iPhone Magic: the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Talbs, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
  2. Alex13

Alex13 New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    It gives you pre-built decks, holds your hand if you aren't familiar with the rules
    Interesting only for a new comers.

I wasn't impressed by this game at PC and don't think at iPad will be better. Ai was a really stupid. Interesting to play only against player, but cards was so limited...

3. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Expect a $19.99 price tag.

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Well I'm down with it, whatever form it is.aybe not that price tag though lol. I didn't think the pc/Xbox version was as bad as made out. I got some good enjoyment out of it. I know there's no deck building or it's very minor tweaks but it's a start. At least this game is coming to ios. It's basically only the biggest TCG out so at least it's finally coming across in some form.

Some things I'd wish for:
    Please bring it to iPhone as well
    Yep, deck building please, and an auction house. Unleash the real potential.

5. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    AI is not that stupid and I enjoy DOTP 2012 quite a bit. I've been playing M:tG at various times for almost 20 years. It's an excellent way to get a Magic fix when no one else is around.

Ummm, the PC version is $9.99 so what makes you thing it will be $19.99?

At the moment you can get the Gold bundle on Steam with the base game, the expansion and 3 deck packs for $19.99.

6. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I've been meaning to get into Magic for years, I tried the original Duels of the Planeswalkers for 360 and liked it but I found that playing it on a console seemed restrictive and didn't buy it. I can't wait for this to be released, I think the iPad is going to a perfect form factor for it.

In relation to it being designed primarily for noobs, didn't DOP 2012 introduce the ability to customise your deck or something?

And while we're here, my totally inconceivable wish, release an iPhone companion app that allows 2 people to play with the iPad as the game board, finally put that functionality to good use.

7. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Magic would be a great port over to an idevice being as it's a card game!

8. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I really hope it is going to be Async, instead of just live play.

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Just like Assassin's Creed, I won't play it otherwise.

10. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Still can't decide whether I should stick with boosters for now or just buy singles.

11. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Do you mean physical MTG? Its cheaper to buy singles almost all the time.

On the note related to the game, I got into Magic by playing DOTP 2012 on 360, and I still fire it up if I miss Friday Night Magic. This will be so convienent to play and I'm going to love it!

12. pandavillain

pandavillain New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm having a pretty hard time trying to imagine this as Async. Consider all the instants and counters that could happen in a single turn.

13. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The last two games were released in June so I hope it's the same for this one

14. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    If multiplayer is a go, I'm so in. I love MtG when the playing field is relatively even (i.e. not about who drops more money on dem Baneslayers). Drafting was my favorite part of the game when I bought physical cards. :3

15. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have checked my Magic cards in the darkest, deepest recess of my wardrobe (all mint).

I have:

• x1 5th ed. 60 card box set
      x5 5th ed. booster packs
      x1 Mirage 60 card box set
      x5 Mirage booster packs
      x2 Visions booster packs
      x2 Weatherlight booster packs
      x1 Tempest 'Deep Freeze' Preconstructed box set (my mother bought me 14 odd years ago)
      x1 Tempest booster pack (snap!)

I discovered that I possess a couple of cards that combined means I would just about break even on money spent on cards:
    x1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    x1 City of Brass

I have a couple of other cards that sell for £1.95, and quite a few for the £0.30 mark, but nothing compared to the 2 above. With the proceeds for selling the above physical cards, I could easily use some of the proceeds to construct a couple of pauper decks - if I did choose to play online.

I do not think I actually ever played a game properly with any of my cards. So I would definitely be interested in MtG on the iPad. That said, I've checked out MtG Online and it definitely appeals - especially the idea of 'Pauper' tournaments / causal play using common card rule-set. Up and running by spending a couple of £s or more (or currency of your choice) for casual play.

I'll see if a friend would be interested - strictly casual play / pauper tournaments. Although with a friend, we could introduce our own rule-sets i.e. I prefer to play with cards no later than Mirage block.

16. Fabio.Poli

Fabio.Poli Active Member

Apr 24, 2012
    C.E.O @ Just Funny Games s.r.l
    Imola, Italy
    I'm a old Magic fan, and I also played DotPon my pc... i'm quite curious to see it on iPad :rolleyes:

17. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
  18. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Super excited for this.

Played for years, starting just before 4th Edition, but eventually gave up because all of my gaming buddies went out of town for university, and my money was then all going to school.
    Picked up Planeswalker 2012 on Steam last year, and thoroughly enjoyed the nostalgia, new mechanics, and not having to spend a ton of money on cards!

19. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
  20. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    All i can say is, my body is ready for a trip down memory lane!