Legend of Fantasia (RPG Ideas)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Hey Forum,

I have been inspired here recently and since then I have been thinking about a lot of RPG ideas and I want to share some of them with you :)

Title:
    -Legends of Fantasia (just a working title)
    -Legends of X (X= cool name for the world)

Premise:
    Aside from specific ideas/details (more on that later) the main goal is to create a flexible epic RPG. The key being flexibility! Instead of creating an immersive 8-15 epic RPG, I want to create the same end result/effect, but in bite-size chunks and modes optimized for a specific gameplay experience. For example: a legend game mode, a quest game mode, arena ect.

The 'legend mode' will provide multiple story driven RPG experiences, albeit linear in fashion and filled with cut-scenes offering about 3-5 hours of gameplay.

The 'quest mode' will be more open in nature the same exact world as 'legend mode' but instead of a linear experience it's more open. There can also be a social element to the quests (more on that later)

Arena mode is focused primarily on just combat no exploration just straight up combat, possibly optimized for multiplayer exp.

There of course can be more modes as well.

The key as stated above is flexibility, they are not isolated from each other. Which is to say that when you play legend mode even though it's optimized for the typical story driven exp that doesn't mean their won't be any side quests the same quest you can play in quest mode can also be available in legend mode. And that's not to say quest mode won't have any story or cutscens. There will be interplay with the modes of course, some legends won't open up until you complete quests or purchase them via in app purchases, and some quests won't be available until you unlock or open it up while playing legend mode. There is also an element of consistency they all share the same world and player data will be interchangeable so when you level up in quest mode you will carry that exp over to legend mode.

Social:
    The next area is social features. This is not to be confused with multiplayer features which are also great additions to games too. The social features I speak of are:

-groups: this will allow gamers to create and join communities within the game. Also if there are multiplayer features ( co-op, competitive) having a community will make it easier to orginize events around the multiplayer feats.

-Barter/Trade/Auctions: this is a no brained but it is often overlooked. If the game includes say an alchemy system (DQ8) a social auction system would be even better.

-Subquest system: this idea is interesting one of the core ideas that started this whole idea bomb. The idea is that players can commission quests as in create and publish quests. How this will actuall pan out I'm not sure just that I think it would be interesting for players to be able to define objectives.

multiplayer:
    I would love to implement a battle system /gameplay that is capable of providing both co-op and competitive multiplayer exp.

That is all for now :) Up next battle system ideas, controls, tidbits of IP/story/lore, character development thoughts and more...

2. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    omg i love this guy. im going to steal so much of his stuff because he never copyrights or gets patents or licenses any of it. he just gives me money left and right!

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I know, right? I mean, seriously, unless you're going to put them to put use, stop giving them away for free!

4. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    They're just simple suggestions. I don't see what's the deal about sharing suggestions. If he pasted a 10mb powerpoint presentation then that is copyrighted material. Oo

5. blk04a4

blk04a4 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    xray tech
    bay area cali
    im always a fan for getting into a game str8 from scratch. I agree that trading is overlooked in many rpgs for the iphone, and imo so are subquests. it seems whenever i play an rpg i spend so much time grinding! i will continue to follow your progress!

6. lehua125

lehua125 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    The key as stated above is flexibility, they are not isolated from each other. Which is to say that when you play legend mode even though it's optimized for the typical story driven exp that doesn't mean their won't be any side quests the same quest you can play in quest mode can also be available in legend mode. And that's not to say quest mode won't have any story or cutscens. There will be interplay with the modes of course, some legends won't open up until you complete quests or purchase them via in app purchases, and some quests won't be available until you unlock or open it up while playing legend mode. There is also an element of consistency they all share the same world and player data will be interchangeable so when you level up in quest mode you will carry that exp over to legend mode.

7. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    ok..imagine i went back in time and spoke to bill gates.. do you think he'd "share a suggestion" about windows or what he planned to do? no.. he'd be a complete idiot.

so yes. by all means keep telling people your stuff. so they can make the money.

i wonder about a person who gives stuff away like this.. i wonder if its like.a mental illness.. because no one who is sane does this. honestly