The Best of the Best?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by oscar123967, Aug 17, 2014.

?

Which game has offered the best experience to you?

1. Doodle Jump

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Tiny Wings

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Jetpack Joyride

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #1 oscar123967, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    I was looking over all of the apps I have on my iPhone earlier today and I realized that I have only 3 games that I've never deleted after installing them around launch. Why? Well because they take up only a few mb, they have little to no loading screens, they have quick gameplay sessions, they still get updates, oh... and most importantly, they're absolutely unique. Whether its the art style, the fun gameplay, the competitiveness aspect, whatever. No doubt each one impacted their genre in a specific way. One of them released in 2009, the other two in 2011.

They're Doodle Jump, Tiny Wings, and Jetpack Joyride. Which one have you had the best experience with? Which one is more memorable? Which one have you spent the most time with? Which one is still on your device today? I'm interested in your guys' opinions

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I went with tiny wings but it was a difficult choice between that and jet pack. Tiny wings has brought a lot of fun with the multiplayer part which made me choose that.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same here. I would pick Tiny Wings too.

Thing is, these titles may still be some of the best in their genre, but in some ways each one has been surpassed by other titles now. I still have all 3 on my iphone ever since, but it's been a while since i got to play them. And if i did, i probably wont the next day anymore.

4. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #4 oscar123967, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Yeah, I still play them but very rarely. I wouldn't say each one has been surpassed by other titles though, they're still up there on the charts. I just think we've all had our time with these games & we've moved on.

I had to go with Jetpack Joyride, it was a close call though. I had a great time trying to beat my friends' scores, buying gadgets, spinning the slot machine and hoping to get something good, riding the fun vehicles that change up the gameplay in their own way, and customizing the skins of everything. I really never had as much entertainment value with any other runner.

I still can't decide who takes second place though. Doodle jump was pretty much the first flappy-bird type game, where everyone had it and everyone was competing. No multipliers, no power ups, nothing. Just beat your friends score, and once you've accomplished that you get some sort of adrenaline. What do you do next? Play again and beat your own score. And how you had to cope with your shaky hands when getting a high score. Then they added themes and obstacles and multiplayer. They gave the game a lot more variety. It was an awesome time.

Tiny wings was a deeply beautiful game though. The art style was cute, the music was peaceful and lovely, and the gameplay was calm and addicting. Its artistic elements were very unique. Trying to achieve the highest nest & trying to get to that 9th island before your friends did. Then update 2.0 came out and added a whole new element to the game. It was an awesome game as well, but it didn't offer that same competitiveness feel that doodle jump did. It does make up for that with its addictive challenges, beautifulness, and its 2.0 update.

If only Tiny Wings would add multiplayer with a simple rating system :rolleyes:

5. REPUBLIQUE, Infinity Blade and Fieldrunners are the most original and best games i've ever player on iOS.
    Honorable mention to port from other console : Anomaly, Frozen Synapse, Baladur's Gate, Shadowrun, Star Wars KOTOR, Dragon Quest VIII.
    I'm just disapointed that some editors don't do original games anymore (Capcom and EA for example) too many clones.

6. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    All great games :)

Fresh new IP does come around every once in a while. The big companies do lack this a little though. But I mean their games are still making tons and tons of money & they're not too bad, definitely not jaw droppers though.