Games that made you unexpectedly fall in love with a new genre?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 12, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I've never really enjoyed flight games. I've tried demos for some games on PSN before, but they never did much for me. So recently I saw that WW2 flight sim Sky Gambers Storm Raiders was on sale. I wouldn't have bought it for full price but good reviews and the visuals are enough for a 0.99 buy.

Now I'm immensely enjoying the game and have been seeking out other WW2 flight sims on IOS and consoles. Surprisingly I'm finding this kind of air combat more exciting than modern ones like Ace Combat, HAWX, or Metalstorm. I thinks it's because of the challenge and up-close-and-personal combat. You're not waiting for missle locks or throwing out flares. You have to stay on your target's tail and get close. I'm loving it

Same thing happened with Solomon's Keep. I had no interest in dual stick shooters before that. Now I have all of Radiangame's games and dual sticks are my favorite types of shooters on IOS

Have you played other games that you got for free or on sale that made you a fan of a genre?

2. None, because I already enjoyed most genres.

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Jak and Daxter sereies and open world.
    Didn't know of GTA.
    Loved the vast explorable lands. Really had fun.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You didn't know of GTA ? Damn. Thought everyone had heard of that

The Silent Age got me back into point n click games

5. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Dude if you liked that Sky Gamblers, then Air Supremacy is also another game you should try out as well.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #6 Exact-Psience, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Canabalt, I Must Run and Gravity Guy. Made me love runners. Then Temple Run came, and everything was history.

Pepsiman was probably my first runner, but it didnt hold me too long. I think I Must Run on the PSP was the first one i got that got me addicted. Then i had my first idevice which was an ipod touch 4th gen, and started to realize there's a few of them already existing, so i jumped into most of them.

------

Danmaku Unlimited 2 got me so addicted to shmups, a genre i almost hated before. The only one i played before was Gradius 1 & 2, and Salamander (Life Force), then i didnt really like anything else... Until DU2, and thanks to SyntheticVoid who convinced me to trying it out.

------

Puzzle Quest 1. My first PQ was on the DS lite, and that was a start of the love for Puzzle/RPG hybrids and most variants. Been loving the genre ever since. Puzzle Quest alone i owned on the DS, PSP, PC and iOS. My favorites include Puzzle Saga and Dungeon Raid.

------

Infinity Blade. Well, this was one of the reasons i got into iOS gaming, and it's sequel is still one of my favorite games EVER. Right now, it's a genre of its own, and has spawn quite a handful of games, in which most of them are decent, but only a few end up being great. But i love the genre a lot.

------

Angband. The first roguelike i got my hands on. Didnt even know it was a genre, but i told a friend about it (i was in grade school that time) and he knew about the genre, and he invited me to the indepth world of roguelike RPGing. My favorite would have to be Zettai Hero Project on the PSP.

7. Didn't really like FPS games. Though I played a little Halo on my old xbox. But for the most part, didn't like the genre.

And didn't think would work well with touch controls.

Dead Trigger turned me around. Great graphics and controls, sure there were some flaws with the game, but for a quick 5 min game, thought it played very close to what a console would. So coolness.

Signed,
    Connector
    President of the Dead Trigger Defense Squad

[​IMG]

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Well, I was focusing on IOS games but on that note:
    If I hadn't taken the plunge and played Demon's Souls, never would have developed a love for ass-kickingly hard games. Thus no Dark Souls and no Super Hexagon or Impossible Road. Hard difficulty used to scare me away, now I welcome the challenge