Where do you look for freelance developers?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jamescam, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I'm currently working on a new project and went to the major freelance sites to find freelance development but so far I'm not impressed with the results and have tried a couple different teams. Can anyone share with me where they found their freelance developers? Developer recommendations are also encouraged. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    unity forums are a good place to find freelance developers if you are looking for that language. There is a forum especially for it.

Generally working with a developer is very much a mixed bag and pot luck it seems. This is based heavily upon people paying way below market rates for developers and thus getting a quality to match. Realistically a developer should be charging 50 an hour, but I know most projects charge way way way less.

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Would help to know what type of developer (C++, Unity,objective c ...)

4. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Would help to know what type of developer (C++, Unity,objective c ...)

Unity preferred as I like the portability to other platforms (including Windows). Destined had a good suggestion with the Unity forums but Im still looking for suggestions if someone else had other luck (or knows a good 2D developer).

Thanks for the help!

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    If you prefer unity, go to the forums and work in very small milestones.

Many people there work way below market rates.

6. plicatibu

plicatibu Member

May 3, 2012
    Developer
    Brazil
    The best place to hire professionals is odesk dot com.

You put your job description and professionals apply to it.

Just be sure to put a very detailed description of the job. Otherwise you may have problems.

7. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    price

[QU?OTE=Destined;3157048]unity forums are a good place to find freelance developers if you are looking for that language. There is a forum especially for it.

Generally working with a developer is very much a mixed bag and pot luck it seems. This is based heavily upon people paying way below market rates for developers and thus getting a quality to match. Realistically a developer should be charging 50 an hour, but I know most projects charge way way way less.[/QUOTE]

Can you give am example of price and game they charge?

8. plicatibu

plicatibu Member

May 3, 2012
    Developer
    Brazil
    Let me disagree in a point: the amount of money required to live well varies a lot.

In case you live in USA or UK you probably will need to ask at least $50 / hour.

In case you live in China, Brazil (my country), Vietnam, India, or any other country the amount of money you need to live is drastically different.

So an excellent programmer from India may do a job for (say) $20/hour while a developer of USA cannot.

Just the price asked won't determine the quality of a professional. But again, I recommend you hire someone on odesk dot com because you won't risk to pay for a service not delivered (or delivered out of your specification) and you (as developer) incurs in no risk of working and don't be paid in the end.

You can even find developer in a forum. But tell him to subscribe in odesk. It won't cost him any cent (sponsor pays fees - 10% of total amount expended in the project) and both will be safe.

9. ChaosInteractive

ChaosInteractive Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Game developper
    France
    I work from France and for less than 50$/hours. (roughly 30).
    I think plicatibu is right, use a freelance services, or look at our portoflio and write a contract.

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013

Can you give am example of price and game they charge?[/QUOTE]

Go there post what you want and ask for quotes. You will get plenty if your project is easy :)

On the price, i agree from a freelance point of view for someone like me less than 50 an hour would be a waste of time, but there are lots of people looking for experience projects who will accept way less. It is why i never consider freelance work because I know I will be too expensive unless it is a bigger company.