Ashley Ao - Sci-fi Concept Art and Development Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Shaz, Sep 4, 2011.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Like me :)

2. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

I checked some of the screenshots for Outcast too. Our game will be 2D but I think I can see where you're coming from with the feel of some of the environments.

The story in games is often an integral part of the experience for me. The sci-fi story we have planed for this project is really cool. I'm really looking forward to bringing it to life. You're gonna love it...!

3. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

That's great guys, cheers :cool:

We still have to iron out various things, but I'll keep you posted.

4. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Don't worry :) , we're paying a lot of attention to every component aspect and how they interact and compliment each other. So the story, art, gameplay and sound will all reinforce each other to make for a great, sci-fi themed gaming experience.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm definitely hooked and will follow closely the game (or...as closely you will permit us) as possible.
    BTW I LOVE 2D (much more than 3D) and I think it's the way to go in general for iOS gaming right now, so I'm glad you choose that route.
    Loving story based games (regardless of their genre) I particoularly appreciate your last sentence :)

6. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

alien concept art

Ok, so we're still hard at work on this game. It's going well, we seem to be able to work really fast on it.

I've got the main combat controls pretty much sorted and Ryan has been doing a load of character animations which are turning out great.

I still don't want to post any videos until we have it more polished. But in the meanwhile here's some concept art of one the species you'll encounter in the game. And the adjusted and animated versions look even better...

[​IMG]

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Is that an enemy?

8. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hi Arta, actually we're just finishing up the first preview video. So you'll see some footage really soon...

But yes, that's the concept art for the first species that you'll combat.

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Will be glad to finally see video.

10. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    tickle me pink, i'm intrigued.

11. Salamandaga

Salamandaga Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Gameplay Video #1

We're glad to say we can now show you the first footage of the game!

There are two main gameplay styles. This first video (there will be more) shows our hero Ashley Ao in a couple of scenes which are all about action.

We won't give too much of the story away yet, but Ashley is on a planet which is part way to being terraformed for a foreign race. But the planet isn't quite as yielding as the scouting colony were led to believe.

In terms of controls, you can trigger combo attacks by timing successive hits using the two action buttons. We've designed the play mechanic so you can keep pulling out the chains of combos without stopping if you time it right. So you can keep cycling through the ground and air attacks which you'll need as you come across stronger hazards.

You can also swipe to change lanes and hold down one of the buttons to speed boost. But don't let too many of the aliens get past you or you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

We'll also be adding some more moves and abilities but we'll talk more about that another time.

So here you go, enjoy...!

12. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks very nice.

13. Salamandaga

Salamandaga Member

Sep 4, 2011
  14. zombiesmoke

zombiesmoke Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Really diggin' the art style:D

15. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#35 Shaz, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    Press Pack for Ashley Ao

Cheers, we'll have some more to show soon. We're working on some cool boss scenes at the moment. :cool:

The preview articles have started to come in. Here are a couple from Wrixel and Droidgamers and a post on PocketGamer.

Hopefully a few more places will pick up on the preview trailer and post it. If anyone reading contrubutes to gaming sites, you can download the press pack for Ashley Ao here. Also feel free to get in touch if you want different screenshots etc.

16. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

More previews

Some more preview articles coming in (no I don't sit here googling my own apps all day, I've got a google alert set up :p )

App Safari gave us a nice write up. Glad to hear the reviewer is enthustiastic about what they've seen (and heard!) so far. (We're still making the game so the 'available on the app store' button isn't quite accurate).

Also TheCareerGamer.com gave us a nice little post.

GameTrailers put the preview up too. I like the streets of rage comment. I suppose it's fair enough for what we've shown of the game so far.

So overall feedback so far is positive - seems like peeps are looking forward to playing Ashley Ao. Be interesting to see what comments we get when we show the other gameplay elements.

17. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It looks amazing, but being a runner turns me off.

18. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Check back soon and see what you think of the other gameplay elements. You may be pleasantly surprised...

19. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Will do. I'm always willing to be surprised. :)

20. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Interview in ifanzine

Hi guys, you can find out some more about Ashley Ao in an interview we did for ifanzine.

[​IMG].