Universal Grand Theft Auto III (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by crex, Dec 14, 2011.

1. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I have a iPhone 4, gonna skip on this cuz of the framerate. Looked at the video and it definitely lags. I did not grow up playing this game so no nostalgia factor for me. The auto aim also sucks, if this werent a port and were a brand new game people would be going crazy saying how bad it is. SKIP.

2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I think you mean 30 years ago. 10 years ago we were playing xbox, dreamcast, gamecube and playstation 2. 10 years before that we were playing genesis and super nintendo. 10 years before that we were playing atari 2600 and colecovision.

3. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Granted i'm playing it on the iPhone 4s but its flawless. I couldn't see it being much worse on the 4. Imo its well worth the asking price. But if you don't need GTA on your phone, then by all means buy something else.

No lag what-so-ever on 4s. If the version for iPhone 4 has fewer textures i can't imagine any lag on it as well.

4. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    It doesn't lag at all on my iPhone 4. It plays and looks far better than I expected. I reckon my insight is more accurate because I've actually played the game rather than determine its quality via a you tube video !

5. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I think that RebornProphet made it pretty obvious that he was referring to the world of mobile gaming, not console gaming.

6. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was totally playing Snake on my old Nokia 10 years ago! And now there's an app for that :cool:

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I did grow up playing this and I'd probably agree with you there's a lot of nostalgia here for some of us and I can easy look past things like the controls and graphics etc simply because I'm playing a full GTA game that I used to play on my ps2.
    Although I'm playing on an iPod 4G 32gig and it runs perfectly fine the only time I get any lag is when notifications pop up from appshopper etc.
    For the price though which is incredible for the game your getting, let's not forget this was the first 3D GTA Game which IMO was a huge landmark in gaming history and worth owning for that alone.

8. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    To say it 'lags' is maybe a bit drastic but the game does not run at a smooth 30fps (it's more like 20-25 fps most of the time) on the iPhone 4 AND runs at sub-retina resolution (except for UI and menus) with most of the lighting fx turned off. It's still done very well and the game is very playable, it's clear Rockstar did their best to really get it running decently to the point that most people would not notice the very slight issues. However, if you're sensitive to them, depending on how much you want GTA3 on your phone, you might wanna skip the game.

I'm pretty sensitive to such issues and I gotta say the game runs acceptably on my iPhone, it's in that thin gray area between annoying and smooth, never really falling into the former (thankfully) and occasionally, when you're in some back ally where there's nothing going on, falling into the latter.

9. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    How do you deal with autoaim? Say you approach a group of thugs armed with bats and start firing. You'll randomly (?) target one of them and shoot untill he dies. Okay, you kill maybe 2 guys. Now the surviving thugs are running at you and getting close. So you try to backpedal and keep shooting. Doesn't work as the only way to move backwards is to turn around. If you turn around you cannot target the enemies.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Anyone experiencing crashing on ipad 1st gen? I'm getting it like crazy!

While normally I would complain, this was never intended to come to older devices anyways so I'll take what I can get. Hopefully they find a way to stabilize it a little better though.

11. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    If it's running on a 3G itouch, I like/love to know (only mine isn't jailbroken) please confirm

12. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Did you clear the multitasking bar and reboot before playing? The game runs perfectly smoothly on my iPhone 4 for me as well. I'd also say it runs at 30 fps and maybe even a bit higher.

13. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I believe it has been figured out that it does run - but the reports vary as to how well it runs. I'd like a definitive before I decide to buy it.

14. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    Runs like a DREAM on the ipad 2 and is like buttah, silky smooth on my new Quadcore android Asus Transformer Prime tablet. Graphics look redone a bit and look great.

15. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    #355 Neehan, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Game Impressions

My impressions on this game are simply, WOW!

When this game came out our cell phones looked like this...

[​IMG]

Now our cell phones can play one of the greatest games of our generation. I remember the first time I played this game and how amazed I was at the vast open world. Now I can fit that world in my pocket. I was always partial to GTA 3 even when the later ones came out as none could produce the same WOW! feeling I got playing the first fully 3D GTA game.

It's hilarious to think that Gameloft has spent years trying to create a decent GTA clone and in my opinion has failed miserably. Now Rockstar comes along and goes BOOM! heres a game we made 10 years ago and it still blows your half arsed clones out of the water.

I'm playing on an old iPhone 4. The game runs silky smooth most of the time. I do get the occasional slow down when a lot is happening on screen. I'll have to see how this pans out further in the game as things get more intense. Hopefully, Rockstar will support to game with updates that address optimization. Seems like they got rid of a few things to have it work on A4 devices with is fine by me. Getting rid of shadows and lighting effects is a small price to pay for smooth gameplay.

Controls are great, and customizable. I initially had trouble with the steering while driving as the directional controls made it hard to make fine adjustments in order to stay in a lane. Then I changed the controls to analog steering and I'm having a much better time with that. Basically, I use small swipes to correct steering and swipe and hold down when I need to turn.

The only thing I'm not too impressed about is shooting and locking onto enemies. Basically you just hold down the shoot button and it automatically targets someone close to you. I don't really see a way to switch who your locked onto, but I might just be missing something here. I remember the lock on system in the original pretty crappy, so I don't completely blame the port. I simply wish they took the time to great a touch oriented battle system. Tap to target would have been great.

Sound is great. You have car noises, honking, sirens, random people yelling at you, all the great stuff you remember from you PS2. Also, the radio stations are great, while the later ones had better licensed tracks, this one has hilarious knock-offs songs that are so funny I often like them better than the tunes they are emulating. Also, Chatterbox is freaking hilarious, none of the other GTA talk stations come close. The voices do sound kind of crappy with a weird echo type thing going on. Its hard to explain, but certainly not a big deal. The voice problem does make chatterbox a little annoying. The voice problem is much more noticeable when using headphones.

Menus are retina display which is much appreciated. The game itself doesn't appear to be retina which is okay by me.

16. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    Brilliant!

Now Silent Hill 2&3, Vice City and a Bioshock game and I will be in ecstasy.

17. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #357 RebornProphet, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Wow.

The sentence read:

"A full 3D console GTA on my mobile phone. Insane. 10 years ago we were controlling a line pretending to be a snake as it ate dots."

Read it again. The main point, the part before the first full stop, says that we are now playing a full 3D console game on a mobile phone. The second part, after the full stop, but a clear continuation of the point being made, states that 10 years ago we were playing Snake. I wasn't talking about console gaming 10 years ago or gaming in general.

18. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Slightly off topic, but why do Android device manufacturers go for such ridiculous names? Are they trying to "tune in" to the late 20/early 30's blokes who fondly remember the days of Transformers G1?

19. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    The only time GTA3 lags on my iPhone 4 is when the train to work pops out from one tunnel and the cellular signal returns, which is the case with any game. As the phone starts to receive it's cell signal, games stutter for 5 seconds or so.

I've played the game for two hours non stop on my 4 and it runs smoothly at all times, and that's with Infinity Blade 2 and Sonic CD sitting in the app tray, along with Messages, Safari, Phone, Facebook, and Settings.

20. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Thank God, I thought I was going mad!!!! :D