Retina display compatible?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by loves2spoon, Jul 6, 2010.

1. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Just curious how many dev's are working on upgrading there games to utilize the retina display?!

Real Racing looks pretty amazing with the new update.

2. TheQuadsphere

TheQuadsphere Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
  3. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

We just updated 3 of our apps to support the retina display:
    18,000 COOL JOKES
    18,000 COOL JOKES FREE
    23,000 GREAT QUOTES

Bad thing though is that it turns out not so many people have updated to iOS4, and sales are decreasing due to this fact (and the fact that we compiled for iOS 4, to support fast-app switching)

Regards,
    ILIYA

4. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    The new update of Jet Car Stunts (in submission) will use the larger display.

5. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    We have our artist working on new graphics for one of our titles now, but we'll be following that up with others. New releases that are in dev now will support iPhone, iPad and iPhone 4 resolutions from release.

6. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    I jumped in early with iOS4 support adding iAd, Retina Display support and iPad compatibility. Apparently it looks amazing (iPhone 4 is not yet available in Australia).

However I've been bitterly disappointed by coverage. Given that I'm one of only a handful of games supporting the new display, I was shattered when none of the majors picked up the story.

Additionally, Apple didn't feature the game at all - not even in their "Built for iOS4" section. Very disappointing.

7. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    They only feature games they deem worthy of featuring, and those who they will think will become popular. Though whether your game is "worthy" or not, I can not judge for I have not played the game. Nor have I heard of it.

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #8 Stroffolino, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    After the slap in the face that Apple gave early iPad adaptors, I'm in no rush to add retina display support until I have the device in hand and understand how retina display support factors into AppStore ranking. The iPad AppStore is strange in that it gives non-featured apps even less visibility than the iPhone version of the AppStore. There's no obvious way to browse subcategories. The "new releases" is apparently filtered to new and noteworthy apps. The single top list continues to be arbitrarily truncated. Search result order is heavily biased to favor more expensive apps. And universal apps are punished - iPad buys from people owning multiple iDevice types count only towards iPad ranking, canibalizing your normal ranking.

9. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Link to the game is in my signature. I have fantastic critical and fan reviews from all who've played it (take a look at the App Store). It's been #1 in 5 countries, and top 10 in many more. I was featured in Australia and in Europe where I did really well. I can assure you my game is definitely worthy to be featured in the US. Then, maybe, people will hear of it!

10. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    But "worthy" is subjective - there is no "definitely" about it. Hope for being featured by Apple or a site rather than expecting it, and take nothing for granted, and you'll never end up bitter.

11. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Will the higher resolution assets work on the iPad too? JCS is probably my most played iPad game, even though it's merely an upscaled iPhone game! Still seems to work incredibly on the iPad.

12. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    We are not sure about this yet... There is a version that runs on the iPad but you can see how low poly the world is - on the iPhone 4 this is fine because the screen is smaller and looks the same as the normal version but looks more sharper and crisp. But we are considering it :) Or maybe we might save the iPad version for Jet Car Stunts 2.

13. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I wonder if the features you've put into the iphone 4 version will run under the iPad version when iOS 4 is released to the iPad. Even a small upgrade to the graphics would be useful - I only play jet car stunts on my ipad now; its a much better gaming device for most app store games, JCS especially.

Either way, I look forward to jet car stunts 2!