Samurai Puzzle Battle

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rpb1975, Mar 10, 2009.

1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Quick quesiton...please answer then you can let this thread die.

I have and love PQ (Puzzle Quest), but I keep hearing and reading about Samurai Puzzle Battle. Does it make sense to have both. Does anyone out there play both. If so, please explain how they are different or why you would want both. I am interested in getting Samurai Puzzle Battle, but I want to know I will actually play it.

Thank you in advance for the help! :D (yes, I am assuming you will help)

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Both are match 3 obviously.

But while Puzzle Quest is a match 3 puzzle RPG hybrid, Samurai Puzzle Battle is more of a match 3 strategy hybrid. You send out your units to capture territory, but instead of the usual strategy battles the battles are instead match 3 puzzles against opposing units.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Nice summary...think of SPB as match 3 combined with Risk. It's actually very good and challenging.

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh, and wrap it all up with a pretty nice soundtrack. It's appropriately epic.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think there is a fun game here but I hope they come through with the promised updates. I like the actual battles but find most of the game's other mini-games a bit tedious.

You move armies about in sort of a Risk-like map of Feudal Japan and then fight it out in an almost Puzzle Quest battle. The board's symbols represent Strength, Mana, Health, Physical Attack, and Magical Attack. Keep your Strength, Mana, and Health levels up while you smack your opponent down with Physical and Magical Attacks. There are no spells per se but the game's various units have different strengths and weaknesses which you try to exploit by picking the best units to counter your enemy's armies (like tanks who deliver huge damage in their physical attacks but would have little effect on ghosts who are immune to physical damage).

6. Still have to play it more but Chop Sushi seems to be a huge hidden gem for me. I dismissed thinking it was another match 3 but it's not. I didn't like Samurai Puzzle Battle at first due to the controls but they've since fixed that but it's quick moves before time runs out. Still can't get into Samurai Puzzle Battle and believe me I've tried. Chop Sushi has no time limit on your moves it's pure strategy. Puzzle Quest and Aurora Feint might be too heavy for me and Chop Sushi seems like a decent toned down version. I was always waiting for Chop Sushi to drop to $1 and couldn't figure out why they kept it at $3...now I know it has ton of depth I was unaware of.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Call me a masochist but the one thing SPB has over the competition is that you can lose. While I appreciate the idea of multiple lives and or limited redos, games that allow you to retry a level endlessly without a penalty remove most of the fun tension in a game.

8. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Interesting take on Chop Sushi...I may have check that out because I like the pure strategy without time limits part.

9. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Same here... I thought it's just another match-3 but I read the description again and it says adventure. Might have to check this one :)

10. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Oh no! Now I have to get Samurai Puzzle Battle and Chop Sushi? Why did I start this thread ;)

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Did you like SPB Lite? I have only tried it for a couple of minutes, so I have no opinion yet, but I'd try it in your place ;).

12. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Yeah, I'll try the lite version when I get home. I wasn't sure what was in the lite version because I see three versions of the game (lite, arcade, and full). I just thought I would ask users about the game before I take the time to clear out a game to make room for the lite version (yeah....I have too many games...nm, that isn't possible :D)

13. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #13 Big Albie, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Check here to find out about the differences...http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/27/samurai-puzzle-battle-combines-risk-and-match-3/

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    There's already a thread and article about this. Please search.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    btw, yes, SPB is a very good game. I love the strategy built right into the battle and the risk-part.

16. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I did search, but I have a job and not all day! :)

Please don't mention searching. I mentioned the reason for the thread in the first post which you quoted. Look at my forum history and then judge.

By the way, thank you for the help guys! I looked over that article, and it really helped (thank you Big Albie :D)!

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sorry, but search was the answer I got when I made a new thread on SPB and there had been one before mine, LOL.

anyway, do you finally buy it?

18. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Oh, no hard feelings....I was just being defensive of my stupidity :D

I did buy it after trying the lite version. I am a sucker for good apps!

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    You should let us know how you're liking it as you get into the game more.

20. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Will do!