Best turn based strategy game was on the Nokia N-GAGE

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GasparZizou, Apr 25, 2011.

1. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    #1 GasparZizou, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    that's right, a couple years back, there was a cellphone/gaming handheld called N-GAGE which barely no people knew about it, it had a lot of mediocre games, but some good, like Splinter cell, Rainbow Six, Ashen, the One and.... PATHWAY TO GLORY.

[​IMG]

Pathway to glory is a historical TBS based on the WWII in which you can team up a unit of soldiers from the allied forces in a campaign, there's no hexagons, squares or circles for your troops to advance, you can move freely through the whole map, secure houses, bunkers and what not.

you have different types of units from soldiers, snipers, engineers, medics, etc.

the gameplay is based on points, each unit has points to move or to attack that you may use in any way you want, but when you attack, the amount of points you use will affect the precision of you shots, imagine, playing with you sniper units was a blast.

there was a LOT of weapons, from rifles, machine guns, smg, bazookas, grenades, flamethrowers and MORE.

you can use vehicles, like jeeps, tanks, bigger tanks, and more, as well as stationary artillery like AA or 44's.

you can call for airstrikes.

you can play stealthy, or let enemies know you're there.

and all that STILL looks gorgeous on my old N70 170x208 screen, IMAGINE THAT.

this game NEEDS to be ported ASAP to our iDevices, like YESTERDAY.

there was sequel called PWTG Ikusa Islands which was the same except it is set in the Pacific with new weapons, vehicules, maps and mission which is also superb.

i leave you some pics of the game and video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYRx1Q9ltk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMq6w5Hajs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've been on a turn based strategy spree lately; curiously, were you just overcome with sudden nostalgia?

3. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    lol i think i did, but seriously, this game objectively speaking is nothing like i've ever player after and before, with the interface that iOS provides, this could be huge.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Rest in peace ngage, we barely knew ye.

[​IMG]

5. nathancho

nathancho Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    College student
    Denver
    Haha nice!! I'm not the only one who remember the ngage! All I played in high school.. This would be a good port though agreed.

6. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Best turn-based strategy game?

Have you ever played X-Com UFO Defense or Jagged Alliance 2?

7. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    OP probably means on a portable device, and I agree with him. I have been trying to find an N-gage emulator for ages but non exist. Looks like I'm gona have to buy a bloody ngage :-(

8. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Pathway to glory was very good but it was not even close to the best N-gage game the N-gage had some very good games

9. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i mean overall. not just portable.

i did played those games, recurrently when i was younger, and although they are classics, trust me, PWTG is above them, seriously, although i should say that PWTG is ONE of the best TBS, not the best, cause those two IMO come in a close second, i liked civilization too. but PWTG is in another level.

there is no other N-GAGE game that IMO was as fun and as deep as PWTG, and i played all of them, no other game was even close to PWTG in the N-gage. if you think they did, which are those games that you think they are above PWTG?

10. mrdyer1984

mrdyer1984 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's way to boring to even type it in...
    Shrewsbury PA
    Ah the N-Gage...so ahead of it's time. And Pathway was a classic, maybe even port worthy. While we're at it, why not port Silent Storm? That was a heck of a TBS. Who needs a sniper to take out the solider who has you pinned down from a window when you can just blow the whole damn house up :)

11. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    there were a few very good N-gage games like
    X-men legends 1 and 2
    Tomb Raider
    Elder Scrolls
    SonicN
    Rayman 3
    Ssx
    Virtua Tennis
    And prob a few more that i have forgotten

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    @GasparZizou
    I loved my ngage, I still do, it just won't power on, I loved this game, ikusa island & high seize, all of them were bought to the ngage by red lynx & I had emailed them even before rogue planet was officially announced on iOS & they din't care, They made monster truck madness & part 2 with miniclip! Left a bad taste in my mouth >.<

I have been looking for the ngage emulator too, no joy.
    I don't think anyone would be interested in making one as it was not recognized & does not have demand.

I could not agree with you more on these were the best games for me, best strategy games anyone could ever play on a portable device in those days.

13. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    well, IMO yeah, those games were just good, but PWTG is just the pinnacle of N-gage gaming

14. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i agree, but, they're not demanded cause they're not known, any, and i mean ANY developer with a brain would see that those games would be a hit on the iOS considering that the appstore doesn't have many decent TBS and with the marketing that appstore provides well, enough said you know? so sad that it may not happen though :(

15. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #15 steviebwoy, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Well if you've got that much passion for the game, why not track down the developers and suggest it to them? You've nothing to lose! :)

Here's the developer's website:
    http://www.redlynx.com/

They *do* develop for the iPhone, which has to be good news for you. Their latest game appears to be 1000 Heroz.

They've got a forum too, so I'm sure there's plenty of scope to get your thoughts heard :)

More info here:
    http://www.redlynx.com/index.php?id=491&productId=75

16. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    oh! cheers dude! XD

and so my mission began.....

winter is coming... oh wait.

17. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    It is back from the dead!

EKA2L1 EMULATOR & the whole bundle of games is available somewhere on the internet with the tut!

18. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    I thought I was the only passionate N-Gage gamer! Both Pathway to Glory games were absolutely brilliant... To be honest though I think at one point, I owned 75% of the titles available.

Redlynx - They were the absolute dogs, they released top titles on the N-Gage and then on the N-gage 2.0 on Nokia devices later on... I loved Reset Generation too!

Other top titles were Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Bomberman, Glimmerati, One, Pocket Kingdom, Sega Rally, Sonic N, Worms World Party, Ashen and Colin Macrae Rally... It was such a shame it was a massive flop.