Really good RPGS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by itouchbd, Apr 10, 2013.

1. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    #1 itouchbd, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    RPG's I love:
    Battleheart
    Zenonia 1
    Mage Gauntlet
    Inotia 2(why did they f*ck up)
    Crimsonheart

Im looking for an RPG that isn't 3dl(like ravensword). I've played quite a few that i cannot remember atm. Graphics are important, fun and playability are even more important. Freemium can go die so please none of those.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #2 undeadcow, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    Secret of Mana
    Cavern
    bit Dungeon
    TowelFight 2: The Monocile of Destiny
    West Legends
    Dungeon Heroes

As much as I share your dislike of the freemium model it's becoming a staple particularly with KRPGs so given it's unavoidable nature below are some action RPG games that are fun and have balanced freemium.

AurumBlade
    Dragon Knight IV
    Master of Dungeon

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I believe Master of Dungeon has a paid plus version.

4. cretpetpet

cretpetpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ostia
    Nah, the plus version just mean buying some discounted IAP for premium currency.

Also, why..... Master of dungeon crash on me :(
    I downloaded it awhile back, just tried again today. Still crashing when i try starting new game :( :( its look really cool :(

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Wild Frontier is a really good KRPG that gets overlooked a lot. I think it's permanently free now.

6. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Meh, crimsonheart and wild frontier still don't do it for me. I need my krpgs to be more like secret of mana, less like zenonia.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Current Touch Arcade RPG Darling:
    Mighty Dungeons

8. Which rpgs are better: Square enix ones or Kemko ones?

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Link to Final Fantasy Vs Kemco thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178384

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #10 iPadisGreat, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    From my experience,

Square: Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX (not all games completed)

Kemco: Alphadia 2, Symphony of the Origin

To me, the advantage of the Kemco games is the good pacing. Their segments are so short that I keep playing, just like eating fries and potato chips, once I start, I can't stop. Weakness is the story. I have only played two (not completed), but I already recognise recycled plot points etc. In a way, the Kemco games remind me of Final Fantasy I, the FF I like best for its straightforward RPG gameplay. The disadvantage is lousy story, either due to bad translation, note not transliteration. Also the installed file sizes are tiny compared to the Final Fantasies... Also Kemco RPGs have auto battle, which I think the Final Fantasies now have too. Very useful for taking care of the minions. They also have what seemed like clones of Limit Breaks...

For the Square RPGs, their advantage is in the storyline. If you enjoy stories, quickly pick up Final Fantasy IV and V. II and III's stories did nothing for me, and Final Fantasy Tactics' story seemed overly complex for my taste.

Currently for me, I have deleted all my Final Fantasy apps to save space. I started playing Alphadia 2, but after 9+ hours of enjoyable gameplay, the main plot still seemed like it hasn't gotten started, so I have just switched over to Symphony of the Origin for the time being as some say it ends after 7h.

Alphadia and Alphadia 2 was/is 99¢ temporarily, so you can quickly download it to see if you enjoy the gameplay. A1 is supposedly full of grinding like in KRPGs, but I had no need to grind at all in A2.

11. Thanks for your opinion :D

12. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Cthulhu saves the world is a fan favorite jrpg. I'll try it after ff5. I recommend Ash. Not Ash 2 tho.

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Earlier I limited my recommendations to action based RPGs but if you want to know about turn based options there's only 2 games you need:

Kingturn - a turn based strategy RPG with great plot, amazing depths, and tons of content.
    Fall of Angels - one of the best JRPGs I've played on iOS.

14. Antares88

Antares88 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Rome - Tallinn
    why not retrogaming ?
    there's a ton of amazing old rpgs to play out there :)

15. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Now i would like to know any turn based, i am playing origin and it is a great game turn based.

16. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #16 saansilt, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    Aliens versus humans: XCOM classic on the iphone.
    Call of Cthulu: Story based Turn based battle in the COC universe.
    Tactical soldier: Undead Rising; Story based TBS featuring zombies, easier than COC but still really fun.