Questions/Advice on next version of app/game I am developing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jychong, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jychong

jychong Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hey guys,
    I am about to release the first version of my new entertainment app soon:

http://www.troodonproductions.net/ArtPets/

It's slated for release sometime early next year. In the meantime, I am drawing up suggestions for the next version. I plan to make it as some sort of pet game, possibly with little pet minigames you can play with your designed pet. My questions are:

1) Do players/users prefer a bigger focus on customizing the looks of your pets

2) Or a bigger focus on pet minigames/interaction?

Your responses will be very helpful in shaping the next iteration of the app. Thanks for taking your time in reading this post! Happy 2011!

2. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    IMO, customization is great, but it can only go so far.
    The minigames and interaction with the pets will be what keeps people coming back for more.

3. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for the reply! I suppose interesting mini games as opposed to the farmville type grind is what you would prefer?

4. That looks like a very good customization tool but what is there to DO once you have created your pet?

Adding in interactive environments ala Pocket God style may be a good move.

Pet tournaments.
    Competitions.
    Rare pet items.
    That kind of thing.

5. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    You are correct. Right now, you can put your creatures in a virtual home and watch them roam around. I am looking for suggestions to improve on it and your advice is very helpful. I will look into implementing a couple of them for the next release...

6. I keep an eye on apps that I know are going to be at least decent.
    My eye is on this one.
    Keep it up :)

7. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for the reply! Due to time constraints, I am going to release the first version without the minigames. As of right now, it will be released as a creature creation app with virtual creature homes for your pets to live in.
    However, I will begin working on the 2nd release with mini games in 1 month or so. I'll keep you guys posted on the details...

8. iPlayer3000

iPlayer3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    mini-games

Honestly the more mini-games you add , the higher the replay value. I would say try to pack 6-7 mini games and you will have a fun solid game.

9. The mini games shouldn't be repetitive or boring though.
    They should have some sort of reward for completing them, something that will keep you coming back for more. There are Psychological tricks you can use for this sort of thing including the reward effect.