Word Mage - monster fighting RPG word game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dominostars, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dominostars

dominostars Active Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Independent Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 dominostars, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Word Mage is a monster fighting RPG, where you kill enemies by playing a word game. It breaths life into the word jumble category by introducing the following improvements:

Variety
    Over 55 enemy types, who cast more than 20 different status effects that change the way you play. Did your hero get "Confused"? Now you must spell words backwards.

Time pressure
    You're on a short ticking clock, but get time bonuses every time you find a word. Find 5+ letter words for huge time bonuses and damage combo opportunities.

Aspiration
    18 different abilities that dramatically improve your character. You can even build up to 4 powerful spells that can be activated in battle, such as "Mind Vision", which reveals usable words on the board.

This first version includes 29 stages, with 7 bosses and 25 achievements. It is a universal app for iOS, designed and programmed by a one man team of me. Don't just fight for a high score. Conquer a world, gain powers, and spell your heart out!

(Submitted to the app store, coming soon!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Looks similar to spell quest. Which is awesome btw. I will definitely purchase. Great job!

3. dominostars

Feb 12, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    #3 dominostars, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Haha, yeah, there seems to be a whole new wave of word game battlers coming out. It will be fun to see how different devs try to innovate with the genre.

Word Mage is a much more fast-paced game than Spell Quest, with little pausing. It also gives more extensive ways to improve your character outside of battle:

- Leveling up allows you to increase power to specific letters
    - A large ability tree to create activated abilities, as well as powerful passive ones (i.e. deal more damage with certain word lengths, improve drop rates, etc.)

If you're interested in Spell Quest I think you'll really enjoy Word Mage. I hope you check it out!

4. jgainsbrugh

Aug 8, 2013
    Sure. I will definitely get this. I have all the spelling word battling games. I really love the abilities skill tree you got going and the map is like a real rpg map which is totally cool. I hope no IAPs? Around when is the release date? Again, excellent job!

5. dominostars

Feb 12, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    The sad thing is, I really want to experiment with IAP to try and find creative ways to include IAP that is non-intrusive. However, I'm afraid of implementing anything because the hate for IAP is so strong. I do have one small IAP for item slots increases, but it's completely unnecessary and can be earned without paying. None of my beta testers had the ability to pay for it and it was never a problem.

6. jgainsbrugh

Aug 8, 2013
    I don't think any players mind non essential IAPs. But the freemium crap and game breaking pay walls are just too much. It's not even so much the money as it is the feeling of being tricked and lied to. For instance, the new advanced wars clone tank game - the game creator made it so you get a special jeep for the game but only if you go on Facebook and like him or write a positive review or something. After much backlash from gamers he ended the requirement and just added the jeep freely to the game. So... There's a fine line, y know?

7. dominostars

Feb 12, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I completely agree with you, and I don't blame people for feeling skeptical. Lots of developers see games like Candy Crush, get $$$ in their eyes, and start trying to abuse their users without much thought into it. It's just a shame, because I feel like so much innovation can happen with IAPs, but just their presence can (justifiably) illicit outrage.

8. dominostars

Feb 12, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
  9. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    I just finally finished the skill tree. Currently level 16. Have every star except that damned Epic star for the level with Confusion :). I'll get it eventually though. I'm a little disappointed that I never unlocked the second or third spell slot, but I'm sure that's coming in an update.

Seriously a great game. Fun like Spell Tower, Quarrel, and the like, but the real-time element really amps up the intensity. The RPG implementation is spot-on and the way that status effects are used is particularly clever. I'm impressed with how many statuses you came up with and how well they keep the game fresh and exciting.

I was incredibly proud about getting the "Juvenile" achievement before looking at the achievement list.

10. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I can't seem to purchase the extra backpack space. It prompts for fingerprint, but then says "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

(It must be connecting if it recognised an iTunes pass code is required?)

Anyone else managed to buy this?