Good RPG's

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Infamous97, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Infamous97

Infamous97 Well-Known Member

What are some good RPG's? I have searched for many but they weren't that great.

2. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Wait for aralon sword and shadow

3. Infamous97

RPG's

I am lol and you can not forget infinity blade!

4. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Inotia 2 is a awesome rpg, fairly long, tons of side quests and not a ton of grinding.

5. Infamous97

Inotia 2

How much does it cost?

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Across age-best top down rpg
    Chaos rings-best turn based rpg

Honorable mentions
    -crimson gem saga
    -inotia:wanderer of luone
    -dungeon hunter
    -Zenonia 2
    -rimelands

7. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Ah, there's a tricky question. If you mean Japanese RPGs, I'm inclined to agree with you.... however that comes with the caveat that I don't believe any JRPGs are that good (or, for that matter, even RPGs). I had buyer's remorse after purchasing Final Fantasy when it was on sale.

If you mean "Western" RPGs (to use the standard redundant nomenclature) then there are a few good ones. The Quest Gold is probably the best native RPG, with an insane amount of varied quests that could keep you busy for many dozens of hours (100+ if you get the expansions). Graphics are not modern if that is a concern, being on par with Daggerfall. Quest Gold is about 8$, a lite version is available that you could get a few hours out of and see if it is your thing or not.

Undercroft is a very good, albeit linear, classic-style RPG. If you've ever played the Eye of the Beholder games, this is very similar. You'll get 20 hours out of it...and it's completely free of charge.

Xenome is a Fallout-style RPG. I don't recommend it unless you have a fourth generation device, as it is quite choppy. Controls are a bit difficult (which can be problematic as combat is real time). Its best point of recommendation is it is the only (Western) RPG I am aware of for iOS that is non-fantasy themed.

Dungeon Hunter is a hack and slash game with some RPG elements. No real depth, but fun to kill time with.

Not RPGs in the typical video gaming definition, but RPGs in the traditional pen and paper sense -- Fighting Fantasy (4 books), Sorcery (1 book) and Gamebook Adventures (4 books). Basic literacy is required, but any of these can give you a more genuine RPG experience than even The Quest.

Finally, if you were lucky enough to have purchased iDOS when it was available you can also play Bard's Tale 1-3, Ultima 1-5, Pool of Radiance and its many Gold Box successors, Wasteland, Starflight, Eye of the Beholder, etc. Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures in particular uses most of my iPod gaming time now.

8. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Inotia 2 is terrible. You sit there for hours re-rolling for a good character and then when you get party members they are completely randomized so you can totally get boned in that regard.

Ash is a good RPG with the best dialog BY FAR of any iOS RPG.

9. Infamous97

I had the quest but it got pretty boring, i like 3d rpg's

10. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Umm.. I don't know who in there right mind would sit and roll for hours just for good stats, I took my first roll. It wasn't a good roll and yet I haven't had any trouble with my character or with the party members I have (and all there stuff is pretty low to).

EDIT: @Infamous97 It's $3, and there is also a lite version.

11. Infamous97

Ash

Ash looks good and I am thinking about getting it.

12. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Ash is not 3D.

13. Infamous97

Key word thinking lol

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Whoa shit forgot to mention Ash. Anyways, it's entertaining to proceed through, if only for the story. The combat and gameplay is pretty meh so nvm, I guess it wasn't worth mentioning.

16. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Crimson Gem Saga is undoubtedly my favorite, followed by Chaos Rings. I'd also highly recommend Final Fantasy I, which aside from Crisis Core and maybe SoulCalibur is my most played PSP game, and TNA Wrestling, which was unfortunately pulled for contract reasons.

Hows Ash? I want to pick it up next time I get a gift card, since it's getting good feedback and I have a thing for turn based RPG's.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I don't like turn based too much meh.

18. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I hear the story and dialogue in Ash are great, and you don't hear that too often about RPG's. Especially app store ones.

Have you played Rimelands? If you're not exclusively into eastern-style RPG's, it's a great turnbased RPG. Idk if it's still on sale. Just check the forums for the bugs, so you know what to avoid while the devs fix.