What type of 2d game should we make?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoVe, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011

That's a good idea, but than with other graphics.

2. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
  3. Lufia

Lufia Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Germany
    I would also love a game like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory. Or perhaps something similar, not with a farming theme but a village/city building theme. Something like the building part of Azure Dreams (Playstation) but with more depth would be great. It would be awesome if you could decide between different buildings and characters (and even flavour?) for your city. That would also lead to replayability because you could build a different village the next playthrough.

Or a deep survival simulation would be great. Something like "the unreal world" (PC). Ok, perhaps not THIS deep, I don't know if it would sell, but not too simple.

4. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Strategic_Conquest_(screenshot).jpg
    http://www.grenier-du-mac.net/copiecran/S/StrategicConquestcol.png

I was totally obsessed with this game one of my first macs way back in the day.

It's a fairly simple two player game (I almost always played against a computer opponent though back then), but a single game can span many many hours. You start with one unit in mostly blackness, and go about exploring your starting island. There'll be a random number of unoccupied cities to find in your immediate vicinity. You capture those, and then they can produce new units. From there you build transports from coastal cities and go about expanding.

In time, you have your first encounter with the opponent, and then you go about trying to figure out where they, where their largest islands are, etc.

it has a great set of units that are just enough to provide some really nice strategy without ever being too complicated (I was about 8 I think when I first played this game).

So yeah, I'd play the hell out of this game on my iPad. I'm really tempted to make the game myself, but if you want to beat me to it, go for it.

I'm sure it's been cloned already in some form (surely), but to my knowledge not on iOS.

5. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I guess, I could explain better. A deck building game similar to Magic or Ascension with card updates, but they can only be purchased with in-game currency or unlocked in challenges. This would have everyone (potentially) on the same "playing field" and not be governed by in-app purchases, as opposed to skill.

6. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    #27 tim240, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I like free roam games and FPSes! After seeing what they did with Gameloft's Backstab I think can make a mediocre Assassin's Creed.As for 2d games, something like sonic or super mario is always fun and maybe with something different because these games I find can get repetitive.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    For me, a good Demolition Derby in the Arena-type game with great graphics, physics, and collision detection with incredible explosions, booming sound, and parts flying off! Been waiting for this, and, so far, there hasn't been anything to speak of here on the IOS STILL! Would love to see it, and I know I'm not alone here jonesing for that!! Eventually, someone's gonna pull it off and it's gonna be BIG!

8. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Do you know a download for a mac with this game or a clone. Than I can look further. You can also mail me on [email protected]

9. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    We only develop 2d games at the moment.

10. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    The best way would be to get a mac emulator and find the original, but I don't know the best links for this at the moment. It's been a while.

BasaliskII if it's still supported - that was the best emu option I remember.

11. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Ok, I would do that soon and see if I gonna make it! Thanks for your suggestion!

12. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I would love to see a fighter in the style of super smash bros

13. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    2 player coop arpg

14. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Also with many characters?

15. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Only 2 player?

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    OK, fair enough. Still, that's what I'd like someone to make, though!

17. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Something really deep with great AI.

18. JoVe

JoVe Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    And which genre?

19. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I'd love to see another great fighter too! Many characters to choose from and a ramping difficulty AI with multiplayer support so we can play online vs each other!