the only thing prevent ios to be a gaming handheld

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Nov 16, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would say only thing prevent iphone/itouch to be a valid gaming handheld is it's ridiculous tiny screen.
    I played Paper Monsters and Crazy Hedgy on my itouch and it suprise me.
    It works extremely well and so highly polished.
    But for MC3, I can't really play it, if it has a screen as big as S3, it may be better. I'm not sure, but Note 2 should be really big enough.
    I'd ever think touch control is a problem, and the huge screen of ipad just make people forget the problem to some extent instead of solve the problem.
    But now I can say I was wrong, touch control is never a problem, I played Paper Monsters and Street Fighters on my touch and I never tap the wrong 'button' or wrong area, it feels so good and intuitive.

The only problem is the screen size of itouch is so tiny, it can't handle too much 'buttons' for a game like MC3.
    but the games are alreay good enough to be a valid gaming handheld.
    and somehow I may forget some what I want say in this post because a missionary interupt my thinking by knocking the door.

2. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    The iPad is perfect for gaming, but iPad mini probably better because its I think meant for games as the iOS gaming improves

3. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I would say it is the ambition of developers and willingness of the playerbase to accept their level of work with the 'oh you pay what you get for..it is <$5 what do you expect' mentality.

4. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    The shame is games like Crazy Hedgy and Paper Monsters didn't sell millions even if it's only 1-3 dollars.
    I would say such as Paper Monsters, the quality of the game is really good enough, it's so highly polished and well-designed.
    even if it learned a lot of things from Mario, but the some details is even better. You can see the graphic feels so harmonious and clear.
    I'm not saying the game is fun so everyone should love it, I'm saying it's a full game, it's deep and not monotonous, it gets different things to collect in the game and it's support charater customization.
    The game quality of IOS is not the problem any more, it's well worth it.
    Users should not complain the quality of games too much due to they already get the really good games by amazing cheap price.
    But the screen size is still too small for some genres and games.

5. Just buy an ipad 4, then your problems are solved. But the main problem to me is a wirless joystick is needed, and sd card support.

6. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    the ipad(including the ipad mini) is way too big to be a valid handheld gaming console.
    I can't really kill some time by the ipad when I need to kill time because I can't really bring it with me wherever I go.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #7 violentv, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    Exactly what I was talking about ..this mentality about just accepting the game as they are based on the quality/price ratio. Lots of people seem to 'righteously'champion it whenever the quality of the game comes under question...but I abhor this way of thinking as I think it begets mediocrity..why are people so willing to compromise?!

Also..we obviously have differing views about 'deep' games. Paper monster deep? erm..I don't think deep is something used to describe platformers. (Perhaps I am just being biased here..never like platformers..even though I keep buying them based on recommendations!)

Luckily..we have ports of games to fall back upon when we get frustrated enough...or some really amazingly original games like Ravenmark/mage gauntlet etc. Price should never be a factor when considering the quality of the game..it might be a very idealistic point of view that developers cannot afford to subscribe to(Understandably) ...but I would never want to compromise on my consumption needs/standards just because a game is cheaper.

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I think A good bit of games play great or pretty good on the screen of an iPod or iPhone. If not then thats where he iPad would be the better choice. That's why alot of game are iPad only because of size, but I still wouldn't say playing most games on the smaller sceen is that big of an issue.

I remember playing on gameboys and such and those screens were way smaller but could still offer enjoyable gaming expirience.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with the above. Disagree with Klarence totally

The small screen hasn't stopped iPods and apps being sold in their millions. I anything the small size is why it's so popular

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I don't mind the "small" screen, that's just your opinion. I can play any games and all genres just fine on it.

Only thing I miss on the iOS devices are games from bigger companies... I mean everyone gets some love (PC, PSP, PS, Nintendo DS, Wii, XBOX...) only mobile doesent get any of it (mostly). I think that bigger companies underestimate mobile devices...
    But on the other side that means that we have more and more indie developers, which is a good thing. But that's another topic...

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Either too big or too small, huh? Just get over it. Adapt; you were designed to. Millions of us are managing just fine. I was happy with my iPod and now I'm happy with my iPad, gaming is brilliant on it.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just got my iPod touch 5th gen and love it

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Nice! The 5th gen is a huge upgrade from the 4; I'm sure you'll love the increased performance. The very decent camera and bigger screen of course doesn't hurt, too ;)

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Not worth it to talk on this thread. It's klarence. You all remember his Gameloft thread, right?

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I mean if he doesn't like iOS gaming, doesn't like his new iPod touch 5 (????) then sell then and get another gadget. No point moaning all the time

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Exactly. All he points out are the "flaws" of iOS gaming. And even the flaws are just his opinion.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You're pointing at "3DS/PSP-troll"? ;)

18. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    yes,this is a good point. I agree with small size make it popular.
    but if there is a extra large itouch I can choice, just like ipad mini to ipad. there is itouch xl market needs.

19. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I suggest to think like because the big company want make money from both platfroms, they can't make same quality games for different platforms due to the price gap.
    and sometimes some big companies only want make a quick money from IOS, so they make a shallow and rough game.
    and there is another important reason, some big guys are way too big and they have better life for a long time, they'd already lost the ability to make a quality game with the limited budget.

20. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    how? even within this post, i praise about the quality of IOS gaming and it's cheap price.