Apps which let you develop your own basic games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aussie2, May 25, 2010.

1. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Are there any apps which allow you to do this? If not, would it work? I thought it could function a bit like a level editor where there are lots of features to create a game and people could upload their own artwork, you could then upload your mini game to a network. And possibly sell it if that would be possible

2. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Sketch Nation Shooter is the only thing that comes to mind.

If you're looking to get into development, there are toolkits available, such as GameSalad, which allow you to make your own apps in a much more simplified environment, but you need a developer account and they all charge licensing fees as well.

3. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Yeah Sketch Nation Shooter is pretty cool.
    I'd recommend getting Sketchbook MobileX to go along with it (it's free) and you can end up making some pretty sweet games.

4. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
    Sketch nation shooter looks good but it looks kind of pointless without facebook, which I don't use

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    About GameSalad: I beg you to not use GameSalad, unless you want your game to turn out like utter crap.

That is all :cool:

6. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Indeed, it's terrible. But it's the cheapest and easiest to use framework, and the only one (I think) which requires absolutely no knowledge of how to program.

7. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Gamesalad looks alright but there is no windows version, so does anyone know of any similar toolkits that run on windows?

8. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I don't think you are going to be able to create much for apps using Windows. Unfortunately (as I prefer Windows myself). But maybe things have changed lol:rolleyes: