Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    railgun kills them way too quick also, faster then rockets! I think once we all get pretty lag free games online the mech will shine more then it does now.

2. ghostspectre43

ghostspectre43 Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    my location
    i decided to get it despite all the bad things i've heard about it, so far haven't experienced any huge problems. I am playing on a ipod 4 the only problems i have experienced so far were the occasional framerate drop and being clipped against a wall, which i eventually got out of by moving to the right of the wall. multiplayer, however, is different. the maps feel too large for the maximum amount of players, and the fog is fairly irritating, as well as lag every now and then. other than that though, the game is pretty good.

3. BirkusTheGreat

BirkusTheGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    The campaign runs decently for the most part, and looks good on my ipod touch, despite missing some effects. However the multiplayer lags horribly when there are more than 6 people in a game, the fog is extremely irritating, the warthog type thing is a pain to drive and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TURN OFF AIM ASSIST WHEN SETTING UP AN INSTAGIB GAME. Seriously, aim assist is a pain in the ass in multiplayer, but makes instagib extremely irritating.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game, but it needs a multiplayer fix

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #504 Ayjona, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    Game Impressions

Much as I suspected, the reports of graphics lag in multiplayer matches on iPhone 4 were greatly exaggerated, to the point of being only distantly associated with reality ;) There is plenty of network lag at times, and on some VERY rare occasions slight drops in framerates, but never to the point of adversely affecting gameplay.

The fog issue, however, is, well, an issue. Opponents seem to come out of nowhere, and I suspect iPhone 4S users do have a slight edge, thanks to increased sight range.

But more importantly, the online implementation is just stellar! From killchain effects and perks and levels and tons of achievements and kill quotes and text banners that congratulate top players and statistics and career progression and weapon add-ons, to integrated automatic tournaments with rewards (something I've been hollering for in damn near every online game experience I've enjoyed for iOS)! If there is a more polished, fleshed-out, feature-packed multiplayer experience for iOS, I have yet to even suspect it exists. Even Modern Combat 3 is left behind in terms of power features (much thanks to N.O.V.A.'s integrated tournaments).

All the rest is pretty much what you'd expect. Amazing graphics for player, NPC, weapon and enemy models, bland environs, great lightning and particle effects, a story and narrative that neither touches nor engages, voice acting that covers the whole range from entertaining to annoying, well-acted and dramatic to directly painful to listen to, Gameloft's ingrained UI that might be good just because I am so used to it or because it really represents one of the best ways to to a FPS on iOS, and most importantly, gameplay, physics and controls that just feel SO right and good.

Gameloft wears the generic badge like a medal of excellence, working with polish and refinement instead of innovativity and quality of ideas. In N.O.V.A., this mindset has produced an entirely standardized and fully reiterative but amazingly polished and entertaining experience.

5. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I'll wait for the iPad 3 fix

6. GamerGuy...lol

GamerGuy...lol Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Still confused about the "fog." Can someone please explain it to me I have not bought it yet.

7. Joemama25

Joemama25 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    graphics are awwesome, multiplayer maps are EPIC. but aim assist on stinger(rocket launcher) and sniper rifle when aiming down scope just makes the killing too easy with those guns

8. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Just like in minecraft how when you turn down the render distance distant objects cannot be seen due to a hazy fog, distant objects are blocked by a similar fog in this due to low draw distance.

9. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    For a $7 iphone game people sure are picky... It's amazing for what it is

10. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Guys this game runs so smooth on iPad 3. I nly have one other game installed and I have 8gb of storage out of 16. Maybe multiple apps is whats causing issue. Game is playing really good. Including mp

11. itouchfiendsdotcom

itouchfiendsdotcom New Member

Feb 28, 2011
  12. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Agreed. Also, if they had the default running at half resolution on the ipad 3, but with all the effects, i'm sure some people would still complain about it....

13. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    IOS gamers are picky about 99c titles as well and we wonder and rage why most devs are going freemium.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You guys tried the jet pack in multi yet? Wow. GL is really gonna need to tone it down. I can leap ANYWHERE on the map. In lost world, I just went on top of the buildings and sniped and used the rocket launcher...it felt kinda nooby. The thing's darn expensive but really lets you get around...and I was racking up 9+ kill chains easily. I felt like a total noob taking advantage of an obvious glitch/misbalance. But anyway just so you guys know the jet pack is well worth the cash. Just be careful. I really pissed this one poor guy off a lot...

Btw if you throw close enough, one grenade will take out a mech. :/

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    For me it makes it harder. Any way to turn it off?

16. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

This game the best in the AppStore! Plays smooth on my iPhone 4

17. Zerozx

Zerozx Member

Jan 5, 2012
    So this is the best of the best in the app store. There are some bugs but they don't break the gp. One thing I do need, is a challenge. I feel everyone on touch arcade with NOVA 3 should be in a private tourney. Let's Rock people! My Gameloft tag is Cdog3.

18. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    When in a multiplayer match, pause the game go to advanced settings and turn aim assist off. I pretty much always turn it off because half of the time it's not assisting me it's actually moving in the wrong direction...

19. pueblo

pueblo Member

May 11, 2012
    This game is wayyyyyyy better than mc3. All this needs are bug fixes better graphics for newer devices smoother multiplayer and NO FOG -______-- omg I hate the friggin fog -.-

20. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Finished the game and man.

Gameloft SUCKS ASS when it comes to endings. This one is about as horrid as the last. Simply pitiful.
    Without having gone into multi-player yet, I'd give the game a solid 3/5 stars. it's beautiful, has tons of action, and is mostly fun. However, it also has numerous glitches, how the story is told is terrible, and the on-rails sections continue to be ho-hum.

That being said, I might go back through this just to take in the graphics again once Gameloft have thrown in all the effects that were promised.:)