Curse of the update?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Jan 3, 2013.

1. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Are updates the curse to end all curses? Not if they add content but do they allow for lazy play testing knowing punters will do that for them, report bugs and then we have to wait for then to fix them before we find the next lot. As a gamer well before updates over air were ever dreamed of games although less complicated were never as buggy as today's games because far more testing was done as it was far harder to fix after release.

2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yeah get rid of updates. Lets's get back to the glitch-free days of gaming.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #3 psj3809, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Updates are great, love turning on my ipod and seeing what new updates i have.

Most updates seem to be extra features and yeah a fair few are for bug fixes which often i'm not even aware of

Before the internet you had to send off for a disc for bug fixes to install a patch etc. I dont think devs are lazy, theyre under a lot of pressure. I remember in the Baldurs Gate thread when the game was postponed by a month or so people were saying 'i dont care about bugs, i want the game now !' but they'll be the first to leave a scathing 1/5 review !

I havent come across too many games which are 'super buggy'. Recently Ravensword had a fair few bugs but not that bad for myself, i managed to complete the game later in the week. I've had no huge showstoppers, some games dont like ios6 but they're often fixed quite soon after.

But i love getting updates which give you even more such as different controls schemes or more levels etc

Often for games which are 99c or even free its amazing how much you get for your money (then they release more levels etc all for a dollar), amazing value

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Amen. People stop whining about updates first you complain when we don't get them now you do. There's never a bug free market look at ps3 and 360.