I bought an Android bc I wanted a new iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Chocolate, May 1, 2012.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    So yeah, I've been wanting an updated iPod Touch since last year, but Apple passed on updating the hardware.

My eyes are not so good, so mainly I've been wanting a Touch with a bigger screen. Then I noticed the Samsung Players, which are basically Android versions of the iPod Touch. Basically, for about $200 I got a 40GB (8GB internal plus a 32GB microSD) player with 4" screen. A 5" version is also available, but the 4" has a better quality display.

It's pretty cool. In some ways it's better than the 4th gen Touch. The microSD slot for example, and the bigger screen is really nice. It also has vibration, and an FM radio, and GPS. Nice features. Android is also really nice -- I love how you can customize the UI. It's much better than iOS in that respect. Much, much better.

I miss the app selection on iOS of course, and honestly if Apple does release an improved Touch with a bigger screen (~4.3" would be awfully nice) I would consider going back to iOS.

But I wonder if Apple will discontinue the Touch? They don't seem very interested in it anymore.

2. Mcelotto

Mcelotto Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Well it all depends on what you use your IPod touch or galaxy player for. I am pretty certain you dont need it because it can make calls so i have to ask, why not get a ps vita? Enjoy larger screen, richer games or even cheap mini games, netflix, and other addons ? To me, switching from IOS to android is a step down. Last i heard ipod 4th gen is still capable of handling every application on apps store.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    #3 Balu`, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    That reasoning is sort of like "My doughnut was getting a bit dry, so instead of waiting for a new batch at the store, I got myself a piece of shit. Yummy!". Not the best analogy, but you get my point.

Anyway, I sure hope a new genetation of the Touch will be announced this fall.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #4 Teknikal, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    I think apples done with the Touch in honesty I think it was getting very weak upgrades even when it was selling.

I'll not be replacing mine either way as it seems to have a habit of messing up my music since IOS 5, it can work fine for months and then it just starts skipping the tracks like they aren't on it but still quickly flashing the album art.

When this happens I have to waste about 3 hours taking all the music off and putting it back on so it's not even a good mp3 player these days.

I think I'll probably go the galaxy range myself or get a nice cowon player, I already have a Vita I'm very happy with for games my xbox isn't even getting a look lately.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's not skipping songs - that's a problem with the album artworks, which have been partially broken since iOS 5.
    Basically it can't decide what to choose quickly enough, especially if you have many songs (or NOT many, if you're a music aficionado).

I think they have to update it soon - as the iPod is their entry item into Apple. Like that first joint you sneak with a mate behind a dumpster.
    I mean, uh.... what?

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Galaxy range? What the hell is wrong with you people? I mean seriously, if you want an Android-based player, the Sony nwz-z1050 looks way better.

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'd honestly take Samsung over Sony every time except when it comes to ereaders or consoles. Would be much better supported as well when it came to apps Sony just isn't a big player in the market.

8. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Well, two replies here.

A: Why do you prefer Samsung? I'm honestly curious.

B: It comes down to more than just brand preference here, I think. The Sony costs $280, while the Samsung costs $230 (for the 4" one), however the CPU is far superior in the Sony: a Tegra 2 (2x1Ghz) compared to a Hummingbird (1x1Ghz), and we both know how much Android needs powerful hardware. It is also a well-known fact that Sony has quite a bit more experience with portable music players, and is able to add that technology and a quick search tells me that the Walkman indeed sounds better. The only downside of the Sony model is the slightly higher price point and the fact that it's memory isn't expandable.

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Everything I own that's Samsung seems to last and be of good quality, I've got a Samsung NF110 Netbook which still give me ten hours battery even a year or so later, Microwave, TV, Camera.
    I guess I just trust them as a brand (Most Sony divisions not so much in honesty).

Samsung has dual core in the player as well it isn't single core so Sony has no advantage.

Cowon sounds a lot better than them both if you are going purely on Sound quality, I have an old Samsung mp3 player as well the YP-Z5 (just checked) and it always sounded better than my iPod so Samsung isn't bad there either.

10. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I used to own a Samsung phone and I think it was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. It felt very cheap and poorly constructed and it had a bad user interface so it was a total bitch to get it to do what you want. I ended up attaching it to a rocket and sending it up a few hundred feet up into the air, just for the lols.

I kept my previous phone (Motorola SLVR) which still works fine to this day and is much better constructed than my Samsung was before it got smashed to bits when it fell back down to earth.

To be fair though, the Samsung was pre-android. I guess they have probably changed quite a bit since then.
    I still don't trust them.

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I trust Samsung too, except for phones and similar devices. I haven't heard of many people having a good experience with them (except for their support, I hear that's excellent).

Sorry, I didn't see this one - I just check the one OP bouht. Anyway, this is more expensive than the Sony one, so Sony advantage there.

Yeah, but dedicated MP3 players tend to sound better, than Android devices (for any brand I know). But if I only wanted a device for listening music, I'd get a Sansa Clip with a 32 gig card for less than $100. >.<

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Truthfully I think I'm most likely to go with whatever the newest cowon player is when my ipod battery dies, they actually do have a few android ones now although even their normal players can play pretty much everything anyway.

If I had to replace it today I'd go for the Cowon Z2 but I admit it's pricey.

13. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    That one looks pretty good. I'm thinking about what to do when my Touch's battery becomes too bad to use too. I'm leaning towards getting a cheap, but quality MP3 player plus using my phone for the other multimedia stuff. I'm hoping the battery will last some more time, though.

14. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    ROFL

well put!!

:D

15. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm bringing this thread up a month late, but I'm in the same boat as well. I actually ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-G70CWY/XAA) for the large screen, customizable UI, GPS, better camera + flash and FM Radio. Gaming isn't as big for me since I can play most iOS games I want on my iPad 2 or my Vita.

I love the screen size of the Samsung, that was honestly one of the biggest selling points for me. Maybe it's because of the Vita Screen size, but the iPod Touch just feels so cramped to me now.

This will be my first foray into Android territory, but I like to tinker and I think Android will allow that. Plus, I always have my iPod Touch/iPad to fall back to if things go awry.

@Chocolate - How are you liking your Android, it's been a month and I wanted to see what you felt about it. Any big likes/dislikes?

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #16 Teknikal, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Interesting you brought the thread back I also bought a Samsung Android device about a week ago, I went for the Galaxy S Advance, it's dual core 1ghz, Super Amoled, Mali GPU, GPS etc.

Really impressed with it after the iPod it's much faster and I have to admit I'm still constantly playing with it a week later it's a brilliant device I've already replaced most of my iPod Apps including things like Air Video.
    Still have to do a few things like get myself a big Micro SD card but I was reading the app PowerAmp can actually makes it sound as good as a Cowon so if your using the players for mainly audio that's something to bear in mind.

I was quite close to buying a galaxy player myself but I needed a new phone anyway and really liked the idea of having internet everywhere although that isn't working as well as I hoped as my workplace building kills signals as soon as you walk in the door but everywhere else it seems as fast as my cable.

17. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    well, sort of. it can play most games, but only with a pretty significant downgrade in graphics compared to the 4/4S, ipad 2/new ipad, etc, long load times- for example, infinity blade 2 requires around a 25 second load compared to 5-ish seconds on the 4S, lag(not just in apps, even on the home screen), and occasional crashes. I really wish they upgrade it this year because it seriously needs it..

MAYBE it's my own ipod's problem....but mine is a 32 gb model, around halfway full, purchased a month or 2 after it was announced/released, updated to current OS 5.1.1, and yes, i have restored it -several times- to see if it would make a difference. so i don't see how that's the case :p

18. MicroByte

That's cool and a funny coincidence as well! I was really impressed with how much you could do to the UI and love the concept of having widgets on pages as well. I like to tinker with presentation so I could probably spend a lot of time seeing how much I can change the look and personalize the icon screens.

Any opinion on rooting devices? I need to read up more on what the pros/cons are, but read in another forum that it was the way to go. Seems similar to those that say Jailbreaking is the way to go, but I never really found a need to do that.

19. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland

No clue about rooting so far to be honest but I have been able to do everything I've tried so far without it.

I spent a lot of time messing with my homescreens as well I love the Live wallpaper when I showed a friend the moving wallpaper with fish swimming about he started to claim his 4s did that and I had to remind him I've an iPod on the latest IOS and I knew it didn't.

Widgets are pretty cool the only downside I've found with customising so far is making folders is quite a lengthy process having to add each thing separately but I could be missing something as I'm just experimenting.

20. MicroByte

Cool, thanks for sharing that. Do you know what launcher you are using? I'm reading more about customization and it seems for apply theme's, Go launcher EX seems like it has a lot to offer. Guess I'll see when mine comes in.