Developing on windows?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SJP99, May 25, 2010.

1. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I have been thinking about possibly become an iPhone developer. I have heard that you need a mac to make iPhone apps.sadly, i have neither the intention or money to get a mac. Is there any way to develop apps on a windows machine?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Sort of, but you still need a Mac to publish even if you manage that. You can get a new Mac mini for $600 that will be plenty good enough, and you can get cheaper used machines if you look around (make sure they are capable of running the latest dev environment though).

--Eric

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Get a Mac. You won't look back.
    Seriously, there's not reason not to switch.

4. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    Have heard of a couple of people who are developing using virtualisation on Windows, but from what they've said, it's really not that stable.

All our devs have either Mac Minis or Macbook Pros.

5. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    It's possible, but to release it you must use a mac, I believe. However, it's not optimized for Windows, and all the books you'll find will be talking about it in context of a mac.

6. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I do a lot of my development on PC (probably about 75%) - I use a cross platform library to allow me to run the game transparently of the device its operating upon (it'll actually work on iPhone, Mac and Windows at present - could do more if I created project files for other platforms).

I'd recommend this approach if you're most familiar with developing under windows and not making a hugely graphically intensive game, the additional platforms which the game runs under often help 'shake' out obscure bugs and suchlike.

Add to this that the PC/Mac builds are FAR faster than the iPhone one which for some products increases the scope of iterative testing hugely.

7. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    Was specifically referring to people developing for iPhone on a PC, virtualising Snow Leopard and the Apple SDK. If you're developing cross-platform, then of course you'd need to use Windows for some other platforms SDKs (which we also do).

It seems that virtualising Windows on a Mac works better than the other way around, from what I've been told.

I do the game submissions via iTunes Connect rather than the developers and use a Mac for that.

8. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    I use the PC for them majority of my development. I only use the Mac for implementing device specific features like UIKit components, doing builds for the devices and submissions, and doing the final ZIP to submit the product.

The mac we use is a laptop, but we don't run virtualization. The main reasons I stick with the PC right now is that MS Dev Studio, for me, is a better environment and allows me to set up better conditions against memory leaks, etc. I also have a setup on my PC with a pimp 30" monitor and I also personally think the text editors are better on the PC.

Bear in mind, I'm more used to a PC so that is a good reason! If you want to do it, I recommend just using a PC (non-virtualized) when developing and switch to a Mac. I use source control to sync the code and haven't had any issues.

At the end of the day however, you will still need a Mac to do the builds.

9. Undercoders

Undercoders Well-Known Member

As it has been said, you can develop your games in other platforms, but you always have to take the final steps with MAC OS. Not sure if the SDK will work correctly under a virtualized one.

In our studio we all work with Linux and just compile the final builds and submit using a MAC mini (which is the most affordable one).

10. I used VM image for dev... But nothing stands close to the real Mac.
    I bought Mac and dev became 10 times faster then before.

And I love Xcode IDE, it's the best IDE I ever worked with, no studios or eclipses can match it. It's just fluent work and nothing else.

11. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Check your pc hardware for compatibility with osx86. If compatible you can setup a dual boot. There is plenty of tutorials outthere

12. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    does it cost money?

13. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    depends if you want the legal version of the mac OS

14. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    hmmmmm........interesting.

15. Undercoders

Undercoders Well-Known Member

AFAIK you can't install an original mac OS on a PC, so I think you have to use a hacked version even if you want to buy an original one.

16. DragonFireSDK

DragonFireSDK New Member

May 28, 2010
    You can use DragonFireSDK to create apps in Windows. There is no need for a mac and you can still send your apps to the App Store. All you need to know is the C/C++ code to use the program. People using this program have already published apps in the store so it does work. You can see some of the apps made on their site:

http://www.dragonfiresdk.com

17. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

There's a rumor about Windows having an iPhone publishing capability that will be premiered at the WWDC

18. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    I was looking on at that and i have started to get back on track learning c++ but its $50!!!! I dont have 50 dollars!!!

19. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Well it costs $99/yr to have the privilege of selling your app on the apple app store, you have to be willing to invest something...