Lowlander

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bsabiston, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#1 bsabiston, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    ( Developer Post - Upcoming Iphone/Ipad Game)

Hey — this is a game I’ve been working on, a tribute to old rpg's. Playing Gurk III on my phone convinced me that one-handed portrait style is the way to play this type of game. Check it out and let me know what you think. I hope to release it soon, and may need some beta testers before that happens.

[​IMG]

Return with us, to the days of yesteryear. When 8 colors were enough, and the pixels were individually detectable to the human eye. This is LOWLANDER, a fantasy role-playing adventure from simpler times. This might be your father’s RPG!

Embark on a glorious adventure to save the world from the clutches of the evil sorceress Azamon and her hordes of low-res low-lifes! You begin as a lost and wandering soul who can barely stay alive. Your circumstances will rise in the service of King Shebastian as you help to rid the world of evil. It IS as simple as black-and-white!

Lowlander harkens back to the early days of personal computers. If you’ve been looking to get your nostalgia on, but can’t be bothered to use two hands doing it, then this is the game for you.

FEATURES
    - glorious one handed retro-RPG action
    - approximately 8 hours of minimalist adventure
    - explore a huge world, gain experience and rise in power
    - delve into dark dungeons for loot and riches
    - save your game and resume it later!
    - no in-app purchases. buy once, own forever!
    - Lord British approved!
    - over 8 colors!
    - realistic moving water!

TRAILER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback/comments,
    Bob

[​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #2 psj3809, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    This looks great !!! Old skool graphics, LOVED Ultima, controls look a bit 'different' but i'm sure they work alright. 9th Dawn is great but this is a true Ultima homage.

Edit - Oh i see its portrait only (hence the way the controls are). Bold move, would love to see this landscape which would give you more room. But either way looks great

When is this out ? INSTANT PURCHASE !! (Please dont make this ios8 only or something !)

Also please let us save regularly, a game like this it would be great to play here and there and save whenever you want (as it seems to be a big game)

3. johnchiafos

johnchiafos Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 25, 2013
    Freelance Writer
    San Diego
    This looks GORGEOUS. I miss CGA. :/

Out of curiosity, what font did you use in the game logo?

4. bsabiston

#4 bsabiston, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    @psj3809 -- Thanks! Yeah, ever since I played Gurk III I realized that portrait is the way I want to play a game like this. One-handed, where your fingers have plenty of room. And, since the graphics are so low-res, you can reproduce a decent Ultima screen in the top half of the display.

It's my first game like this, so think more Ultima II than III. That is, you've only got one guy, not the four-man party with the separate fight screen. Also the dungeons are variations on the same overhead view -- I wasn't prepared to deal with 3D Wizardry-style dungeons yet :)

You can save anywhere in the open world, but not in dungeons or towns.

I haven't tested it on anything earlier than iOS 7, but theoretically it should work all the way back to iOS5.
    I submitted it a few days ago -- if they don't reject it, maybe it will be ready for release on Dec 18, next week?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great news. Yeah get your point about portrait. Love the fact the dungeons are proper old skool !

Looking forward to this !!

6. bsabiston

@johnchiafos Thanks! What is CGA?

Also, the font in the title picture is called "Pusab".

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
  8. bsabiston

Ok I thought that was what he meant. I was on an Apple II+ back then. Lowlander uses more colors than it had, but not many more.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can't find this anywhere. Did this miss the Xmas rush ?

10. bsabiston

Lowlander

Yeah, it got rejected last week for bad metadata, so I had to resubmit. It went back into the queue. However, I'm happy to report that it was approved yesterday! :)

Currently it's set to release on Thursday...Are you guys going to do your regular Wed-Thur release list this week, or are you taking the week off? I had my heart set on seeing it appear in the list. :)

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So is this out in NZ ?