Soul

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Prozak, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, let's make a list of games wich has soul

What is 'soul' exactly in gaming terms? Well it isn't something you can describe exactly but it's sort off a warm feeling you get while playing the game knowing that the makers but their hearts into the product and did everything they could to make it like a beautifull polished result.

so far only 2 titles pops up in my mind wich has these kind of soul.
    Bumpy Road
    Tiny Wings

I'm sure there must be more in the app-sea of dogshit vommit and goatspit bundled with diarrheasauce on top of it.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Mission Europa- Holy crap sometimes I wish the developer had a little less soul and let someone else do the art, but damn if that one guy didn't create something unique and jaw droppingly awesome.

3. Duss321

Duss321 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Sword and sorcery
    Today i die again (really short, can be finished in 5 minutes).
    Bar oasis

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Soul is the title of a horror/ghost game.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Kometon
    Phoenix Wright
    Touch Detective
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Secret of Mana
    100 Rogues
    Carcasonne
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Puzzle Agent

6. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I agree with you that Tiny Wings qualifies. I'd say that many of the big iOS-centric hits have a lot of soul: Fieldrunners, Fruit Ninja, League of Evil, Spider, Helsing's Fire, and Space Miner are all on my frontmost screens.

Galaxy on Fire is largely set in space but it looks sooo nice and plays so well.

People always say that Gameloft lacks soul, but I'd disagree. Voice talent, maybe, but their titles have plenty of polish and very nice art direction.

The opposite of soul: a game where you can almost see the code tying things together, like some amateur efforts with GameSalad.

In the middle: Pocket Legends. Lovely art, easy gameplay, stuck onto a largely mindless grind-fest and saddled with in-app purchasing. I'm undecided about how I feel that Star Legends seems to be in limbo.

7. Appxel

Appxel Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I got a couple of RPGs (like Sacred Odyssey, Zenonia 3, Wild Frontier) that I never touched. I think the reason is that in my opinion, iPhone + RPGs doesn't sound like the best of combinations.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I want games that is easy to pick up and play, not complicated.