Universal The Little Crane That Could (by Abraham Stolk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bram, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Fragglep0p

Fragglep0p Member

May 4, 2011
    Yeah I didn't think about the processor power. My initial thought about it was just a little picture menu of all the vehicles, just before the level loads. But the shake to switch sounds like an awesome idea putting the many functions to use.

I would love to play this on an iPad. I need to start saving :D

2. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    So the fork lift is in, and now available on the app store as v1.5
    The tow truck is also a nice idea.
    Sliding bed should be doable, but the actual towing is done with chains or ropes I presume? The rigid body simulator I use will probably have a hard time simulating a non rigid body like a chain or rope. I'll investigate the possibilities though, so who knows?

Bram

3. The rev man

The rev man Member

May 22, 2011
    I agree with a tow truck

I love this game. You should make a level with a tow truck. That would be cool.

4. Zappel

Zappel New Member

May 22, 2011
    Amazing game!

Hi Bram!
    I just absolutely LOVE your game! I really do. And as you can se from my name, I'm the one who's on the top of the high scores in many of the levels ;) I just wanted to share my enthusiasm, and really encourage you to make a lot more new levels!
    I really hope to see some new levels soon!
    Here are some screenshots of your newest level:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow... you really managed to stack them high!
    I saw your score, and wondered if a cheater hacked the leaderboard.
    Good to know it is actually a genuine score!
    Apple's game center is not really robust: there are some really weird negative scores on the board for some levels.

6. james punnett

james punnett Member

May 25, 2011
    Iphone App Review And Ipad App Review
    new zealand
    Application Reviews

dat was an amazing game,,,, got to know a lot of more things,,, thanx for sharing many more features,,,,,,,

7. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    teaser shot

A screen shot of a new upcoming level, featuring a retro race car.
    Here, the race car is loaded onto the fork lift truck.
    Also I can report that the next update will let you chose which vehicle to use for sandbox play.

[​IMG]

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Now THAT is cool.

Sandbox is about to become a lot more fun! :D

9. benoka

benoka New Member

May 29, 2011
    Awesomeness + some suggestions

Hi Bram,

First of all, let me express my thankfulness about your awesome game, it's simply the perfect one for me, I wish there were levels forever...! :)

On the other hand, I would have some questions and suggestions:

- on the fork lift level, I have a hard time figuring out the solution simply because I'm very bad with even basic chemistry and because I don't really understand the purpose of the level. Do I have to simply put acids on one ramp and bases on the other? Unfortunately the spoiler doesn't seem to work for this level: even though I'm connected to wifi, wheb i tap the spoiler button, it seems to start to load the video, but then jumps back to the game...

- it would be awesome if man could have a way to save or pause in a slightly more sophisticated way. I realized that if my iphone goes to sleep while in the game, or if I exit using the home button to check something, I can start it from the beginning. You simply don't always have or know if you have enough time to complete a level, or you're on a bus and have to get off and forgot to turn auto-sleep off... you know... i guess :)

i thought i wanted to write something more but it seems i must have forgotten, anyway, i would love to read the above addressed in some ways if possible and am certainly looking forward to seeing the new levels!!

all the best!

10. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Benoka, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like the game.

So, yeah... the little crane that could is intended to be the opposite of casual gaming, so I thought the chemistry pop quiz would make a nice addition to the game. To help you: chemicals on the platforms which name ends with an H are bases. These need to go on one platform, the rest on another. Also I am happy to report that I finally uploaded the last two spoiler videos to my web server, so the spoilers for chemistry and clean up now work.

About your other request: It's not that easy to record simulation state. I could make the game adhere to iOS background tasking, but then I would have to solve the timekeeping as well: what if a player has a game in progress backgrounded for a day, and then finishes it. Do I have him score a time fo 24h? I think I need to come up with some code that corrects for the 'sleep time' a player used. Can be done, but I need to find some time to allocate to it.

V1.6 should be coming soon, with a new level, btw. It has already been submitted to Apple for review.

Bram

11. benoka

benoka New Member

May 29, 2011
    just pause...

thanks for the help, i'll try to do it now...

well, i don't know anything about iphone programming, but from a game experience perspective, if you allow the game to pause tapping on menu, the same should be available / possible (?) if the game is running in the background and thus there should be no difference in scoring because while waiting without seeing the ground, you're actually not helped any more than if finishing it without pausing... i hope i make some sense here, haha :)

anyways, looking forward to see the new level!

cheers,
    ben

12. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    v1.6 out

Version 1.6 is out, with the following improvements:

→New level 'daredevil'.
    →Select different vehicles for sandbox (by popular demand).
    →Fixed sliding off from the tower crane's elevator (by player request).
    →Added damping to the ball bearings of the tower crane, so that they will not roll infinitely far when moved.
    →More mass for the elevator and conveyer levers, to reduce jitter when touching the lever.

I saw that already 269 players managed to finish 'daredevil'... congrats! It's good to see people enjoying the little crane that could.

[​IMG]

13. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    I bought the game a week ago and I really enjoy it.
    Are you just working on a new update?

14. Fragglep0p

Fragglep0p Member

May 4, 2011
    hi bram, I think you outdo yourself a little with every update! Love the little vehicle selection for sand box play and the fork lift levels are amazing! Any hint of what you have planned for future updates?
    Was also wondering what modelling program you use?

15. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi, working on 1.7
    As it looks now, the main new feature will be multitasking support.
    And ofcourse also a new level... I never release updates without at least one new level.

Bram

16. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    This sounds great bram. Multitasking would be epic xD Never do the same stuff again and again...

17. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Weeeeee this game is great! I've been playing on my iPhone, but I'll switch to the iPad right away.

It's so damn hard!

18. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Fragglep0p,

I use the excellent Wings3D modeler, an open source clone of Nendo.
    I use it for vehicles, props and landscapes.

The models I make are untextured, and very simple, some may say ugly :)
    However, the simplicity of the visual models helps me keep the visual geometry and collision geometry closely aligned. It's the physics that make the game shine, with what I call WYSIWYC technology, or "what you see is what you collide technology".

Wings3D is a good match here: it's a minimalistic approach to modeling, with precise control over each and every vertex, edge and face. I can recommend it to anyone, especially if you don't need textures.

In the pipeline are multitasking and a new level.

Bram

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The models are beautiful and look great in motion! :)

20. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Sneak peak

Sneak preview of work in progress: the upcoming new level for the little crane that could.
    I plan to submit v1.7 to Apple soon.

[​IMG]