iPhone Wrestle Jump - A two player game on a single device!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by oivoi, Nov 4, 2012.

1. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

My first own game Wrestle Jump is coming to iPad and iPhone soon!

Wrestle Jump is an easy to learn two player game on a single screen. It's a silly take on mexican wrestling - your goal is to score points by smashing your opponent's head to the ground. You control your wrestler by pushing just one button.

Check out my website or the gameplay video on Youtube for more info!

I've submitted the game to App Store and it'll hopefully will available for download next week.

Attached Files:

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks hilarious, I'll pick it up once released.

3. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Thanks, BazookaTime!

The game will be released on Wednesday as it was just approved by Apple. The first version will support iPad 2 or newer and iPhone 4 or newer. If you own an older iOS device and would like to test it, you could create an account at TestFlight.com and PM me your account address. It'd be great for me to hear how it runs on Ipad 1.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I need to update my profile, I use an iPad 2 now. I do use TestFlight as well but I don't have an older device, so that won't help.

I will look for the game on Wednesday, good luck with sales.

5. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    Will definitely check it out.I am a big wrestling fan as you can tell from my profile picture and signature :)

6. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Looks fantastic. What game engine did you use?

7. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    Welcome to TA panicBarn :)

8. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    This looks great. Reminds me of one of my favorite games from yesterday, The Fight of the Sumo Hoppers. The two-player mode seems so fun. Instant buy!

9. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Thanks all! panicBarn, I used Unity3D with Unikron's 2D Toolkit plugin.
    Redegard, yes Wrestle Jump is greatly inspired by the awesome DOS game The Fight of the Sumo Hoppers :) It was one of my favourite games as well!

10. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    Brilliant game, Sumo Hoppers. Me and a friend used to play it all the time. We still argue, ten years later, about who's the champion :)
    Anyway, your game seem to have so much potential. Are you thinking of adding new features, levels, etc.? I know I haven't even tried the game in it's current state. But however good the one-button control is, I can't help longing for you to add ability to control the angle of the legs, as in Sumo Hoppers. But perhaps I should wait and see what the game feels like on its own, without comparison. I know you understand my longing for a rebirth of the mighty sumo hoppers. I'm holding my thumbs! Can't wait to try your game.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    When you say it'll be released Wednesday, do you mean in a matter of hours? Like 11pm EST or 5 am here in Lebanon? The game looks like a frickin' blast!

12. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

#12 oivoi, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Redegard, I tried multiple control mechanics with it and after implementing the one button controls there was no going back :) It just works so good. Of course it's different from Sumo Hoppers, but luckily for us Sumo Hoppers is still perfectly playable and awesome through DOSBox :) And yes, even more levels will be added in future updates!

metalcasket, thanks! And yes Wrestle Jump will be availeble on Wednesday at midnight in your timezone! That means in less than 3 hours in Lebanon!

13. panicBarn

panicBarn Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Interesting, currently using Monkey and have thought about the switch to Unity but slightly apprehensive due to the step up in complexity.

14. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    Actually, I did something quite cool a couple of years back: by putting Sumo Hoppers on my old xbox, running DOSBOX, I was able to run two player matches with both players using xbox controllers with analog joysticks as leg-angle controller. Pretty neat, eh? The thing that makes the game a bit cumbersome is, actually, the controls - especially when playing two players on the same keyboard. There HAS to be a really cool way to implement good controls with two on-screen controls for two-player duels on the same ipad. But I have to admit I LOVE the idea of one-button gameplay which you've managed to implement. Horray :)

15. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Haha, yes that sounds like something I would enjoy, too. I personally liked the fact that Sumo Hoppers was so hard to control with its eight button controls :D Quite a contrast to Wrestle Jump's just one button control...

PS. It seems that Apple doesn't update App Stores right at midnight as Wrestle Jump is still not available in Europe. Its already in stores in for example Australia and China, though.

16. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    The thing to like about its controls is that you have so much control. Lots of different angles. But imagine playing it with totally analog stepless leg-control, using a stick, i imagine it would be great. A horizontal slider on the ipad screen would do, I guess. By the way, I like your graphical style; the original was kind of minimalistic and perhaps too stick-man-ish. Speaking of reskinning old games, have you tried Fight Drunk 3D on the App Store? If you remember Sumotori ... ;) Insane, but fun.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Now that Wrestle Jump's been released...well, here you go.