Best RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Andgut, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Andgut

Andgut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    canada
    what is the best rpg

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #2 Somerandomdude, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    I'll just list some RPG's out there:

Dungeon Hunter (currently my favorite)
    Elven Chronicles (currently the best Turn Based RPG)
    Zenonia
    Hybrid: Eternal Whisper (more of an Action RPG but whatever)
    Vay
    Ravesword: The Fallen King
    Necromancer Rising (When it comes out. Trust me, it's gonna be good)
    Wolfenstein RPG
    Puzzle Quest (best match 3 game ever)
    The Quest (I've only played a bit of the lite version)
    Underworlds
    Undercroft (never played it)
    Chronicles of Inotia (a sequel is going through approval. We'll most likely see it next year lol.)
    Crusade of Destiny (People seem to like it, but critics have killed it)
    Dungeon & Hero (People and critics have killed it. That includes me)
    TNA Wrestling (surprisingly good,a real underappreciated classic)

So those are some RPG's out there. The better ones (in my opinion at least) are in bold.

EDIT: I forgot Underworlds. How could I, that game ate up an entire class period last year. Me and my friend used to just hang out after doing the very little amount of work in Spanish last year, but he wasn't there one day so I played it for the entire class period. Great game.

3. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    My personal favorite is Undercroft

4. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

I would say dungeon hunter for action, and ravensword for adventure:)

5. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Dungeon Hunter for now.

Chronicles of Inotia 2 in like a week when Apple finally approves it.

6. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

This is like the Nth thread asking for the best ___ game, without specifying any preferences.
    For the last time Zenonia is the best quality for KRPGs, and The Quest/Undercroft are the best quality for western RPGs. There aren't any quality action RPGs so far.

7. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I didn't like The Quest.... i dunno why, it just didn't seem that good, i wish could see some of this depth that everyones talking about..

8. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

True, but dungeon hunter comes closest.

9. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    Ravensword.

Zenonia and Ravensword are the best RPGs.

10. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Ravensword is fun and great graphics but it's not an rpg. It's an adventure game.

I like Undecroft and The Quest too. It took me a while to get into the quest but I'm having fun with my Archer/Mage combo. Getting Mark and Recall and learning the lay of the land also helped a lot.

11. TombStone

TombStone Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Crusade of Destiny

12. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Dungeon Hunter is even further away from RPG-s (it's a hack 'n' slash game), people still call it one.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    mattmanp is right about Ravensword, though I would say that it has RPG elements. Dungeon Hunter gives you full leveling control (you can assign attributes as you wish), as well as a fully developed magic and item system, so yeah, it is an RPG. That's not saying that it's a good action RPG (I'm not stepping into that one), but it certainly fits within the genre.

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Well, Dungeon Hunter's story isn't deep enough to be called an RPG. It's just endlessly killing monster while leveling and getting new weapons sometimes (according to lite version and reviews/videos) making it a hack 'n' slash game.

15. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    except for, that's not the story. don't dog a game's story, if you aren't aware of it.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I would say it has about as much story as the original Diablo. In any event, anybody who's played Gods of War or even Hero of Sparta will notice the difference immediately.

17. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    The Quest is by far the ONLY good RPG for HARDCORE gamers (at least for now). Sure, at first it doesn't seem very appealing, but just force yourself to play for 1hr, and before you know it you'll be immersed in a incredible world. I bought all the expansions (there are 3 so far) and all the expansions can be installed in the main app (that way you only have one icon to save room).

What makes the quest good is the variety of quests. It's not your "Go there and kill 5 of these monsters." All of the Quests force you to think and figure out where you should go and who to talk to; not to mention what's the right thing to say (as there all multiple branches to the quests that could affect what happens in other quests). It's also not linear; you're free to go about the world and talk to different people to play different side quests. Also, there is absolutely NO lvl grinding; the turn-based combat system is fun and really let's you plan out your moves.

Anyways; it's just great... over 200hrs of greatness.:)

18. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Ravensword is not an RPG, it's more of a 3D version of Hybrid or something. It's hardly good at being an adventure game anyways, with an average of 3 monsters per map, ugly character models, and no visible stats on weapons or attack/defense.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Every time I hear someone sing the praises of The Quest, I wish that I had the patience to put up with that hour required for immersion. Alas, I am a weak, superficial man...

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I would put it in much nicer terms, but I agree with the sentiment. (Frankly, Aurora, I'll never understand where you get the "3 monsters per map" notion. That number is factually wrong).