Universal The Blockheads - (by Majic Jungle Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Linx550

Linx550 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    He has to make money some how.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #222 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    It's necessary if you want some of the best tools and get more blockheads in your world. I have an extra blockhead (100 crystals) and another blockhead costs 200 crystals.

I agree that he has to make a living (hey, I bought the half-time IAP), but I find unfair that after buying the half-time IAP, some of the things will take a lot of time to get if you grind for crystals. Sure, 2.69€ is much less than a full 3DS game which costs 30€, but I never said I wouldn't pay 30€ for a one-time IAP which removes the crystals... It's just that I don't like the consumable-IAP philosophy.

Anyway, now that I know how it works, it's not that bad, it'll just take more time to find crystals. I have spent 120 crystals (20 on updating the portal and 100 on a second blockhead) and I have 15 crystals now. It's just planning & mining.

3. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I haven't found myself in need of another blockhead in the same world but I could see it being fun.

I am still working on circling the world with camps at all points of interest or rest stops.

4. demon8126

demon8126 New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Friend me for multiplayer
    Game Center: demon8126

5. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #225 Riotgirl, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    It's the decision to impose an artificial time limit, driving the 'optional' IAP which grates. As mr ed209 observed, at first you put up with it, but once the honeymoon period wears off (12 hours for me!) it becomes more and more irritable - so much so that I have yet to play again after the honeymoon period. Note: now deleted.

No point beating this dead donkey any further because the necessary information to allow people to make an informed decision is contained within this thread. I'll still keep an eye on the game's progress in terms of updates and whether majicdave changes the payment method (doubtful).

6. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's very useful. At the moment I have one blockhead mining and the other preparing tools for the mining :D the problem when you have more than one blockhead is that when sleeping, time only accelerates if all the blockheads are sleeping at the same time. Therefore, I think that with one blockhead in the main camp and the other one exploring around is enough. It's a lot of management, though.

As for the oil thingie to make the lamps which I mentioned several posts earlier, my world didn't have oil too near. I built a boat and crossed the ocean before finding a single block of oil!

Btw, there must be something regarding the multiplier of the amount of crystals you find when mining. In my first game, I get 3 crystals, but if I make another game just to grind for crystals, when I find them near the surface and grab them with my bare hands, I only get 1 crystal per block. Hey MajicDave, if you read this, can you tell us how the crystal multiplier works?

7. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    You can press sunflower / flax seeds in the press to get oil.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yeah, thanks. I think somebody (you?) said it already in the thread, but I didn't reply. At the moment I'm making ladders as crazy to try and reach the Moon. Something a la Felix Baumgartner :p

9. Andyz

Andyz Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I was quite enjoying the game until it started crashing constantly. I can't play any more as I enter the game and a few seconds later it crashes out when updating the world or something. Hopefully a patch coming (iPhone 4s).

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe you should give the developer more info: iOS version, JB or non-JB, language settings (this sometimes affects, believe me), etc.

11. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I wish you could craft items like in desktop version of minecraft or junk jack, that was part of the fun.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I have tried and tried and tried to get into this one, but the consistent crashing has just made it impossible for me to really get into.

I hope they release an update with some stabilization/crash fixes soon... Because it looks like it could be a real time sucker... But for me, not until then, if it happens.

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #233 Greyskull, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    That would show up on the "grossing" list. Well, not the # of people; I've read articles stating that the vast majority of iaps are purchased by a very small % of players (for any free-to-play game).

Having said that, I guess I count toward the chart you mentioned, since I did install it.

Roght now I'm fooling around with an ipad only MMOCRaftingRPG that's free on the iPad, Deepworld. Well I will after I get around to figuring it out. I missed the whole Minecraft "thing" completely so most of these games boggle me. And some can be brutally complex...probably the deepest is an ascii grand-RPG crafting open source pc game called Dwarf Fortress (IIRC). I still haven't figured that one out despite having it installed for years :shrug:.

I was about to buy JJ until I heard of the sequel.

EDIT: I don't know whether or not Deepworld is cross-platform, but it requires registration and connects to a server beyond the purview of Apple...it does connect to GC though. Opening up all of those network ports is a real battery drainer though. I'll sit down with it when I can leave it plugged in.

14. Linx550

Linx550 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I've been waiting on deep world for my iPhone for ever. I'm beta testing it soon :D

15. iphonedevpinoy

Nov 3, 2010
  16. milnic

milnic Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Junk jack is still better fun i guess :)

17. NekroWolfen

NekroWolfen Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    The amount of stuff you can do in this game is unbelievable, and this is the first version of the game, 0 updates. The physics are good too, I just divided the ocean to make an underwater house. I'll post pictures later.

18. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Junk Jack is still a much better game in my opinion. That's not to say there isn't fun to be had with this one though, it's just that the whole freemium model kinda ruins most of it unfortunately. Even after purchasing the half-time IAP the wait time for crafting the higher tier items is just ridiculous.

19. Yashica

Yashica New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Hey I'm stuck in this game where do we find tin ignots and bronze ignots ?? Ive looked in the ground but their all flint :( plz help and my user is yaz_white

20. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    You craft them. A furnace may help you.