OpenFeint 2.4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tmcaffeine, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tmcaffeine

tmcaffeine Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    What's everyone's thoughts on the new OpenFeint?

I think almost everything is perfect now except for the in-game notifiers... They look really plain compared to the last version's black ones. They need some kind of texture rather than plain gray.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  3. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
  4. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah but the new 2.4 is really cool. And about 8 games have it that I know of now. Seeing who is online and chatting with people is awesome.

5. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Personally I prefer the look of the older open feint, it had a bit more of a gritty texture to it, now it looks kina plain.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I like the buttons from the prior version better.

Also not fond of the scrolling text at the top.

Also also liked the primary "Enable OF" screen better in the prior version.

Otherwise, it seems a bit snappier, which is good. I don't use it much except for achievements, so it didn't really change things for me.

And I'll say it again, I am perfectly happy with the OF logo on the game icon, but use the loose circular logo instead of the filled in corner logo, I never liked the look of that one. :eek:

7. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    I like it when the logo is on the App Store icon, but not when it's on my device. Its still not too big of a deal though. If it bothers someone they can just change the icon themselves, its really not that hard.

Yeah, I love the IM feature. It looks and works great.

8. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    What games have.2.4?

9. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #9 Zincous, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    A Snake, Mindblender Quiz, Fieldrunners, MiniSqaudron, Sniper Strike / Lite, MiniGore, Time Bomb, and Traffic Cap so far that I know of.

Edit: Actually there are a few other I saw on appshopper update to 2.4 but I don't have them and forgot their names. But these I listed are most of them available right now.

10. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Still a terrible interface, in my opinion.

• Way too much padding in the interface - it is ugly and wastes space, and there is no excuse for it anymore
    • Hideous scrolling text at the top
    • Icons are boring and non-descriptive
    • Ad banner for Fieldrunners, even though the service knows I already own it
    • Laggy interface that requires loading whenever tabs are switched
    • Top bar keeps hiding and showing itself in a distracting and unnecessary way whenever tabs are switched
    • Achievements only load a few at a time, requiring multiple presses of the "Load 25 More" button

Let me put it like this: Open Feint has been out for over a year now, and has undergone 3 or 4 major revisions, and it is pretty pathetic that this is the best they have.

I don't like to say this phrase very often, but in this case, I truly believe it justified: I could design a better interface than this mess.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Do it and see if OF likes it ;)

12. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Does Plus+ have chat? No
    Does Plus+ tell you when your friends are online? No
    Leaderboards by distance? Nope
    Facebook and twitter integration? Don't think so

Both Services are lacking things and have room for improvement. You can't say one is THAT much better than the other any more.

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Plus+ tells you your online during Eliminate if that counts? :rolleyes:

I like the 2.4 a lot. I still am not able to use my facebook profile pic though. Have tried everything i know. No biggie anymore now that i can use whats in my pictures library on my iTouch.

I cant wait to be able to organized/delete games i dont play/deleted and i am pretty much set!

14. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah and it has chat. But neither of those are Plus+ features.

Like in Fieldrunners it tracks your progress until your about to unlock an achievement in OpenFeint with "5677/100,000" type thing. But it's not an OpenFeint feature.

15. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Uggles has 2.4 (the non christmas one). and i like it so much more, no more bland user pic :D ahah but now all i need is friends :(

16. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I don't recall mentioning Plus+, or making any comparison between the two whatsoever in the post you quoted. Not sure what you were reading, or even what you're replying to.

Since you did made a comparison, I'll reply to that.

Plus+ doesn't have any form of chatting or messaging service, which is a huge omission. While chat rooms aren't necessary, Plus+ really should have had a private messaging system by now. The fact that it still doesn't is a mistake.

I couldn't give a damn when my friends are online, but it might be a nice feature to have as an option. Just let me disable my own online status.

Leaderboards by distance sounds more like a gimmick than anything really useful. Global leaderboards and friends-list leaderboards are the important ones.

Facebook and Twitter aren't implemented in Plus+, but they are implemented separately in several Plus+ games. The implementation of these features in Open Feint is pretty shallow, though. I don't think anyone has yet figured out how to really take advantage of these services.

Anyways, both services have their strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion, everything Plus+ does, it does better than Open Feint. The point of contention is that it doesn't do nearly as much as Open Feint. Plus+ seems to have stagnated, without any major updates in a long time. Open Feint keeps getting updated, but the updates seem mostly to be adding pointless features like location-based leaderboards and switching one ugly and slow interface for another.

Frankly, I wish both were doing more.

17. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    OpenFeint is implementing a way to track progress towards an achievement.