Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    The controls are too small, sometimes I press bullet time instead of jump button, and the games stutters sometimes on iphone4s, so on iphone 4? I imagine that 3gs is too low for this game.

2. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    #282 Ghostz, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    Just change the size of the buttons, that's what I did.
    First time playing this, and it's awesome so far! I love the little details like the snack and soda machines. So far I haven't laughed at his facial texture, trying to go as long as possible.

3. tognesimo

Apr 26, 2011
    It's possible to change the size of buttons? I didn't find this! Anybody speriments stuttering in some situation with an iphone4s?

4. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Just tap on the buttons in the adjust controls option.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Clear your memory every once in a while -- that should take care of the stuttering.

6. tognesimo

Apr 26, 2011
    Ok it's working now, stuttering disappears! The game is fluid now, I had too many apps in background!

7. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm stuck on chapter 5. Im stuck in the burning building where Sgt. Joe Bravuda and the police are after me. What do I do now? I can't seem to find my way out. :eek:

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Here's a detailed walkthrough.

The game was designed for a PC screen, so some of the environmental cues can be rather small ;).

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Thanks. :)

Is there a way to restore the controls to the way they were originally? After customizing them....there doesn't seem to be a way to restore them to the way they were originally. :rolleyes:

10. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    ^ bro, don't bother, ppl here are too sensitive to take criticism XD feel free to be as patronizing are you want, but for christsake DO NOT be a critic here, you're not allowed to disagree, apart from that, i agree with you.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    What that video shows me is how much of the Max Payne experience the iOS version actually captured. It also make it clear why I'm enjoying this playthrough more than my last one a few years ago.

Basically, what you see on that video is a speedrun: the player knows exactly where every enemy will come from and he's placing his shots before they appear on screen. Frankly, that's how I play the game on the PC. That is not how the game is meant to be played: firefights are supposed to be chaotic, bewildering, go-for-broke. Bullet-time is supposed to be there to slow things down so you can make sense of the chaos. As Max says in the game (just as he goes into the Cogniti mansion), control is just an illusion. I find that on the iPhone I'm playing more in that spirit, and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun doing it.

BTW, there are bullet trails when you jump-dodge.

12. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed with how fun this game is. Didn't play it back in the day, but something just clicks. 9mm was fun for what it was, but I'm glad the iOS community is getting the chance to enjoy more quality games like this. Here's to more great ports!

13. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm actually really impressed with how Rockstar handled this. Having not played GTA3 Mobile, I expected a game with a low frame rate, bad lag, and mediocre graphics. It turned out not to be any of the above, at least not enough for me to complain.

Although, I'd really like iCloud support. I'm getting a new iPad in a few weeks, and would like to try Max Payne on it...

14. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    The way the app store allows updates is cool of course. Bug fixes and so on. But on the PS2 you got what you got and learned to live with the game in whatever state it was released. I quite like the way it was. Every thread on this forum has some poor dev implementing features that weren't in his own game just to keep people happy.

Obviously there are some games that benefit from some constructive criticism but I've seen armchair critics complaining about a $1 game's icon and think...jeez give the guy a break!

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Bought this a couple of days ago, and just started playing it now. I have never played the max Payne series before, and this is what I have to say.
    IMO I like 9mm more... But in terms of storyline I'd have to go with Max Payne. If 9mm got a retina display update, I'd honestly delete this and redownload that.
    My opinion.
    But yes, this is worth the $3 I spent on it.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Don't worry about the English -- it's fine. And I definitely miss the shell casings, too -- as I mentioned earlier, the sound of a shotgun shell hitting the floor was iconic. And I'm definitely not saying that the controls couldn't be improved (or that it's a bad idea to improve them).

The thing to keep in mind about that video is that the player clearly has the levels memorized. You can tell: he sits in wait behind the couch after killing the Finito brothers because he knows that more goons will be coming out from the door. That's how I play the PC version now, but that's not how I played it in my first couple of playthroughs. My point is that I'm appreciating the iOS version because it feels more chaotic -- more like the first time I played the game over a decade ago.

Again, I'm not defending the current control scheme, just appreciating it :).

17. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Not sure I understand where you're coming from. You still know where the goons are, don't you? So, a different control scheme shouldn't prevent you from sitting behind the couch and waiting for the other goons all the same.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I do, and I can. But with the generous auto-aim and looser controls, I find myself playing more like I did the first time. Not saying that my reaction is completely rational ;).

19. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I love this game. I remember playing this on the PC years ago, then the Xbox version later down the road. Still a great game and shows why 9mm by Gameloft is a complete and utter trash of a game. Controls are fine once I changed a couple of things like tap to shoot and inverted, still not as smooth as the Xbox or PC versions, but playing this on an iPad 2 on the road is a blast.

By the way, this game is free on freemyapps.com for those looking to get it, which is how I got it. It's a legit site in which they even worked with Apple to have Apple's apps on there

20. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Just finished. Fun ride despite already discussed control issues.

Now onto Max Payne 2 on my PC.