Should games be ranked in the App Store based on how addictive they are?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Dec 7, 2011.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    For example, you could have a game ranking based on how often they are played per user on average.

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Nah because games like The Bard's Tale, King of Dragon Pass, etc. probably wouldn't have a chance based on the AppStore's vast casual audience.

3. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    You could have multiple rankings, one of which is based on how addictive the game is.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Since when is "Addiction" a good thing?

And this would be pretty terrible, IMO. I leave my iPhone running a certain game all the time - doesn't mean I play it.

5. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hmm...I'd rather a a really good premium section get set up first!

6. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    There is no way to accurately measure a game's "addictiveness". Definitely not something that should be brought to the App Store.

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I didn't want to be the crazy one. But it would probably just be Apple propaganda.

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    They should atleast let you see the list by rating... Others would be cool too, with so many games there needs to be more ways to show them all.

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    You know what games should be ranked by? Awesomeness. But since that will never happen, I couldn't care less how they are ranked.

10. Asstasticguy

Asstasticguy Active Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If you first of all could pull of that kind of feature well, and if you could search only among puzzle games, then it might be super sweet =)
    Or if not that, atleast it would be kinda interesting.

But there should be overall more ways to search among the games on the appstore, it often feels very limited

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    No no no. A quick puzzle game might be played much more than someone playing a huge RPG which they might play at certain times. If i've got a few minutes free i'll play a quick game rather than a long drawn out epic adventure

Plus just as you get fake reviews on the Appstore you would get fake 'addictive reviews' i'm sure on the app store

The problem also are the users. Check out the forum section below (Promo codes and contests) where users basically give out 5/5 reviews regardless of the game just as they can have a chance to win itunes vouchers etc.

They could release the worst ever game but some people will still give it 5/5 trying to win vouchers. Pathetic