iPad vs. 20 year old PC?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I am guessing, but I guess with 99% certainty that today's iPads have far more computing power than a balls to the wall PC from 20 years ago, right?

So, why can't we get more games with some serious depth to them?

I know that many people like 10 minute sessions on mobile devices, but many people also spend hours a day playing on mobile devices. I would, if I could find some seriously deep games that I liked. I no longer watch much TV, but have replaced most of TV with my mini. I use my mini 4 to 5 hours a day.

My only concern is that I like using a mouse.... PC gamer, I am...

I think that if I had a mini that could use a mouse, it could be the perfect gaming device for me, as long as I could find games with serious, substantial, gameplay. DEEP strategy games.... More full blown RPGs.

I wonder if devs don't think they could make money, or whether they just can't create the games I prefer. I don't need awesome graphics. To give you an idea of my kind of games...... Capitalism, Witcher, TSR " Gold Box " D and D games.

I am not saying we don't have those games.... Obviously we have XCOM, Baldur's Gate, and some others, but just not enough of them.

I want to puke every time I see new endless runners, jewel games, slot machine games, Angry Bird style games.....

Where's The Beef?

2. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    We currently have these expensive controllers.

3. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Economics? If people wanted hard core games they'd pay for them and therefore encourage further development, but where mobile gaming is right now, that's casual, that's where the money is. Unfortunately I can't see that changing any time soon, but I didn't buy an ipad, etc for the console/pc experience, I bought them as multi purpose mobile devices, that happen to play games

4. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Check out these games:

Avernum: Escape From the Pit HD
    Avadon: The Black Fortress HD
    Avernum 6 HD
    King of Dragon Pass

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree, i get depressed seeing all the runner games every week or the usual Doodle Jump/Angry Bird clones.

To me graphics dont matter so much, its all about gameplay. Wish devs would sometimes spend more on gameplay than whizzy graphics/music. Like others have said iOS is still known for cheap casual gaming.

But its great when games such as Star Wars KOTOR or X-Com are AAA titles and sell tons. Shows there is a market there for quality titles. Oceanhorn is another which has sold very well according to the charts.

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Another vote for King of Dragon Pass. Games don't come much deeper than that.

7. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    I will check it out.... Never heard of it before this thread.

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    iPads & iPhones are not gaming devices... According to Apple. Until Apple see this differently. We won't see fully blown games for iOS. The late SJ never liked games anyway.. Think Apple are just holding gaming community back.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I second all of those, they are about as excellent as you can currently get in the roleplaying genre on iOS.
    Add Baldur's Gate, and you are pretty much set for the next weeks or months.

Did not play KOTOR yet, as I am not that much into Star Wars, and then firmly on the Empire's side ;) But heard only good things about it, and have it on my "games to get" list.
    Shadowrun Returns I really liked as well, but did not finish it yet. Still has too many bugs, plus lots of crashes on iPad2, and it only saves at preset checkpoints. Due to which I cannot fully recommend it in good conscience, but with that caveat I will put it out there.

For tactics, I recommend the Kingturn series.
    If you really want to dive into it, take a look at the two Ravenmark games. First is singleplayer with long campaigns, second is multiplayer. Both are excellent.
    Warhammer Quest is also very good in the tactics corner.
    For 4X strategy, Starbase Orion is the best you can currently get.
    Imperium Galactica is quite decent, too.

10. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Posted on a site called "Touch Arcade". Okaaayyy....

11. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    So they don't like the millions of dollars from gaming? I bet they sure do.

Anyway, Avernum looks awesome, and exactly what I was talking about, as far as I can tell.

12. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Yoda?? :D

Re the mouse.... That seems like such a backward step for a touchscreen device. I can't see Apple ever endorsing those. In many respects, perhaps you'd be better off with a surface / surface pro. Access to all those Pc games. I mean, i get where you're coming from... I keep considering a surface pro 2, pretty much exclusively so i can play the full blown Football Manager from the comfort of my bed/anywhere. I realise that'd be madness but the mobile version doesn't interest me one bit.

13. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    BAM. If you want hardcore games, there are plenty to play on the 360, PS3, PC.

There will be a few to play on the next generation consoles, but articles are emerging that suggest consumers wait for another year to decide between the PS4 and the ONE. Even the WII U has a fighting chance of staying alive.

I love my iPad/iPhone for its casual games base. Still though, there are many hardcore games available and Touch Arcade seems to mention them.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think there is a great wide range of ios games though from simple casual pick up and play, to tons of retro stuff to tons of big RPG's like Ravensword and my favourite Aralon.

I mean you can get Sonic the Hedgehog on iOS, tons of levels on that one, its not some simple 5 level game and complete in a few hours type of game. Theres loads of large games out there, specially retro stuff.

I'm loving FT Soccer 14 where you play all the matches in a season, on my 6th season and loving it, play a few games here and there when i have time so its a great managerial type of game.

But it bothers me when i hear people saying 'pah iphones, just angry birds isnt it ?' which is so wrong.

There are games with depth to them but in my view iOS fans can be a fickle bunch, i've heard lots of sad stories of studios working for months on a game and then get just 300 sales in the first month and they have to close down.

The larger well known retro games (KOTOR, GTA etc) do well as people know those games. But to create a brand new epic game must be quite a risk for a lot of companies out there so they dont bother. All that work and then when it comes out people wait for a price drop or for it to go free and the company dont make enough money to survive.

15. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Actually if you watch the keynotes they have stated that the iPhones and iPads are also gaming devices. I mean if they weren't gaming devices why would they bring the infinity blade games to the device keynote? Because it shows the graphical power of the iPhone and iPad. And if there not gaming devices why would they allow game controller support? If they weren't gaming devices they would do the opposite.

They may have said that years and years ago. But it's obviously not the case anymore. It's not up to apple, it's up to the devs, cause most devs want to make the most money with the least effort they can.

16. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Agree with this 100%

Yes, it's very depressing to see the App Store filled with more trash daily like runners, angry birds crap and freemium rubbish games purely designed to bleed the gamer dry.

I'd love to see more classic PC games brought to ios.

17. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    iPhone

I think certain styles of games worked better at first on the iPhone platform, like the endless runners, match 3, birds in slingshots and whatnot. But as they add 3rd party controller support, AirPlay streaming, and of course the A6 and A7 chips we will see more complex games.

The economics have to support this of course, which means more people willing to pay over free for an app.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep this is what i find really depressing. Theres so much old content just sat there doing nothing, i know for many games its all to do with the rights and who owns what etc.

Eg classic Spectrum games from the 80's by Ultimate, they became RARE, they were then later bought up by Microsoft.

Just depressing theres so many great games out there gathering dust doing nothing. Dont get me wrong i know it cant be easy porting games, its not like you can click your fingers and its done. But look at old arcade games, would love to buy a Bombjack compilation app, or even Bombjack running on a locked down emulator, happily buy that. But sadly i cant.

Disney must own the rights to old Star Wars games, instead of giving us some dull Star Wars card battle game just re-release Rogue Squadron (Would work very well on iOS) and even let someone convert Dark Forces to iOS (Same guys who did Shadow Warrior or Duke Nukem).

Its a shame the only way to play these old classics is to find them on some dodgy websites out there or via an emulator. I want to play them, i want to pay for them, just they're not there.

Just wish sometimes companies would re-release the original version (Eg Syndicate) instead of talking about bringing out a new improved version. Sometimes they dont have to add the 'bells and whistles' on, people just want the classic to play again on their device.

19. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I love threads like this. Every week, theres at least one or two really good deep games released on the ios store. How many games are released weekly for the big consoles that are really good?

This past week has seen Battle of the Bulge, Skulls of the Shogun. Last week, Sorcery2 and several others. Also Plague Inc was updated with MORE content for an already great game. The notion that there aren't deep games for the idevices is ridiculous. Theres lots of "casual" games (although the fact that they may be game types that don't appeal to YOU specifically doesn't necessarily make them bad games. Something like Badlands is a pretty great game) but there's a wealth of great games from lots of different genres available...

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. I remember back in the 80's when you had to wait months for a game to come out. Same for many games in the 90's.

With iOS i cant believe how many games we get every week, and theres also sometimes one or two bonuses appear throughout the week.

When its a 'bad' week for me where i pick up one game, it actually gives me time to play all the other games i've already got.

I think we're very spoilt and a bit greedy to be honest ! We're so used to games coming out all the time we start to moan if its been a 'quiet week/month' ! But back in the 80's i would save up for weeks to buy a game, i would then play it to death as i had saved pocket money for it.

One issue with iOS is the saturation, there are so many games coming out, so many free ones as well, sometimes you just dont give some of your favourite games the play they deserve as 5 seconds later another game comes out !

Again i love the variety of iOS games, its not just all Angry Birds/runners, theres a wide range of RPG's/strategy and other games out there, its an amazing platform