What do YOU look for in a platform game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DistantJ, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GigiFusc

GigiFusc Active Member

Oct 24, 2012
    This is a very interesting thread for me as we are also releasing our platform game in the new year.

The thing that I would like to know though is more with regards to the popularity of the genre. Are platform games as popular as they were on 8 & 16 bits? For me - platformers are probably one of my favourite genres.

But what are the sales figures like for IOS/Android based platformers? Do lots of people download them?

Have you seen any stats or figures for any of the games mentioned in this thread?

2. GigiFusc

GigiFusc Active Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Ooh err... I seem to have killed this thread! Sorry. :(

Quick someone. Go back to discussing mechanics!

3. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Well, they're a nice niche, especially retro ones, as there aren't too many of them on iOS and those which are available are mostly shallow and repetitive. My platform games have done well enough to support me creating more, but I do know fellow developers who deserve a lot more success than they get, Sicy Giro for example make superb platform games but neither so far have sold as much as they deserve to. It's one hell of a tough market when people want fully fledged video games for $1!

4. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    the music needs to fit the game