Think of your favorite combat system before coming in

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Keyeszx, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Keyeszx

Keyeszx Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #1 Keyeszx, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    Think of your favorite combat system in a video game before coming in and posting and write down details of what made it so great and enjoyable. I've got UDK working again and can't think of a combat system to make. There are just so many choices I can't decide. So I'm going to see what kind of combat people enjoy most. I'm copying this thread from another forum due to a suggestion to try other forums for more ideas since the forum I tried it on was focused on a few types of games. Also I was trying to get help there to fix UDK when it wouldn't work for me.

Sorry if this is off topic. If it is could a mod move it to the proper spot? I plan to use the UDK to make an iOS game but need some inspiration on what to do so I'm using this thread as a inspiration material.

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I enjoy a Gears of War/Shadowgun type combat system. I enjoy third person shooters on the iOS platform more than first person shooters. If you implemented a cover system (similar to Shadowgun, but maybe with your own spin on it) that would be awesome.

If you make any game like this, I will most definitely check it out! :D

If you decide to do a multiplayer, I'll have a few suggestions for that as well.

Good luck! ;)

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    By combat do you mean shooting, or fighting (ala Street Fighter?)

4. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

This.

Or an isometric/top down 3rd person like the upcoming Bullet Time by Kiloo Games.

Something that won't obscure the peripheral vision aspect of the game.

5. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Ah! Nice thinking. A polished top down shooter would be nice.

6. Keyeszx

Sep 10, 2011
    I mean any combat. So anything from shooters, to 2d fighters to action games like jak and daxter or sly cooper or ratchet and clank. Sorry I really enjoy the sony trio games. Maybe games like batman arkham city are fun to play or possibly assassin's creed or rpgs like diablo or final fantasy. Any game where there's a combat system.

7. SoulBlade

SoulBlade Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    #7 SoulBlade, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    I like beat em ups and hack and slash games, so...
    Hybrid eternal whispers- I love how you can combo into everything and infinite juggles and the sheer speed, freedom and variety.
    Devil may cry- pretty much same as hybrid. I also like how flashy the games are.
    Assassin's Creed- the realism in the moves and gore just makes it so satisfying.
    Super smash bros- who doesn't like it?
    GTA- ... Tanks.
    Red Steel 2- I've always thought it would work rather well on the touch screen.
    Bruce Lee for GBA- 1. Its Bruce Lee 2. It may be the best 2-d side scrolling beat em up
    Guardian Heroes- classic.
    PM me if you pick any of these!

8. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I love the way the Street Fighter series has evolved... it seems like a perfectly timed game of strategy which isn't too slow (dull) or too fast (MvC3.... sigh).

Each player has ample time to think about the moves he wants to make with his character, and there are more than enough fighters to showcase a variety of fighting/play styles.

I love that SFIV:Volt brings a similar level of strategy to the iOS platform; in close second behind it would be Bruce Lee: Dragon Warrior. It's sad this title hasn't gotten the attention or recognition it truly deserves since it's one of the best fighters available on the iOS, IMO.

9. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

FFVII: Crisis Core

10. Keyeszx

Sep 10, 2011
    Please state why you like these combat systems. What made them enjoyable? I'm not so much wanting to know what people like to try and copy but to see what they liked about it to try to make that into a unique combat system.

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    What I like about Gears of War and Shadowgun's combat system is the cover system. I think it adds a little bit more strategy shooters. So, an over the shoulder shooter that uses a cover system and has a smart AI is a definite buy for me.

Also breakaway/destroy-able covers are awesome and add to the game's overall excitement.

But just remember if the AI isn't smart enough to progress forward or flank, the exciting and tactical part of a TPS's cover system will be gone!

12. MiguelCruz

MiguelCruz New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    A game comba, like street fight, for IOS I think must have to be simple, not button. Controls can be like infinity blade, but without swords.

I also will enjoy a open world game with Udk, with buttons of course, but more simple possible