Universal Midnight Star - an epic sci-fi shooter in 2 apps

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richdmoore

richdmoore Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Totally agree. Mfi support is becoming a required feature for fps apps for me. It looks good, but I probably won't pick it up unless mfi controllers are supported.

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally get it. Since the app is free, you know I'd still love for you to grab it when it's out (currently soft launched in IE, PH, SW, NZ & AUS) and give me some feedback. I'm admittedly biased, but I think we've hit on a touch scheme that feels better and better the better you get at it... (that's a lot of "better's," sry).

In fact, if you're interested, I have a few codes left from this build and could send to you to try out now if you're not in one of those territories, let me know!

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    The graphics look great. Looks like there was a lot of put into this.

I am in the US so I would love a code that is reserved for those not in the soft launch territories.

When will you be releasing in other areas?

Thanks!

4. richdmoore

richdmoore Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I didn't realize it is a freemium type of game. Thanks for the offer for the beta, but I am fine waiting for an official release. It sounds like it will be out soon in the US.

I think the touch controls for fps games are very important, as that is what most people will use. However, I still see the value in mfi controller support for those who wish to use them as well.

I am still hopeful that apple will finally upgrade the Apple TV with an App Store and mfi controller support (like Google & amazon has with their set top boxes), I feel it will make many more developers develop an alternative mfi controller interface, in addition to the on screen controls.

5. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I share that hope (about Apple TV). There's a ton of chatter in the community about a bunch of boxes that will function like you're talking about.

We ultimately chose to tackle touch controls because it's an interesting challenge. We think we've got something that feels accurate and satisfying (and gets more satisfying the better you get at it), but you guys will have to tell me if I'm right or full of it.

@Lavender, I'll send you a PM!

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    My memory was back immediately when i watched that great trailer again in the old thread, way back in december 2012 ! Omg, that old already. So i had (wanted) to read through three different threads (old, this and soft launch) to get me a complete new picture of this game. Now, due to my "offensive inquiry" for one of those leftover codes (thanks Tim), i'm able to sink some time into this ...hmm... very mixed bag of "HURRAYs" and "OH NOs".

I wanted to give you some very quick and honest first impressions and have to mention that i only finished level 1, therefor twice. I love to play the tutorial a few times in some games, just to make sure i'm good to go. Ok than...

"Hurray" stands for a great on-rails shooter which i absolutely don't mind having once or twice a year, really. It also stands for these nice graphics, incredible intelligent AI behaviour and slick movements, interesting shooting/melee/shield mechanics which controls very fine, and also for the manually 90% left/right movement possibility, which takes away quite a bit of the usual on-rails feeling. In my books; exceptionally well done, Devs !

"OH NO" stands for log-in/create account/play as guest which normaly indicates (to ME!) a constant online requirement, f2p with timers and consumables iap's only and/or lots of grinding for the coins.
    After level 1 i lost some of my powers and was prompted to replenish them again to continue (enough starting credits are given for a few times) or wait ONE+hour to game on...big ouch.

While i keep in mind that it is still in soft launch and again, i'm only one level in with no greater experience and know-how so far, usually there won't be too many changes towards premium buyers as i am. If you can pull off a f2p model as Sky Force, then and only then i'm very pleased to put my 5-10 bucks into your basket. Please, dear Devs, have a good and close look at those permanent iap's (restore purchase) which made the waiting much, much shorter but the fun much, much longer. A coin doubler is also very welcome for my preferences. None available in this version. And for the record; i never mind a $100 iap for those who want it and for you to have a payback for all your time and money you invested over the last few years. It should pay you off, i hope.

Good luck Tim and team !

7. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    You don't need an internet connection to play

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Played the first few levels last night and first impressions are great, the artist needs a raise! (haha) One quick note, the text is almost unreadable on an iPhone 5. It looks as if there was room for them to be enlarged without compromising anything. Also hoping that loading times are quickened a bit. Also as I was signing up it stating it was transferring a gift to me and that failed. No big deal but I think it had to do with timing out or something. Enjoying it a lot though. Thanks!

9. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #69 amusing Grace, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    My game timed out when transfering that gift.
    I saw your scores yesterday and look forward to some friendly competition. If anyone else is intersted add me on Gamecenter.

One Issue i have: i upgraded armory and engeneering yesterday and now even 12hrs later it offers me to "Expedite", even though upgrade is supposed to take 6hrs? Level 1 stuff is unlocked, but level still says zero.
    Could this be a minor bug?

And yeah, the f2p energy thingy is not very obvious as sometimes i ran out of it during a mission.

But, i still enjoy this new take on On-rails shooter so far.

EDIT my issues with upgrades solved themselves somehow.

10. lukey89

lukey89 Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I definately cannot wait to get my hands on this game! Seems like forever ago when i saw the first trailer. Ive been anxiously waiting for an official release for idk how long :)

11. Marley

Marley Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Let me point out just how dissapointing it is to see such a colorful & beautiful environment and not have the ability to actually be able to explore it. Also the controls are somewhat hard to grasp and more so during combat with mutliple enemies . Finally the fee to play approach is very unwelcome .

12. AwfullyNiceStudios

AwfullyNiceStudios Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Kufsten/Austria
    Impressive.... i like the poster a lot as you can read the shapes very clearly.

13. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #73 amusing Grace, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Solved :)

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Qwertz, thanks for the feedback (dev here, for those joining the thread). I'm obviously pleased by your first impressions of the environments enemies and controls--we put a ton of time and effort into those to make them feel/look great, so thanks for that.

I'd encourage you to get through a few more missions to see the game in all its splendor. We're teaching you things about the controls and the world throughout the 1st four missions, and you come out of that a world-saving, enemy-blowing-up machine. If you continue, I'd love to get your "2nd impression" as well.

As far as the online mechanics-- we tried to make it as fair as possible and keep you playing. You can switch out guns and change loadout to keep rocking, particularly after you obtain another gun or two. And there is a doubler-- it's just called "XP Doubler," for levelling and there's Gear called "Element Boost" which increases the pickup Element that you get as you find it in the environments (or blow up Element-laden objects). That goes a long way to mitigating any mechanics you might find troublesome.

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts as you get further! And for those of you in other countries, it's not too far off now! I hope to have some announcements very soon!

Also, if any of you guys are in the soft launch countries (Ireland, Philippines, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia), you can also get the graphic novel app, Midnight Rises! It's free also, and reading it/finding stuff in it gets you a bunch of in-game rewards as well. Here's the link (would also love feedback on it).

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We've announced the 1st date for our launches!

(I say "launches," bc Midnight Star is actually 2 apps-- Midnight Rises, the graphic novel experience, and Midnight Star, the sci-fi shooter)

So the 1st launch will be Midnight Rises on 1.29.15 (this Thursday!), and it's sci-fi author John Scalzi's 1st graphic novel ever. He announced the date on his blog on Friday, and we followed up with our announcement as well (check out the cover of the "book" below and our released screens from it are here)

Everything kicks off worldwide on 1.29.15!

[​IMG]

16. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Midnight star has a launch date! 2.5.15

[​IMG]

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Looking forward to it and playing the final version.
    The very best of luck with it guys, ye have put an enormous amount of work into it, it shows in the changes that have gone on over the soft launch period and I certainly hope it does very well.

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Rip. Hope you enjoy the launch release next Thursday-- there's a bunch more upgrades and a redesigned Challenge creation system.

If you didn't see the article here today, it's got a Twitch stream from a few weeks ago that gives you some insight into gameplay and playing at higher levels.

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I doubt any amount of game design can make an on-rails shooter good (as it is flawed right to its core), but I will try to go into this game with an open mind.

20. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Wait did I miss something? This is an on-rails shooter? Oh dear noooooo..... I am not gonna take it if that's the case, on-rails are depressing as hell, not behind able to control is a huge minus for me