Question about making games for iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ip4weather, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi all,is it possible to make games for iphone if you are not programmer?Any free and easy tool for beginner?:confused:

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just search for Python on the App Store. There are several free to download with ads versions available.

Oh, you wanted easy? Just look under the developer sub forum and commission them to build your game.

Seriously, I believe most pros use a Mac with Objective C together with a paid subscription to Apple's developer programme, that is, if your end goal is release for sale through the Apple App Store.

Good luck, and make a Counterstrike clone for my Apple TV with joypad control...

3. cryformercy

cryformercy Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    ad
    You need a partner or even a team if you are not programmmer. Seriously I am not a programmer, but I'm now in a team developing our first game because I'm able to help with the project in game concept.
    Good luck to you! :)

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Try Codea

People have used it to release and sell games to the App Store.

5. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    thank you all,one question,if i use xcode do i need any other tool or after xcode i can submit application to apple?:confused:

6. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    You submit with Xcode but but as others have said - if you aren't a programmer you'll want to spend a few years learning or find a team where you can contribute in some way other than programming.

7. gimy

gimy Member

Nov 24, 2013
    You can have a look at Unity 3D.
    http://unity3d.com/

It has an editor and you can do a lot of stuff without programming. It also has a store where you can buy some extensions for the editor that will help you even more, if you are not a programmer.
    It has a good documentation and great community to ask questions about it.
    And the scripting is not so hard to learn, if you decide to.

8. gimy

gimy Member

Nov 24, 2013
    And, I forgot, about Unity 3D, it also has a free version

9. TimL

TimL Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Good call on Unity3D. It is a good place to start though you'll struggle if you're not prepared to try learning programming. I'm entirely self taught. It takes a very long time to get good but if you've got the right mind set you'll find it very rewarding and you'll start to see results pretty quickly. I've just released my first app (Harry Likes Plums) and it's had some fantastic reviews. However, it's been a very long journey to where I am and I've still got a very long way to go before I have the resources needed to market it properly and make a decent go of being a self sufficient indie developer.

10. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    i work in Unity 4 one years ago but problem is if i make game i can't send to apple if i didn't pay 1000-2000$ for unity FULL version,right?

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if MAC OSX games can be ported to iOS ?

12. TimL

TimL Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Turns out you are right... I thought you could publish for free if you used their splash screen but it looks like I'm wrong. I've actually written Harry Likes Plums in Starling (action script) which is entirely free if you want it to be. Now that the 2D tools have come out, I was about to move across to Unity for my next game. I might rethink if it's going to cost thousands of dollars.

13. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    yeah,i send them email about price,Unity is good if you don't know to programming...