Help with "Tiled"

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dannys95, May 22, 2009.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    OK so I'm up to another project. :D . I am using Tiled because it looks like it will save me time / make things work out fine.

Now, I know I need to do Tilesets > New Tileset ; and there I import my tileset.

Now here's my question. How on earth do you import a background?! I made a 512x512 map (and my background image is 512x512 .png) but I'm trying to import it as a tileset as well and it is not working!!

Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    You probably don't want to load a background in tiled, tiled just makes the level. Load the background texture in your program and draw it in the back :-D

We used Tiled for Bounce On so you can do a lot with it!

3. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Oh OK so I just make like for example (thinking Bounce On here) the blocks and where the pieces go right? And then I just place that over my background image?

4. jonaswills

Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
  5. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Ahhh.....in that case, I don't need tile.

I'm doing something similar you linked to. Basically, I have a 512x512 image that repeats constantly, then some trees and stuff I manually add, and other stuff.

So it ends up doing something like Bounce On / what you linked to.

Basically, tell me if I'm wrong, but whatever I can do in Tiled I can do in Photoshop right?

6. jonaswills

Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    You *can* its just a little tougher. With Tiled we can create different layers for different objects, plus when you save a tiled level you aren't saving a big image, just a data file pointing to the textures and where they should go. We also have an object layer for placing enemies and triggers which would be weird to do in photoshop. We take the level created from tiled and compile it into our own format so it is easier for us to load, but you could load straight from the .tmx as well.

7. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #7 dannys95, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Yeah I know. But I'm having trouble with the Tiled "controls". I like to "visually" see what I'm doing. Besides, it's not a ".tmx" file I need. The level has to be an image, so a .tmx file is not very useful for me.

Is there a real difference in my particular case? Photoshop is acting a bit rough with placing the blocks where the character will walk on..............but I need to place them originally in Photoshop to see how the level will turn out. I think then I will place the blocks in Tiled and save it as a image so it will look nicer / more compact.

Thanks!

8. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sep 15, 2008
    Hey Danny,

That's awesome you are working on a game! Very cool! Hopefully we can beta test for you at some point :)

-Keith

9. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #9 dannys95, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    LOL. In this case I'm doing visuals for a game. But soon, when I get it Mac, expect a game from me! ;)
    Thanks!!

10. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Decided to dump Tiled and go with Photoshop. Heck, even the Toki Tori levels are made in photoshop. Sorry Tiled..............

</thread>

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    OK. So it turns out I need to use Tiled for this after all. Mainly because it tiled everything to 40x40 squares which is needed.

But it is a pain in the butt for me to use. I just can't figure it out. I'm made a 512x512 image a tileset and it's reading it as a really small image..........I just don't understand how the heck to use it.

So I need help. If ANYONE has used it before, please help me out or send me a link to a tutorial or guide or something. Thanks!