A new RPG Quest - IN DEVELOPMENT

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lendo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. lendo

lendo Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi guys,

My team and I are working diligently on an old school Gameboy themed RPG for the iPhone. The game engine is almost complete, aside from minor details that we still haven't decided upon. That's where you come in - what do you want to see in the next major RPG development for the iPhone?

I'm trying to incorporate the best aspects of great RPGs like Pokemon, Dragon Quest, and Runescape (along with some really cool new ideas) into a fun, unique gaming experience with hopefully tens of hours of meaningful gameplay.

Let me know what YOU want to play on your iPhone and we'll make it happen. Thanks!

2. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I can think of some very specific things I'd want (and don't want):

• Balanced leveling that doesn't lean toward heavy grinding.
    • An actual story -- doesn't have to be serious -- as a matter of fact, Dragon Quest is my favorite RPG series.
    • Chests, rather than loot.
    • Keep any possible IAP out of my gameplay -- I don't want to pay extra to make the game "work."
    • Make it a paid game priced where both you and I get equal value.
    • Give me some replay -- extra quests, perhaps a weekly thing.
    • Keep the file size moderate -- nothing over 200MB installed please.
    • iOS offers a touch interface -- let me utilize it, rather than rely on virtual controls. Be creative with your battle system.
    • Achievements that aren't ridiculous but require you to dig a little bit deeper into the game and reward you with actual content that can be used within the game.
    • Polished presentation, visuals and sound. Polish, polish, polish...then go back and polish some more -- I'll gladly pay you extra for it.

I could probably come up with more, but I'll let someone else get a word in edgewise. :p

3. SamF1sh

SamF1sh Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    New Zealand
    It would be 2d, as it is based on old game boy games.

4. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    #4 scottyd2k9, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    I would actually like a serious story to be honest.

Something to do with time travel or parallel dimention elements with different settings. Probably wont happen but i love anything to do with time travel or something with alternate realities in.

I would like to see some sort of transport in the game, i dont know something like in pokemon. You can go on a boat/ferry or something like a train or tram.

I would rather have a D-pad control that we can see, dont like how in most games you touch to were you wanna go, that's annoying. :D

I would like something to do with the weather like some parts of the game it could be snowing or raining, sunny, storm, stuff like that.

One final thing. I would rather pay full price for a good polished game rather than paying for the game then having to pay for IAP aswell, gets annoying an most games that use IAP i dont play nomore. No one likes having to pay IAP after they have bought the game.

Dont care about the file size or price

5. Rumand

Rumand Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I would like to see something with turn based combat that has a timing aspect to it. And where you see the enemy's before you engage them so you can try for sneak attacks.

I've always wanted something along the lines of Mario and luigi superstar sega on my iPod. Saturday morning rpg pulls it off sorta but I hate the art style of that game.

Plus puzzles are good in RPGs.

6. lendo

lendo Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of different ideas - some of them contrasting. One thing people seem to agree on is that I need to get in-app purchases out of the way. As of now, the app design will not support iAP, and if it ever does, iAP will not unlock anything that can't be unlocked by playing the game.

As for the gameplay - sorry sidGoku, this first RPG will be turn based. We're incorporating some cool exploration animations and a great storyline/overall gameplay to make up for it.

The transport is a good idea - we still haven't decided how exactly it will work, but most likely it will rely on certain "portals" that can take you to other portals scattered throughout the world.

What does everyone think of an EXP based self improvement system that relies heavily on better items: i.e. items can make a bigger difference on your capabilities than your level (assuming there are no iAP.)

Also, how would you most like to see "leveling up" get implemented in an RPG?

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't like the emphasis on items being more important than level. Leveling up is contingent on a clear pattern with expectations but item based might feel too random. Also, item based play might decrease replay because you'd be likely to get the same items in the same places so less variability.

One important thing that is hinted at with your item emohasis thought is to reward exploration by having elusive items or a harder challenge dungeon. Considdee the environmental puzzles in Final Fantasy 1 or the good versus bad settings of Zelda, even Chrono Trigger gaves you much to explore.

Avoid traditional settings and go for something novel (as in Earthbound).

Respectfully, I'll believe this is a viable project when I see screenshots or concept art. Any idea on a title? What direction do you have with this game?

8. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    i would like to see non turned based combat personally. i don't know if you want to do a monster capture game like pokemon but if you do then it must be storyline driven and not mission based and the monsters should look similar to pokemon and have the same art style(other styles don't work out as well). obviously if it was a monster capture game it would be turn based but those are always fun anyways.

traveling a "world" would be pretty cool. a game for possible inspiration is heroes lore 3 it was one of my favorite rpgs on the appstore. i perfer 2d games on the appstore because they give you better viewing on the small screen and they usually take less time to make. side quests are a big yes. make the game last because some games you can finish in a couple of hours.

9. lendo

lendo Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #9 lendo, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    @sidGoku: I think a good storyline is key to replicating the charm of old Gameboy games. The current theme/ premise of the story is that you are a young warrior living in a village that made peace with the "monster" kingdom (name tbd) in the mountains north of your village. However, scouts and villagers have gone missing and the "monsters" are on the move, breaking the longstanding peace treaty, and now even the best warrior in the village is nowhere to be found. You are the village's last chance, so you embark on a quest to find the "Monster King" and fight him or something. Also, there's a twist that I won't reveal. The name of the game will likely have the "Hero" or "Quest" incorporated into something more clever.

@itouchbd: We have considered "monster catching" games - those are really the best RPGs, but for starters it will be based just on improving yourself (your "hero" character.) A sequel could likely feature monster catching however...

@undeadcow: I see your concern, but our current design would eliminate some of that variability by making it more gold-based, with a large variety of items easily available for purchase with the gold. As for your other comment, I will certainly post screenshots when I am actually trying to sell you something. This is very early in development, hence this thread. We still have a lot of actual gameplay to decide before designing the levels (which won't take long) and ordering animations (which will take a bit longer.) A current estimated release date is mid-September.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking forward to more details. Not a fan of monster collection "RPG"s so this sounds right up my alley. Good luck.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    :eek: This is your actual belief, and you want to make an RPG?

12. lendo

lendo Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    You must have missed the Pokemon phase... although it was actually Dragon Warrior Monsters that I was implying as a great game.

Regardless, this will be a hero improvement style of game. All the input has really helped. I'll keep checking this thread for reference so feel free to post any more ideas/opinions.

13. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    What I love in a leveling system is different stats leveling up at different times as you use them. I'll use Runescape as an example - using one move levels up Attack, and a different one levels up Strength. That kind of stuff is really cool and lets you add a lot of customization to your character.

14. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Keeping my eye on this...

I think I may be in the minority here, but I actually like turn based battles (though, the action-y or time based ones from Valkyrie Profile or Grandia really appeal to me), I like to level/grind and I usually don't get into RPG's for the story.

Though, about story - some of my favorite rpg's had a strong main path/story in the game with plenty of room for gamers who want to explore and level up (like me!).

That being said, I would like to see an imaginative world and imaginative bestiary, with memorable animations for the monsters (like Akira Toriyama-san's DQ work).

GeekyDad mentioned a small file size - I agree :)

I also like the idea of a one time fee for the game - i.e. no IAPs... I know you already addressed that, just wanted to chime in :) Buuut, I would be willing to pay for 'expansions'.

You also mentioned how we would like to see leveling implimented. A couple of things: one of the other posters mentioned that the actual numerical level would be more important than the gear equiped. I pretty much feel the same - it seems like a lot of rpg's have done away with the importance of the players numerical level in favor of gear/skill trees/etc.. And while I like those systems I like them to work hand in hand with gaining exp that leads to a level increase that awards skill points that the player distributes.

I know that was a lot of info, but I love rpg's and could talk for a while about them. I am REALLY interested to see how your game shapes up. Good luck! :)

15. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Totally new idea?

My biggest desire is to have a party-building RPG based on a detective team like the TV show The Shift, where players would have to investigate crime scenes, find treasures (or evidence), defeat criminals, build up the detective shift and department with gear and building materials, upgrade gear and weapons, use turn-based combat system for crime scenes and maybe a few action combat parts thrown in like car chases and shoot-outs.

Think final fantasy meets tiny tower meets broken sword meets jet pack joyride, but based on detectives... And done in 16-bit graphics.

Could be a fantasy setting, future setting, Sherlock Holmes setting, or just modern day setting.

Hope some of these ideas help!

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #16 eev, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    jinn: your wish?
    person: peace in the whole world!
    jinn: it's probably impossible.
    person: well then make people stop using f term rpg for every game.
    jinn: hmmmm, what was your first wish again?
    :D

17. lendo

lendo Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    You brought up a few great points. The artwork will indeed have a similar feel to DQ, although improved appropriately to match the increased processing power of the iPhone (such as animated water and landscapes.)

You will be very pleased with the way we are currently implementing leveling up - I'll save it as a surprise, but you as the player will have significant control of which "direction" your character grows and items will largely be based on proportions of your skill levels, rather than as additive bonuses.

18. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sounds awesome!

Thank you! I am REALLY looking forward to this - good luck!!

19. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    i think a runescape type gameplay would be really cool i used to play it years ago and the leveling and having more than one thing to do was great because you didn't have to do x y and z and you could explore. the skills were great too.

20. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I would love it to be top down. I personally enjoy cheesy romance in my RPGs. Different classes, hopefully one who uses a sword and shield. A good story. I hate IAP I would much rather buy the ge than do IAPs. That's all from me, good luck ;)