How do you manage your overload of games on ipad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Qordobo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    How do you manage your overload of games on ipad?

I'm bored on of using invisible pages because each time I install or update a new games the ios fill all alls from games taken in invisible pages.

But remove a game lost the saves for most of them, few have an online save or separate files.

Also the problem is to keep a clear point of view from all those removed, those forever, those to try or try again, those to play later, and so on.

2. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    With great difficulty - I can't wait for OS4 for iPad! I've managed to get them all to fit with 4 free spaces by filling the dock and home screen, and deleting all 'lite' apps, and now I've got an iPhone I've deleted all iPhone games from the iPad.
    I can't work out how to delete things totally from iTunes, and there doesn't seem to be any structure to the list of apps in iTunes eg I can't see how to put them in folders and subfolders to sort them into like you say those to try again etc. It would be great if this was possible.

3. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Folders are where it's at nowadays :cool:

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    If you're jailbroken, you can use Infiniboard :D

5. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    There's a glitch to get more pages jailbroken or not but i'm not sure if it works on the iPad

6. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks for replies, weird there's no answer.

How?

7. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I use :D

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    If you have the 16 Gb version it may not make much difference. I have all my pages filled, but I also have almost no memory left either. And no, I have no photos, no movies, no anything except for game apps, and whatever the browser takes up, but I am always deleting the cache so that does not take up much space...

When Folders comes out, I will use it mostly for arranging things a bit more logically, but it won't help to fit more apps on - there is no space to do that...

9. suddene

suddene Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Ya, so I got a 16 GB here and also filled it to the neck with just Apps.
    What I did to resolve this annoying problem I had with obsessively installing every friggen' App was the following:
    Purchase an Ipad Camera Connectivity kit so I can use the Usb kit. Wwith the official apple case already fitted onto my ipad, I connect the USB module to the ipad, ya, it sticks out a little, not too much, then Got me a micro portable USB hard drive it is a 320gb, forgot the exact model, but it’s about the size of a stack of 5 baseball cards. Anyway , so I slit the back side of the apple case very nicely and managed to have the hard drive slip and fit in there, nice and snug, and surprisingly, you can’t even tell it’s there, less the bottom connection which sticks out a good inch, though I used a tiny USB extension with a flat top making that Not bulge out.
    Anyway I am sure many know about the Con kit and if you are Jailbroken, you can shove a hard drive into that USB kit regardless of the Apple warning pop up saying “ the device is not supported”, but with the program called "iFile" available in Cydia, you can manage, browse the hard drive , and all that, easily. So, in a sense my ipad now is like 400GB.
    Now the thing that is important here, is when I first read about this and all that, I was convinced (before tr ying it) that it would be a big hassle to have to transfer back and forth through iFile, waist time etc... But when i tested out copying an album or two, let’s say approximately 400mb data total, transferred that data to the ipad internal storage and back,Ii was shocked how fast it went, it literally transferred those 400 megs in about 5-10 seconds.. , then tested a bunch of photos like 1000. tested the same to see the speed, and those 1000 took about 15 seconds tops
    my point is, I can copy like 20 full apps/games back and forth through iFile in matter of say 5 minutes tops, about triple times the speed than even doing it on a pc or with iTunes. Can even launch the apps off the hard drive with ifile and not even have to copy them to the correct directory.
    Well, that’s my opinion, maybe I am not the only one doing this but It’s pretty nifty IMO.
    Also, when I close the apple case on my ipad and lay it flat, you cannot even tell it’s got that whole connection thing so it remains mobile as I need it to be, yet with this much larger space available now;)

10. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Select it then press the delete key on your keyboard

11. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    I have a 64GB model and think I am up to 7 invisible pages (maybe more, but I didn't take the time to double-check). The best I have been able to do is keep an accurate list of apps that are on those pages so I can search for them.

I use Evernote to do this. That way, as I add a new game I simply open Evernote on my Mac and add to the list. (Evernote is available for Mac, Windows, and iPad/iPhone, so it is easy to update on the Mac and just have it show up on the iPad for when I'm away from the computer. There is no charge for basic use and syncing notes between devices.) I make sure to keep the list alphabetized so I can search through it quickly.

I have also had a similar app tracking problem between my iPhone and iPad. It isn't due to lack of pages, but rather due to Apple's short-sighted design of iTunes. That is, until the most recent release, there was no way to tell which apps were designed for which device on the iPad app section of iTunes. I was using a spreadsheet to track this, since switching back to the main app page in iTunes forced me to sync or lose changes. They just added the ability to sort by kind on that screen and I think this problem finally took care of that gripe.

Folders should finally complete the ability to organize things, other than the braindead way they have of repositioning icons on the screens. I really don't like the way icons squirm out of the way whether I want them to or not. It makes it very difficult to organize things across pages, especially. That might be acceptable on the device itself, but in iTunes it is just annoying after you have more than a page or two of apps.

I want a full-screen layout that takes advantage of my 17" Macbook Pro screen to allow me to see as many pages as I can fit on the screen at a time. It should allow me to toggle insert (icons automatically move) and should never fill in blank spaces unless I ask it to. I want the ability to have blank spaces to visually separate apps on the screen. Of course, once we have folders I will also want sub-folders. But Apple's UI ideas have long been focused on making things look flashy and easy to use for beginners but sacrificing power for more advanced users. I keep hoping Apple will move back to keeping things simple but allow more features for advanced users.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm still pretty pissed as WE iPaders were told of all the great stuff OS 4 will allow on the iPad just a couple of months after the iPad launched and ONLY THEN got the rug pulled and told, "Oh no, silly one, OS 4 is for the iPhones and especially the new shiny iPhone 4, why don't you go back outside and wait in your doghouse for your iPad OS 4...whenever that is (evil laugh)".

13. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    Damn you're demanding. The iPad only costs up to $600 more than an iPhone. What do you want for that little bit of money? :rolleyes:

14. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I am doing a similar thing but with a calc with open office, I don't use (yet) my iPad as a mobile device but inside home so have the information on it isn't important.

But it's very tedious because if I do this for all games I buy since the first weeks, I didn't with free and demo games. That's when I was trying to record past free games that I got bored and post this thread. :)

For sure a dev could do something more automatic. Also if calc has positive points, it's not perfect, my feeling is I need a hierarchic organization ability. Some Think Organizer could do the trick but well I haven't found any enough good to stick to and start exploit really.

15. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    There are apps for millon things. Why cant anyone program an app, that lists all the installed apps? Or is it already there and i cant find it?

16. QuantumDuck

QuantumDuck Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Spreading the word about FREE apps!
    If you fill up every screen with folders completely full of apps you either have a TON of money or you watch my post constantly :D

17. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    That's a pretty cool mod.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sounds kind of cool but realize every time you remove it from the device you'll lose your local highscores and progress made so far in a game with a bunch of unlockables.

19. Frej444

Frej444 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Highschool
    Copenhagen, Denmark.
    You delete all your crap and use the stuff you need.

20. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Cool thank you very much, that's the most brilliant advice I got in this thread. Also I'm amazingly stunned by the genius you are to have guess that I have all crap.