Magnetic Shaving Derby

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nyarla, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

#1 nyarla, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    (updated - 4th of July 2010)

Hi! It's been awhile. I finally finished Magnetic Shaving Derby and submitted it yesterday. It's quite a bit more frantic than it was when I first made this thread :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Magnetic Shaving Derby is a simple little arcade game about shaving a guy’s face by attracting a razor with a magnet.

It started off as a homebrew game for the Nintendo DS (which can be downloaded from here) which I made for a friendly little coding competition. Now it's an iPhone game.

The iPhone version is pretty much the same, but with more. As well as the classic time trial mode, it has a 3-minute score attack mode which has powerups, fruit, hazards and other stuff thrown into the mix. The scoring system rewards skillful shaving.

Each powerup will both help and hinder you in different ways, and each hazard is an opportunity to score more points. The effects of different combinations of powerups can be useful.. or disastrous!

It has tilt and touch controls, an original chiptune mini-soundtrack of 6 songs, 8-bit style sound effects & pixelly graphics.

It's OpenFeint enabled.. separate leaderboards for tilt and touch mode (tilt mode is hard!), and achievements.

2. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Looks painful :p

Nice work though, you don't see many things like this anymore, or at least recently

3. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    The screens look somehow boring, but the video showed that it is quite funny :D

4. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Thanks dudes :D

Sorry I didn't reply for months. Figured I'd wait till I had something to show before bumping the thread.. Finally submitted my game to Apple yesterday. Yay! I've updated the first post with details.

5. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    looks awesome :D

6. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Thanks!

The tiny little MSD soundtrack can now be downloaded from my site.. 6 songs in 6.5 minutes, haha. Enjoy!

Direct link to file

7. This ... is bizarre. Yet strangely somewhat compelling. Like Hover Bovver, only on a face ... and if it was designed by Japanese game show creators. Who were drunk. And then ate an entire bowl of shrooms fried in lysergic diethylmide. In a pan made of crack. Naked.

But in a good way.

8. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

hahaha, excellent.

Also.. yay Hover Bovver! The shaving/mowing similarity didn't occur to me til after I made the original MSD. <3 Llamasoft.

9. Jeff Minter is awesome. He never failed to make the quirkiest, yet most entertaining games. This game kind of reminded me of that, except for the fact that "quirky" is a vast understatement. :)

10. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

That's a massive compliment. Thanks!!

Jeff Minter has pretty much been my biggest inspiration in my game making adventures.. loved his games since I was a kid with a C64, though I haven't played his newest couple yet. Original and interesting game mechanics and enemy behaviours..attention to detail..lots of particles & things exploding and such.. and FUN :)

I can't claim to be able to achieve anywhere near that level of awesomeness, but I hope I can at least learn from it and start working towards it in my own way..... MSD is only a small game and I'm only a noob at game making, but if anyone finds it even a fraction as fun as I've found most of Llamasoft's games I'll be mega happy. :)

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    ohh I love it.. this is what the iPhone needs more of, seriously. Just weird crazy apps that sound amazing. can't wait to pick it up!

12. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

headcaseGames, cool :D

If by "apps that sound amazing" you mean the audio (rather than the description?).. thanks!! Music and sound are my favourite parts of games, after gameplay. I had lots of fun trying to make 8-bit style sfx that fit with the action. The music is Commodore 64 SID tunes I made with Goattracker. Always loved that bouncy, twinkly, crunchy chiptune sound. <3

13. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This really looks like fun. Wacky, crazy fun.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How come real life shaving is never this fun?

15. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

*hands LordGek a magnet* ;D

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nope, that isn't enough!

I need a magnet, a straight edge razor, a BUCKET of hallucinogenic drugs, and to have the following record playing off in the background:

17. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

hahaha. ace. @_@

18. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Hooray! App status: In review. *crosses fingers*

Meanwhile I'm working on a minor update before it's even out... just noticed one of the achievements is actually impossible. :eek: It's because of a last minute addition I made to the scoring system. Oops.

I'm also trying to optimise it a bit more and will be making a few small cosmetic changes, whilst fighting with my beard. Hoping to submit the update asap.

19. Piasintein

Piasintein Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I found out MSD by accident (how was/how is thread) and there was instant love! :D

20. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Fantastic news. Really looking forward to the release of this one.