What is the best way to promote an update?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Moonjump, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    #1 Moonjump, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    I released my game TiltStorm about 2 weeks ago. Here is the release thread. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=73310&highlight=tiltstorm

TiltStorm is a Tempest style game. Sales have been very poor, feedback has been the the accelerometer controls are not liked for an arcade game.

So I have been working on an update that adds a virtual control option. In addition I have changed to automatic firing. Players tend to fire all the time, except on the obstacle levels, so I set the game to do that as standard, and increased the firing rate while I was at it. I've also changed the icon, splash screen, menu graphics and instruction screen (I needed to this anyway to show the new controls). I've shortened the gap between levels to speed up game play, and compressed the game end sequence.

I'm almost complete on a free version that I intend to call TiltStorm Survival. It has 1 life per game, rather than 3 + an extra one every 10 levels. And has an advert that doesn't affect gameplay as the circular movement means there is no action at the top of the screen. Otherwise it is identical to the paid version.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to promote this update that changes how the game is played? Any strategies for how I should time the submission and releases of the update and free version?

I was thinking of submitting the free version, then leave it a couple of days before submitting the update. I can delay the new free version, but not the update once submitted, and would like to be able to release them at the same time.

The new icon:

[​IMG]

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you can control the release date of updates now.. itc will ask if you want to to go life immediatly after release or release it manually.

well judging from the look of the game i can assume at least one reason why it doesnt sell..

3. Renegadecitizen

Renegadecitizen Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    will the free version have the new gameplay?
    cause if it does and the paid version isnt updated yet
    u may piss off some customers

4. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    It is not very useful to say something isn't very good, without saying what is wrong.

What is wrong with the look?

Thanks for that. The free version will have all the updated features. I will make sure the free version isn't released until the update is live. I am hoping to be able to have the free version go live on the same day as the update for one big hit.

5. bigbadbrush

bigbadbrush Well-Known Member

Hmm... Have been wondering this myself.

I've updated a game but am not sure how I should promote it besides the usual twitter, facebook and forums.
    I'll stay tune to this thread and see what other people say.

6. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    One thing I have decided to do is submit my update to the paid version at the same time as the new free version. Apparently updates go through faster, and hopefully the paid version will gain a few reviews on the new version before the free version comes out, therefore looking better for any prospective buyers enticed by the free app.