iPad Real Racing 2 - (by Firemint)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mrguidogenio

Mrguidogenio Active Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I'm in college
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, I used to have it, but I deleted it 'cos it was never updated to Retina display nor Multitasking. The graphics are amazing though.

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Oh, I was actually disagreeing with him. Easy is just way too easy, while medium is just easy. And then there's hard, which is just f---ing impossible.

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    No mention of Shift?

4. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Same. But comparing them in their respective genre, among those more popular games you mentioned I'd say it'd look something like this:

1. Real Racing 2
    2. GT Racing: Motor Academy
    NR. Need for Speed: Shift

1. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
    2. Asphalt 6
    3. Need for Speed Underground
    4. Asphalt 5
    5. Older titles

5. Mrguidogenio

Mrguidogenio Active Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I'm in college
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sorry, I quoted the wrong person :(

6. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I must say I don't think Medium without any assists is very easy. Its giving me a rather difficult time.

I am having a really hard time with the Nissan GT-R Shootout.

7. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #1007 Grubjelly, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Although I won't know until later whether the 1.01 update has fixed the audio bug, it did seem to fix the in-game leaderboard display so that the entries are no longer disordered, and so that the correct vehicle type is indicated beside each. Just a little more play later when I get home to make sure nothing else was broken, and then I'll leave the 5-star iTunes reviewlet.

edit:

The Pacemaker achievement finally unlocked after I went through the time trials in sequence, beginning with McKinley Circuit and ending on Balladonia. No audio glitches or freezing occurred, even after playing for more than an hour straight. I'm not sure whether it was required, but for reference I did each track several times in a row until beating my previous time, even if only by a fraction of a second.

Medium with no assists definitely starts to rear its head by the final championships, when you're still trying to get 1st place on a 4- or 5-lap race against the most aggressive NPC's such as T.Magnusson (the first reason I lowered the difficulty to medium after failing the Mustang GT (Montclair) head-to-head face-off)).

8. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#1008 sticktron, Dec 22, 2010
    I wanted to fact check the claim about the missing Volvo textures being for cracked copies only.

Sure enough the main release (by most_unique) is missing all but one exterior texture for that Volvo.

It seems suspicious. I wonder if it was intentional by most_unique, modified and distributed early by someone at Firemint, or purely fluke.

It smells of a too-obvious attempt at tracking "pirates".

9. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
  10. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

He did...

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Was updated a while back to support multitasking. I dont know about retina support.

12. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #1012 Bad Hanson, Dec 22, 2010
    If I had invested 2 million on an ios project I would be doing everything to track and minimise die to the potentially catastrophic finacial fallout caused by piracy. Knowing the value of hard work and dedication and being a firm believer in Karma, I pay for all my games and always will. Touch arcader against piracy for life here!

13. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Funny, you'd think if it was an intentional attempt, they'd do more than screw with the textures of a VOLVO (of all cars... a Volvo...), in an otherwise complete game.

14. iJayCee

iJayCee Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 3, 2010
    Am I the only one thus far that finds this game... Difficult? I had no troubles with Real Racing 1, but this game... I keep sliding out, I can't brake long enough before a turn, it seems like I have to break halfway down the track before I can even attempt a turn, while the other cars just zip right through. Maybe I just need to get used to the controls some more... But once I got to the mid level cars, it just got incredibly more difficult. Even when I turn slightly too much I drift and that cuts your speed more than in half. Little angry at this game at the moment.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    In the faster cars they really did remove a lot of the grip real racing 1 cars had, it's annoying me too but I am slowly becoming use to it, and yes I have to brake so often and for like half a straight just to slow down enough for a medium corner... this is not the real racing 1 I fell in love with.

16. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Here is my suggestion...take a few swigs of tequila and then take to the RR2 track. That will help minimize the anger.

17. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You don't always have to brake on the corners, with the less sharp corners you can just lay off the gas for a while. And if you're struggling with staying on the track, it would help if you practice the track, taking time to learn all the corners, before actually racing.

Nice suggestion, Big Albie Alcoholic :p

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    +1 Understanding the track and practice make a big difference.

As for being an alcoholic, I used to drink my fair share when I was younger, but now I'm more of a moderate even lightweight some might say partaker of libations. As long as you don't drink and drive in real life, you're a-ok with me ;)

19. Firemonkeys Sam

Firemonkeys Sam Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Community Manager
    Melbourne, Australia
    #1019 Firemonkeys Sam, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
    +1 to this from everyone at Firemint.

Please take care on the real roads, especially at this time of the year!

20. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#1020 sticktron, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Read my racing 101 a few pages back.

Or this summary: point-and-shoot.

That's "driving a car fast without crashing" in a nutshell.
    Point the car (aim it) and hit the gas. When you cease pointing in the intended direction--called understeer/oversteer--slow down until you have enough grip to get pointed correctly again. Then hit the gas. Point and shoot.

Tip: more expensive cars are easier to aim.

Tip: most of the turns I've encountered in the game thusfar have not required braking. Not with the early cars anyway. Let go of the gas and lose some momentum as you approach the turn. Try to imagine what the limit is before you are turning too hard to make it (since there is no physical feedback for this)

Tip: racing in 2nd place is much easier than 1st. Get in a good position early (be aggressive) and then play follow-the-leader (passive). Avoid his mistakes, and pounce on the last lap.

Happy Racing!
    (manual manual manual manual)