Need advice on updates regarding New & Noteworthy listed app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by saratpediredla, Mar 23, 2010.

1. saratpediredla

saratpediredla Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Partner, hedgehog lab
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    Hi all,

Our first game ever has made the Apple New & Noteworthy list in the Apple UK Store but I had a question regarding this which I am unable to find the answer for.

Essentially, before we found out that we were on the list, we were prepping our 1.1 update. However, now we are on there, I am afraid that submitting an update will put the app back into the approval process and remove the app listing from New & Noteworthy?

Does anyone have insight into the impact of updating your app while it is being featured by Apple?

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No, an update is a separate approval process. Your app will stay in the store while the update is being approved.

Updates while being featured is better, more visibility.

3. saratpediredla

Mar 17, 2010
    Partner, hedgehog lab
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    Thanks for the awesomely quick response Zincous. Phew! Good to know that updates will not affect our Featured listing :)

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Your welcome :D

5. There is also the school of thought that says "While being featured, don't touch ANYTHING!" :eek:

I've heard many stories from developers, including me, who changed something and it had a negative effect on sales.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if it was from what you changed or just coincidence though.

App Store superstition at its best. ;)

6. blackmouth

blackmouth Member

Mar 17, 2010
    consultant
    New York, NY
    #6 blackmouth, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    My game is featured in Germany's new and noteworthy starting today.

Does is stay on this list for a full week?

I changed an image. :D

7. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    We were fortunate enough to have Pig Rush featured in New and Noteworthy in the US, Mexico, Canada, and Japan last week.

I read somewhere that Apple refreshes the New and Noteworthy list every Tuesday, so I'm assuming something will change by the end of today.

I'm just curious what happens after the one week. Does an app move up in the list, or is it no longer considered "New"? Will it go to "What's hot" if it did well?

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #8 Flickitty, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    No each category is completely separate. Flickitty never made it to "New and Noteworthy", but it was featured under "What's Hot". Some apps move from one category to another, but it isn't a guarantee.

I agree with MindJuice, that it is often best to leave things alone. Unless your app has a fatal bug that needs to be fixed right now, leave it alone. Some developers say 'but I have new features that I want to show off'. It doesn't matter, people are already buying it and it is featured, LEAVE IT ALONE until the feature wears off. Nothing could be worse than an update that INTRODUCES a fatal bug, then your reviews and sales will immediately plummet.

9. saratpediredla

Mar 17, 2010
    Partner, hedgehog lab
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    Doh! I didn't see the later replies and had our app prepared for a 1.1. Just managed to see Flickitty's note and I am totally undecided now!

I see MindJuice and Flickittys points but I think our 1.1 update has a very significant bit of features added. Actually there are no major bug fixes at all. However, now I am worried that just the mere act of submitting an update will drop it out of the featured apps section.

Back to limbo land :)

10. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I've noticed that Eggbot's Irish Adventure has made New & Noteworthy today and has also been updated today. Of course, I don't know which came first in time. However, the game is still there. Maybe you should PM the dev for his opinion. acakebread. Just an idea...

11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    You can definitely do an update while you're featured. I did one while Super Juicy was featured in "Hot New Games" a couple weeks ago.

12. saratpediredla

Mar 17, 2010
    Partner, hedgehog lab
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for this. I just wanted some real world experience. I am between both opinions. I can see why it's not good to "rock the boat" but we KNOW that the updates we have are super awesome and will help playability.

Hearing it from someone who has been there gives me comfort that atleast some of my opinion is based on experience :)

13. The sooner you do the update, the more people will get to see it.

There are people who will get your app and delete it before the update comes out.

There are people who never download updates.

Your update could give you the extra burst of power you need to take your game even higher than it is now.

Be careful that you aren't releasing something with bugs, but don't wimp out on being as awesome as you can just because a few extra bucks are rolling in from a feature.

The feature is a reward for your game being good, don't repay that reward be being afraid to be better.

That said, I have never had a feature, so take my words with a grain of salt.

14. baldong

baldong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    as my experience, update will not effect the "New and Noteworthy" status. We update Watermelon! after 3 days it was featureed, and nothing changed at all.

15. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    If you're submitting an update which adds a feature, why not put a brief note at the end of the current description to say there's an update coming and what you're adding?

16. saratpediredla

Mar 17, 2010
    Partner, hedgehog lab
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    @shen - Amen. I agree.

@baldong - Thanks for sharing

@Astra - I was actually going to do it but thanks for the hint :)