The Quest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aikavari, Feb 26, 2014.

1. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Quick question. Are their any questions similar to "The Quest" but Universal (or for Ipad)? On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate them? Please rate The Quest as well so I have a baseline. :)

2. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The Quest is an easy 8-9, there's nothing else exactly like is for iOS. The most similar titles are blobers like Undercroft and the new Coldfire Keep; of which Undercroft is my favorite, by far the better of the two listed and more similar to The Quest. However, those are not the only two blobers for iOS, other option exist.

Personally I'd give Undercroft the same 8-9 rating; it's not as massive as The Quest, not as open-world but it is more open-world than other blobers and you get a full party instead of just one character.

3. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    how would you rate coldfire?

edit: sadly undercroft is not universal. :-(

4. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I play The Quest games on my ipad mini even though it's not universal.

The nature of the hand drawn pixelated graphics makes it stretch well, I find. And in no time at all, I got used to it.

I have tried many of these and The Quest is still my favorite.

I have not spent enough time on ColdFire to recommend it fully, right now I am experiencing too many bugs so I've shelved it until the developer gets a few patches in. I did enjoy my 4-5 hours with it so far, though, despite the flaws.

Another game to check out is Silversword. I bought it but haven't played it yet, however it comes highly recommended by good sources.

There is also QuestLord, which I have on my android phone and really enjoy it. It's a bit more simplistic but that's sometimes all I need/want.

5. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    ok ill check it out thanks!

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Silversword reminds me more of the Bard's Tale Trilogy whereas The Quest was more like the love-child of Might and
    Magic and Oblivion...

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, I just fired up silversword last night, read the manual, created my party and that was almost an hour later lol so I didn't get to actually play it.

It looks quite complex, but I'm dedicated to try it out. Have you spent a lot of time with it?

As for The Quest, that's a really good way to describe it, actually. A lot of elements reminded me of Morrowind, which is very similar to Oblivion. And the movement system is just like might&magic (grid based).

I'm just a sucker for any 1st person RPGs, grid based or not. Wish we had a port of Ultima Underworld on IOS though. I remember playing through it on my pocket PC.

8. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Did nobody play Daggerfall? If you haven't and you enjoy the Quest you really ought to try it out. You can still get it free from Bethesda's site, PC only of course, but any modern machine will run it.

9. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    i played daggerfall... its probably the most "open world" game in existence... maybe to the point of being too open LOL.

10. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Perhaps but I really enjoyed the early game's mercenary lack of narrative. I always skip the main quest in Bethesda Games and oddly enough Daggerfalls main quest is actually my favorite.

11. siveon

siveon Member

May 15, 2013
    Undercroft, I believe is universal. I like the combat way more-so than in The Quest, but the dungeons, the story, the look sometimes just feels a bit stale. It's free though, so it's hard to complain. Average 5/10 for me.

The Quest, I sort of dislike. It's kind of like the older Elder Scrolls series, but it has the same problems. Boring quests, boring combat almost a nonexistent narrative. An above average 6/10 because there are few RPG's like this on the iOS. A bit odd, when I first got my iPhone I expected there to be a lot more first person dungeon crawlers.

Silversword is definitely on my to-buy list, any other blobbers?

12. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    There's Oubliette and the Bards Tale games but if you don't like Undecroft or The Quest I'm not sure why you like those. Possibly Coldfire keep might interest you, as it's a straight dungeon crawl more akin to the recent Legends of Grimrock on PC.

Out of curiosity what blobers do you like? There aren't exactly any with an interesting narrative and most don't have any quests at all.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    SilverSword is the best of the lot if you need a Universal dungeon crawler - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=116287

QuestLord is another great Universal first person dungeon crawler essential for any fans of the genre - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=177686

So it's iPhone only... but everyone really should at least try Tumulus of Fen (which is just free) - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=97719

It hasn't gotten a lot of attention but Eternal Throne is Universal; I've never played it so "just saying..." http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=87380

...same for the free to try, and Universal, Oubliette RPG - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=65314

...there's also the infamously buggy but Universal Dungeon Masters - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173351

14. siveon

siveon Member

May 15, 2013
    That's not really what I look for in a Blobber, but that's what both The Quest and Undercroft had so I judged them as such. My main complaint about both of them is the boring combat and easy dungeons/puzzles.

My favorite blobbers, from the ones that I've played is M&M3, Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry 6 and Dungeon Master. Honorable mention to the non-Blobber Ultima Underworld for being awesome.

The Bards Tale port sucks by the way, it's probably better on iPad but on iPhone it's damn near unplayable.

15. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Wizardry 6, now thats something I miss playing... when did that come out?