how could this game go into top paid game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rockytong, Jul 7, 2010.

1. rockytong

rockytong Member

May 22, 2010
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/connect-em/id378761270?mt=8

look the screen,it's just so so
    look the rates, oh my god, almost all 5 star!
    and I check some users who reviewed this game, it's the only game they ever reviewed

could it be fake or something?

this is the secend time this game go up to the top list

2. Shintizi

Shintizi Member

Jul 8, 2010
    that's why the iPhone market is the most difficult market to enter. There are too many kind of people who owns a iPhone. And you know what, more than half of the people who have an iPhone aren't hardcore gamers. Keep that in mind ;)

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know the public like to buy total crap, but I'm calling shill on those ratings.

4. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    what about those sudden top rankings for some of jirbo's games? was that just an Apple screw-up?

5. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
  6. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I've created the art for this title over a weekend. As far as I know, the means used to drive sales for this game have been somewhat unorthodox but completely legitimate. If there is any "unfair" magic going on there, I have yet to catch wind of it.

I'll be honest: the first time I played it I was deeply unimpressed and quit. The fact that the game was designed and developed very quickly definitely shows... However, a few hours later, I decided that I didn't give it a fair shot, and tried again. Something clicked, and before I knew it, I had enjoyably spent a good hour and a half organizing little colored marbles. At a high enough level of difficulty, the game is challenging enough to make me think, but still simple enough that it doesn't make me feel pressured.

@ ElectricGrandpa: As far as I know, that's only due to the fact that the game was advertised primarily to a certain audience.

7. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    This shows that the iPhone just doesn't want high quality A & AA games. They want C & D games.

8. RevolvingDoor

Dec 13, 2009
    @ Mondae: Interesting point, but I think that's actually a good thing, in a way.

The iPhone is not a game console, and maybe it's all the better off for not pretending to be one. A lot of people who play iPhone games want to be entertained for 10, 15 minutes at a time, not pulled into an utterly epic, immersive experience. This is why the app store trends towards low-cost games.

9. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Ya, but a game can be a great expierence & still not cost alot. Look at Trenches or Ninjatown. Those games are inexpensive. This one is cheap.

10. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Different strokes for different folks.

Many people do not have a varied and deep experience of games. The iPhone is not a games machine. It is a phone that is introducing people to games as a consequence of it's many abilities. Therefore a large part of the market is for people who are not 'gamers'.

11. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Still though, I'm not saying all top paid will be hardcore games, but even casual games can have quality.

12. RevolvingDoor

Dec 13, 2009
    Well, I can honestly say that I still enjoy it. Out of curiosity, what makes you feel that the quality is poor? It's a very simple game, but it's not buggy and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. I would rather play something like this than another action RPG that looks great, but has awkward controls and crashes.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    To be honest the gameplay doesn't look unique enough to have attracted that much attention. Maybe it really is, but at first glance it looks like a fairly standard match/connect game.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am curious what the unorthodox but legal way to boost the ratings is - there are 3 written reviews that are entirely generic and boring... and there are 910 ratings with an average of 5 star ratings... so I am thinking that 900+ people were "gifted" the game and asked to please just give it a 5 star rating - I guess that is legal... I wonder if that is the way of the future, and so then using the ratings will be one more thing to fall... Not that I use them much, but I do like to see if there are actually worthwhile things being said, and that will influence me to purchase or not...

15. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    There, that's what I meant.

16. MilchMann

MilchMann Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
  17. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Talking about shady, nobody noticed the link uses the original posters linkshare account?

Now you're cookied and he makes a % off whatever you buy in iTunes in the future.

18. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    hmmm

I have no comment,
    but at least these are people giving comment

some people can be nasty and give you a star just because they dont read instructions

or some people give 5 stars but advertise(spam) their link on comments..

I feel sad not being able to reply to comments by our customers..

we should be able to do that dont you guys think?

19. Diplomat

Diplomat Member

Jul 6, 2010
    You have to have a load of good luck in people picking up on it. And try and get reviews in mags.