iPod touch and iphone apps on ipad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mondae, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    This is a thread for discussion of how apps play and feel when taken from regular apps and doubled to ipad screen size. Such as regular minigore or doodle jump or whatever apps you scale up.:)

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    You can do that?

3. ChrisMayer

ChrisMayer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Developer / Designer
    Chichester, UK
    the only issue i see will be on-screen controls (virtual d-pad etc) as the ipad's screen has a bigger border, plus even at 2x zoom there's a black border around the upscaled app.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I played Isotope and the controls were perfect, sized OK and game play was just like on the iPhone. It was just HUGE! There is a reasonable amount of jaggies, but still was very acceptable. I actually tried briefly a number of iPhone games that were 2X and all of them were actually OK. Again, some jaggies, but no issues for me that made playing no good.

However - the games specifically designed for the iPad- graphically it is like comparing your old TV to an HD screen - everything is so clear, colors pop - the iPhone just does not hold a candle to them. But, the iPhone is much more portable to me. I will get some select titles for iPad but will still probably use the iPhone for casual gaming...

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I would assume that black border that's left after the upscaling is just because the screen ratio on the iPhone/iPod touch is 16:9 whereas the iPad is 4:3. They appear that way, anyways.

I had a question about the pixel doubling: Does it make the games look really bad? Or does it actually manage to make them look quite a bit nicer than you would expect an app blown up twice its size to look?