most important aspect

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by starmonkey101, Nov 29, 2009.

?

what is the most important aspect to a game other than its funness

1. graphix

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. story line

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. replayability

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. amount of content

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. controls

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    just wondering... besides a game's funness, what is its most important aspect?
    :confused::confused::confused:

controls
    story line
    replayability
    amount of content
    graphix
    etc

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Honestly, the thing that holds me to a game the most is a good storyline. Without a decent story, unless the gameplay is insane or not based around a storyline (ex: Eliminate, Cod: Zombies, THPS 1-3) I'm usually less compelled to finish a game. Half the reason most of my favorite games (actually, all of them) have become my favorites was due to the fact that it combined awesome gameplay with a mind-blowing story. So if you can nail that and some decent gameplay, if it's not like an hour long, you've got an awesome game. Just take a look at most of the classics being remade for the iPhone. Most became so famous due to a combination of being awesome and having a great storyline (ex: Monkey Island, Steel Sky)

3. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    this does not make sense cause without good controls or replayability a game is not good

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Its really all of the above, besides how interesting, fun a game is Id have to say amount of content and controls.

5. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Professor Layton's gameplay was pretty boring yet the story made me play for hours on end. Although gameplay is good, a story is what makes you complete and stick to something, although will only make you play the game once or so.

6. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    I played that game,,, and I completely agree

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Story is least important to me, look at Bloons, 33rd Division, PathPix, Canabalt, Squareball, iBlast Moki etc... it's basically non-existent but damn those games are addicting. I find that most games on iPhone that have a deep and involving story suffer somewhere else, often the length of the game as is the case with most RPGs. They're longer than other iPhone games, but still weak compared to RPGs on other platforms.

So... replayability and content for me. Unlocking stuff is always fun.

8. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    replay value is the most important thing in a app.

9. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    We may shop around on impulse but after a few time, we'd realize that we do better off buying something that we can keep playing again ;)

10. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Well the gfx and replay value plays the biggest role in buying the app but the replay value the most i think because you want to buy a app that you will keep on your phone.