Ark of the Ages, published by XSEED

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by josue85, Mar 1, 2013.

1. josue85

josue85 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    #1 josue85, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Edit: I've added my review down below based on about 30 minutes of playing it. tl;dr version: It sucks...

New first person RPG game Ark of the Ages is on google play now (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xseedmarketing.arkoftheages). I'm downloading as we speak. I'll post impressions after I've given the game a run through.

If XSEED sounds familiar, they are known for publishing a ton of JRPGs to the west. This is the first time I've seen them publish on a mobile platform, but the fact that they did makes me think they'll be bringing more. XSEED games are usually great, so I had no problem putting my 2 bucks down without seeing any reviews.

[​IMG]

2. shanepaw

shanepaw Active Member

Nov 9, 2012
    graphic wise its kinda okay.. wish I could have seen clearly the character though. I really wish there will a rpg that will show distinct character change due to their armors, kinda like in aralon.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looks interesting but very mixed reviews on the store. Would love to hear impressions if anyone here grabs it.

4. siegfred

siegfred New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Looks like a very interesting game to play. I play RPG and adventure games more often.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Wish it would come to iOS

6. josue85

josue85 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    I was finally able to play this game. The app was hanging on startup because it could not login into GREE. I had to install GREE as a stand alone app (something I'm loathe to do) before the damn game would startup.

After starting off on the wrong foot, I was greeted with a paragraph of "story" and dropped into a static screen with options to "Explore", "Quests", "Inn" and so on. I entered the quest sub menu and saw that they didn't bother to get original with their quest system. Fetch quests and even more fetch quests (and if you get tired of those, there are some fetch quests to keep you interested).

Well, story was obviously not going to be the hook for this game, so I entered the dungeon. There, you see your hero in a 3rd person view, and you wander a generic looking dungeon. There are glowing orbs which represent enemies that rush at you when you get close, and this takes you into the first person battle system. This works like a scaled down version of Infinity blade. You swipe the hell out of your screen until the enemy goes into an attack animation, which you block by putting two fingers on the screen. I've played for half an hour, and so far that's the extent of the battle system. It may get more complicated (and hopefully more fun) later in the game, but I don't intend to find out.

I was bored to tears playing this game. Having to install GREE to play it was just salt in the wound. If you are an avid dungeon crawler and really enjoy grinding and doing fetch quests, you may find some redeeming qualities here. For the rest of you, don't buy this game