Universal WazHack (by Warwick Allison)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, May 7, 2013.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Better stealth systems too :D

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Damn, this game is intimidating, haha.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That update with 8 new characters is epic; I just pick them all up. It's great to see WazHack updated; there goes my afternoon...

4. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    #344 pheriannath, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    I'm finding the Bard class extremely intriguing; the playstyle strangely appeals to me. I only wish there was a way for the bard to gain XP from his minions' kills, like the Druid can. I should also be able to bash monsters over the head with my lute, like proper rockers...I mean, musicians.

Also, would love to see a legendary item called the Pick of Destiny, perhaps with the ability to power up mesmerized creatures while wielded with string instruments (or randomly blow their minds).

(I wonder if Waz will actually see this)

5. Myndflame

Myndflame Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I see what you did there. :p

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Haha the pick of destiny would be cool,

7. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Whoo Hoo!
    Great update.

The best Roguelike in the AppStore updated with new characters and a new and better tutorial.

Fantastic.

I've bought all the new characters, and if there's more to come, I'll buy everyone of those too.

This is one game that'll never leave my iDevices!

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #348 bigred447uk, Apr 8, 2014
    +1. This had almost endless re playability even before the update. It's the kind of game that you never delete. It's just so good.

Edit : I bought all the available characters a while ago. The extra eight new characters appear to be free for me. I was expecting to have to pay.

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I bought all the original characters when the game was released, but the new ones aren't free for me.
    I'm not complaining, just perplexed.
    I have no problem paying a dollar a piece.

10. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    #350 RichRuzz, Apr 8, 2014
    I'm so excited! :D Got this on my PC and iPad

Anyone for multi? My guildhall name is Richard

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #351 LordGek, Apr 8, 2014
    I think the confusion is over how you can freely choose the new classes right off but, I believe, unless paid for, there will be some sort of maximum depth cap, right?

While the side scrolly nature annoys me a bit, I love the ragdoll physics and commend the dev for taking the old Nethack pradigm as a clear source but adding many of his own nuances (while both games have, for example, knight and barbarian classes, for example, you'll soon see they treat them uniquely).

12. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    I hope you're all enjoying the new version! I had great fun adding not just the new classes but all the extra content behind them.

Don't feel you have to buy all the characters - the idea is that you get a thorough try of them. I think it's fairer than an all-inclusive price, especially as there are now thousands of players on Steam who want to get their WazHack fix on the train and out-and-about with just one or two class pairs.

There is at least one iOS device that someone has had startup crashes on too, so if you have any problems, be sure to let me know what device and iOS version, so hopefully I can take a look (I only have 2 devices, but I can usually borrow from friends if there is a problem). Sorry iPad 1 users: I couldn't fit it this version - fortunately you can load previous versions pretty easily in the App Store.

13. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. :)

It's a great way to show off the different classes.

As I wrote earlier, I've bought all the classes, and if the dev adds new ones, I'll buy them too, just to support the developer.
    I love this game!

14. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This game is thoroughly awesome.

The RPG Reload on the front page reminded me about it so I thought I'd bump the thread in case any rogue-like fan is unaware of the game.

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I still play WazHack often enough; definitely a gem... hopefully we see another update or, better yet, a sequel.

16. Shyft

Shyft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I know there's a new version you can beta test on steam

17. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Yes, version 1.3 is currently in beta. I run the beta on PC first because it's trivial to upload new versions instantly. I'll be doing iOS and Android next. iOS will probably take slightly longer because I haven't used Apple's new beta test system (last time it was a small closed TestFlight beta - thanks to everyone here who helped that time!).

The new version has all sorts of cool stuff. A major addition is "Belief Systems" - for example, the not-particularly-bright Knight believes in a god he calls "the Big Guy", and his understanding of his religion is that provided he prays before eating stuff, he will be able to ask favours of the Big Guy later. The Sorcerer in contrast believes in "the Darkness", which has entirely different mechanics for currying favour.

Version 1.3 will also be the first time the mobile version will get animated cloth physics (for hair and clothes). From my testing so far performance is completely reasonable on mobile (at least on reasonably recent devices).

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hey Waz...gotta ask: Do you have any plans to add a bundled character set IAP to the game (or anything of the sort), or is it safe to just go ahead and finally buy the rest of the characters separately? :)

19. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Looked interesting, then saw the words "rogue-like" and "permanent death".
    /facepalm
    Instant dealbreaker right there. At least make non-permadeath an option for people who hate this mechanic. Not everyone likes repeating the exact same thing they did in the last X hours.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    /Facepalm
    This is a an either stupid or troll remark!

There's thousands and thousands of games on the AppStore.

This game is built to be a Rogue-like with permanent death from the ground up, with the very clear goal of giving fans of this particular genre the best experience the dev can give.
    He succeeded tremendously, as this is on my top-three list on the App Store in this genre.

Why don't you just play some of the thousands of games on the AppStore that's NOT rogue-like games, instead of spending time complaining about the very fundamentals of a game that's clearly not for you?