iOS RPG List

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Jan 15, 2012.

1. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Every few months I read of another Aralon-style game, but I have yet to see any of them released. Going by ones I've added on Google+ there are:

Ortus (not sure what platform though)
    Ravensword 2 (no news since March though)
    The Shadow Sun (last news June 2011 when it was pushed back to Autumn 2011)

Spiderweb Software will likely continue to keep porting to iOS as well as developing for it (eg the new Avadon series) so that's something great to look forward to. iPad only though not iPhone :(

2. Optimus Dime

Optimus Dime Active Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Does GTA III count? It plays just like the original. I promise. But the is no blood baths for iPod.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    That boldest part made me smile. I'm guessing (call it intuition) that you are familiar with the mostly-defunct website Home Of The Underdogs, which, during it's actively maintained stage was one of the greatest websites ever.

They had a game listed there but never a download link; I think it was somehow available directly from the publisher. I desperately wanted to try it out but never had a chance.

Fast forward a decade, maybe more...what do I see on the AppStore? The very game I had wanted to play for a decade (probably more) and NEVER forgot about...King of Dragon Pass :)

4. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    King of Dragon Pass is sooooo next on my major iTunes purchase list. Along with Starbase Orion.

Also, does anyone here have Alternate Reality (either one)? I am really tempted to hit 'buy', but I am thinking that the letter boxed game screen (due to the virtual kepboard) would be made of myopia.

5. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Oh yes! I remember that site, and trying to get different old bits of abandonware to work. It was there (or similar) that I finally managed to replay and complete Heroes of Khan, fondly remembered from my Amstrad CPC-464. Back then there was no way to get a walkthrough/cheats/help, and for years it haunted me, then over a decade or so later the internet finally brings it all together for me ;)

I now have to check out King of Dragon Pass. From Appshopper it looks most like an interactive gamebook - would that be correct?

I've just started a mini-overhaul of my site, adding short descriptions under each game name. I figured it would save someone the effort of clicking through if they hate all KRPGs, or be an extra alert if they do like JRPGs, or whatever.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    RPG website

Istara, I am loving your website! Thanks for the hard work. I'd love to see King of Dragon Pass and Dragon's Odyssey: Frane on there. Keep up the great work.

7. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Thank you! I have just finished the latest overhaul adding short descriptions below each game title (more extensive information is there if you click, it just saves you wasting a click eg if you hate all MMORPGs) which took many more hours than I thought it would. I also had to remind myself what a hell of a lot of games were, as well as update some of the game pages, etc for games that have been withdrawn.

I will take a look at those games the next chance I get!

I'm now thinking of putting on an "upcoming" games page for the fun of it. I should probably get a big "ABANDONED" graphic ready, given the amount of exciting titles promised that never materialise.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    New additions:
    Judge Dread: Countdown Sector 106 - gamebook
    Oyayubi Quest – typing / rpg hybrid
    DungeonSweeper – minesweeper / RPG hybrid
    ORC: Vengeance – hack ‘n slash?
    Dragon Town – puzzle / RPG hybrid
    Dungeon Defiler – “dungeon crawler”
    The Goblin Forest – gamebook
    Zebulon – gamebook
    Vampire Boyfriends – a gamebook (technically RPG, I think)

Also I am marking the Fighting Fantasy games and pulled/dead due to the end of their licensing deal; I understand the Fighting Fantasy games will go to TinMan (Gamebook Adventures people) so they will probably re-appear.
    Go for it, there's a lot of interesting upcoming titles that are fun to browse even if they never come to be. My attempt at an upcoming list here has been a lot of fun; but also the hardest part to keep updated.
    Grand Theft Auto III for iOS is an impressive feat but not technically a role playing game.

9. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Great - it's up! Though I'm already fearful that Shadow Sun has been abandoned which is a shame because it looked utterly brilliant and so original. I guess the game journalist in me should try and email the devs of some of these games.

I've also created a new twitter account - @rpg_site - to solely focus on iOS RPG update. One of the things it should also do, assuming ifttt.com does its magic, is tweet every new RPG update that TouchArcade posts. So feel free to subscribe if that would be useful to you. I made it solely for my own benefit, to alert myself of new RPGs (I also set up an email alert which emails me every TouchArcade RPG update).

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looks great, where did Five Evil Books and Ortus come from? I can't wait for those.
    Nice, just when I thought I was getting away from my Twitter problem.

11. firestream

firestream Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Developer
    Been a while since I updated this thread.

iOSRPG.com has had some system updates, including Price List features to make it easier to find and filter out games. Site's been getting 400-500 visitors per day! Many people have been submitting games to the system also.

TWITTER: Follow us for price updates and GOTD! @iosrpg

iPHONE APP: Submitted and waiting for approval :)

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    You've made an iOSRPG app?!?

That's awesome! So glad there are so many other iOS RPG lovers out there to warrant an app. Sometimes I feel like a little nerd, gaming all by myself.

13. firestream

firestream Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Developer
    Yeah I figured I'd get something in the app store to help people find good RPGs for iOS. It uses the data I've collected on the site. I've got another version ready to go once I'm approved that adds searching by tag and some better layout features.

Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #114 undeadcow, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Please comment with any omissions or RPG recommendations.

Newer RPG style games of interest yet to be added to main list:

Final Fantasy Dimensions - JRPG
    Dragon Island Blue - monster collecting with world exploration
    Bastion - iPad only action RPG
    Dwarf Quest - third person dungeon crawler
    DotQuestEn - JRPG
    Arenas, Trail of Valor - TBS? (maybe be online only?)
    The World Ends With You - SquareEnix side scrolling
    Lord of the Roads - arcade style Fingershot RPG spin-off
    Three Hero - casual side scrolling action RPG
    Angel's Glory - iPad only card based game that rips off Heroes Blade.
    SolitaireRPG - RPG solitaire hybrid
    Tower of the Sorcerers - puzzle RPG hybrid?
    Warheads: Battle - freemium Battlheart clone
    Drakerider - SquareEnix freemium dragon riding
    Epic Angel - arcade style?

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Strange that no one has started a thread for this yet. Reviews look decent.

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's surprising how many quality games go under the radar. You should start a thread.

17. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    I'm a huge rpg fan. Thank you for making this list, I found a lot of hidden gems because of this thread.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #118 undeadcow, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    New releases not yet added to list:

Lunar Silver Star Story - JRPG
    Forest Guardians - tower defense RPG hybrid
    Super Coo - side scrolling action (not sure if it's really RPG?)
    Dungeon Blade S2 - action/RPG
    Three Hero - side scrolling free-to-play

Also need to double check if Angel Salvation is listed, puzzle RPG. Also Epic Hearts, KRPG, and Another Castle, roguelike/platformer, should go to upcoming along with Small Chronicles, SRPG.

...plus Vay is free for now.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #119 undeadcow, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Things have been quit lately for iOS RPGs but here are some newer releases...

Legend of Master 3 - krpg
    FlyHight Cloudia - jrpg
    DemonSouls - krpg
    Sage Fusion - jrpg
    Knights of Pen and Paper - jrpg style turn based combat, open world
    Dragon Knight 4 - krpg
    Puzzle & Dragons - puzzle RPG

Edit: Also (thanks to chubbypillow)...
    Epic Hearts - KRPG

20. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    EPICHEARTS... the best looking hack n slash RPG in the appstore. Most fun i've ever had since Secret of Mana for the SNES