The Great Icon Redesign conspiracy of 2010

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drlemon, Oct 22, 2010.

1. drlemon

drlemon Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Have you ever seen a time when, in the app store, an app appears to have retina support, but then when you download it it doesn't? Do you hate that? if you haven't seen this, a good example of this, up until recently, was Doodle God (0.99$). If you looked at it in the store, you would see a beautiful icon with detailed swirls (you still can see that), but if you bought and downloaded it, it would look ugly and pixelated. It doesn't do that now, it got retina support. A current, and free version of this mass icon redesign is Squish the Zombies Zero, by AQsystem. If you view it in the store, it has a crisp icon, but, when you download it, its ugly. What do you think is going on? Does apple redesign icons? I've also seen this on year-old, never updated apps, so a preview is out of the question.

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I've noticed this on Time Geeks.
    The app icon looks great on the store and even in my iTunes app folder but on my iPod 4th gen it looks horrid.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    When you submit an app, you give them a 512x512 version of the icon. I'm sure they just bring that down to whatever sizes you're device is capable of displaying.

4. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

Yes! we know and it's fixed in the upcomming upgrade. Look the new icon ;)
    [​IMG]

5. drlemon

drlemon Member

Jul 12, 2010
    But...

Love time geeks, cant wait for the update! also, that wouldn't explain Doodle God or some other apps. I've seen apps that's icons look COMPLETELY different on the store, but then when you download them they look ugly. When you submit an 512*512 icon, do you make it look totally different, or do you get as close as possible?

6. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

You can submit different icons for each resolution. The problem is there are lot of different resolutions to work and it'ss easy forget some resolution:

Application icon iTunes: 512 x 512 pixels
    Application icon iPhone: 57 x 57 pixels
    Application icon iPhone4: 114 x 114 pixels
    Application icon iPad: 72 x 72 pixels
    Settings/Search results icon iPhone 29 x 29 pixels
    Settings/Search results icon iPhone4 58 x 58
    Search results icon iPad 50 x 50 pixels

7. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Cool, can't wait for the update

8. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Actually, if anyone is running an iPhone 4, they'll have noticed that EVERY app in the in-phone appstore has a Retina enabled icon, and yet only a minority still download with it entact. This is a source of GREAT frustration to me, cos quite frankly, I don't want low res icons on my homescreen.

But I miss out on so many great games that way!!

Yeh. Don't care. Please sort it out Apple. Surely that has to be a firmware update to upscale all apps depending on model, rather than expecting every developer to update their icons just for iPhone 4.